Grab vs taxis

12 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I don't understand what you're talking about, but Grab listed prices are much higher than Bolt. My problem getting a ride to Bangkok was not because they were busy (it was 7 am), but because no one wanted to go to Bangkok. There were a lot of available cars nearby, but they canceled my orders, not me. I had an important appointment in Bangkok so I had no time to mess around. Next time I need to go to Bangkok, I won't use either of these apps.

I was not refering to bkok trips,local.Why would they jump at a cheap oneway bkk trip at peak time. But your right about one thing...dumb idea to begin with! 

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

Recently, I saw a vlogger sharing experiences regarding the apps of 'Bolt' and 'Grab'
Don't have any experience with them but thought it might be useful to have that app on the phone.
But to activate you have to give a cc number right away, find that a bit tricky, so without booking anything they do have my cc number, or is that normal these days?

A credit card number is not needed to download, or book, Grab or Bolt.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, still kicking said:

I am not in Thailand we have Uber which is the same as Grab and Uber is miles cheaper as a taxi. Example from my place to the airport (which is I guess a 20minutes drive) Uber charge me 28 AUD but taxi about up to 40AUD.

In London a black-taxi costs....

In New York a taxi cost...

In Monaco a private Helicopter is.....  

I think that makes the point - but for those who don't get it... The price differential of anywhere else but Thailand is completely irrelevant to this thread. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Recently, I saw a vlogger sharing experiences regarding the apps of 'Bolt' and 'Grab'
Don't have any experience with them but thought it might be useful to have that app on the phone.
But to activate you have to give a cc number right away, find that a bit tricky, so without booking anything they do have my cc number, or is that normal these days?

Grab is a listed company. NYSE if I'm not mistaken. You won't have a problem with them regarding your CC unless of course they get hacked to some point - but that can happen to any company really.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think that makes the point - but for those who don't get it... The price differential of anywhere else but Thailand is completely irrelevant to this thread. 

Why is that? Most posters on here compare how cheap Thailand is compared to other countries, you like me to compare how cheap wine and cheese is in my country compared to Thailand? And by the way Uber is Grab over here.

• Confused 2

No they don't...     They only need your CC details IF you are going to use your Credit Card as a payment method. 

If paying cash - there is no requirement to input credit card details. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Olmate said:

I was not refering to bkok trips,local.Why would they jump at a cheap oneway bkk trip at peak time. But your right about one thing...dumb idea to begin with! 

What's the dumb idea? Trying to get a cheap ride to Bangkok, or using these services? Why else would I bother using these services other than to try to get a good price?

I jumped to higher price categories until I finally got an opportunity to negotiate with a private service. After seeing how small the cheaper cars are I was happy I didn't get an opportunity to ride in one to Bangkok.

I think this is a problem trying to get rides to Bangkok from Pattaya as I had no problem getting a ride from Bangkok to Pattaya in the afternoon.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, still kicking said:
15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why is that? Most posters on here compare how cheap Thailand is compared to other countries, you like me to compare how cheap wine and cheese is in my country compared to Thailand? And by the way Uber is Grab over here.

Becase the comparison in the Op is between GRAB and a regular Taxi.

This would be the same as Comparing the price of a Burger King in Thailand to the Price of a McDonalds, then someone piping up and stating that their Big Mac cost them £10 in London.

Everyone has the right to draw such international comparisons, but when doing so out of context they overstep the privilege of their response being considered sensible or intelligent. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Becase the comparison in the Op is between GRAB and a regular Taxi.

This would be the same as Comparing the price of a Burger King in Thailand to the Price of a McDonalds, then someone piping up and stating that their Big Mac cost them £10 in London.

Everyone has the right to draw such international comparisons, but when doing so out of context they overstep the privilege of their response being considered sensible or intelligent. 

Wow I haven't seen an intelligent or sensible post from you yet 

41 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I don't understand what you're talking about, but Grab listed prices are much higher than Bolt. My problem getting a ride to Bangkok was not because they were busy (it was 7 am), but because no one wanted to go to Bangkok. There were a lot of available cars nearby, but they canceled my orders, not me. I had an important appointment in Bangkok so I had no time to mess around. Next time I need to go to Bangkok, I won't use either of these apps.

Friends nearly missed a flight because of a GRAB cancellation - They'd booked earlier in the day... then just before they were due to leave home, the GRAB driver cancelled and they were left stranded deep inside their Moobaan.... 

They had to drive to the front of their moobaan *(housing estate)... get a flag-fall taxi, ask him to follow them to their house, park their car, then get in the taxi with bags on their laps because the Taxi has an LPG tank and wouldn't fit all their luggage... 

...  a right PITA because of the atrocious levels of service which seem tolerated within this company. 

---------

Wife travelling next week (a very early start) I've advised her to forget about GRAB and just book an AOT Limo - more expensive, but at that time of the morning she'll want reliability and not worry that a a driver cancels the 'pre-booked' ride on a whim which then has a very negative knock-on effect to the start of the day. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Grab and Bolt seem to be a very emotional and confusing experience for many forum members.

Its just 'jeffing' irritating when something is supposed to be a convenience but ends up on so many occasions being a hinderance. 

Its getting to the stage where the original 'taxi radio' is a better option (if its still going).

(*taxi radio - is the orignial system of phoning up for a taxi and they announce it over the 'taxi radio' and a taxi accepts the ride - the additional cost to flag fall was 20 baht).

There are numerous occasions where I'm popping out to play football etc...  and call a grab... none available or too far away, or accept the ride and cancel etc... I pre-empt this with an earlier booking, but they cancel last minute. 

I don't want to take the motorcycle or drive myself because I'll be having a beer afterwards....  So the Wife ends up taking me.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its just 'jeffing' irritating when something is supposed to be a convenience but ends up on so many occasions being a hinderance. 

Its getting to the stage where the original 'taxi radio' is a better option (if its still going).

(*taxi radio - is the orignial system of phoning up for a taxi and they announce it over the 'taxi radio' and a taxi accepts the ride - the additional cost to flag fall was 20 baht).

There are numerous occasions where I'm popping out to play football etc...  and call a grab... none available or too far away, or accept the ride and cancel etc... I pre-empt this with an earlier booking, but they cancel last minute. 

I don't want to take the motorcycle or drive myself because I'll be having a beer afterwards....  So the Wife ends up taking me.

I agree, but I was referring to all the confused and sad icons members are using here...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I agree, but I was referring to all the confused and sad icons members are using here...

Thats just halfwitted trolls being... half witted trolls - though there are a few posters on this thread unworthy of any response other than disdain for their absense of any value.... 

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

Here's what I do

Bangkok - mainly taxis as cheap.

Elsewhere mainly apps - I have Grab, Bolt and Maxim and compare prices. If prices are within 10 baht I use Grab as their maps are better. Maxim maps are terrible,hard to find lots of places but they are cheap. Bolt maps are ok but Grab is best.

Pay in baht. That way if you cancel they cant charge your card.

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

What's the dumb idea? Trying to get a cheap ride to Bangkok, or using these services? Why else would I bother using these services other than to try to get a good price?

I jumped to higher price categories until I finally got an opportunity to negotiate with a private service. After seeing how small the cheaper cars are I was happy I didn't get an opportunity to ride in one to Bangkok.

I think this is a problem trying to get rides to Bangkok from Pattaya as I had no problem getting a ride from Bangkok to Pattaya in the afternoon.

Excellent, you have just explained why its a dumb idea! 

Excellent, you have just explained why its a dumb idea! Seems the grab folk are one up on you

Excellent, you have just explained why its a dumb idea! Seems the grab folk are one up on you.. nuff said.! 

Excellent, you have just explained why its a dumb idea! Tons of well priced cabs to Bkk from Patts! 

18 hours ago, MrPancake said:

Is Grab still worth it these days ?

I've heard that in some countries Grab is now becoming more expensive than regular taxis.

Is it the case in Thailand ?

Grab is consistently more expensive than regular taxis. But at least it uses best way to get you to destination you choose. The actual cost of trip however depends on the traffic, weather and number of available taxis. I generally used JustGrab. It is usually 50-100% more than regular taxi meter.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, MrPancake said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, this way - The Mall is about 5-5.5 km from me. Regular taxi would take about 70-80 THB. Grab will quote me between 160 and 250 THB. LineMan around 100-120. Bolt between 90 and 100, but that doesn't help much as mostly nobody accepts, or it gets cancelled and I eventually need to take something else anyway. For longer distances, the difference comes down to maybe 50%, so if normal taxi was about 200, Grab would be 300-400, depending on traffic. I am comparing between what Grab quoted me for "JustGrab" vs. what I actually paid for taxi hailed from the same spot to same destination at about same time. And yes, difference is quite large. But what's even more interesting is that the Grab app states that entire tip goes to driver. As driver was a bit fast to check his phone I could see that either he lost half of the fare or my tip was cut. Since then I would give drivers tip in cash.

All that said - I use Grab sometimes several times in a day. Yes, it's more expensive than regular cab, but it's convenient, drivers are OK, so are cars. Looks like they do some vetting before they allow them to join the platform. A few times I was given a premium car, and once a van. Bit of an overkill for 1 person...