Bicycle Shop Wanted

Mike Lister

I want to buy a bike for exercise, (not a stationary machine type and not off road).

I'm looking for reasonable quality at a sensible price, I'm in Mae Rim.

Where do I go? (Probably not interested in Tesco/Big C etc)

TIA

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Yes I've seen those, I'm asking which ones people recommend etc.

8 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Any recommendations for helpful/decent shops?

From Mae Rim to towards  Chiang Mai a bit past Macro on same side is a small but good bike shop, many bikes visible in front.  It is just about across from the Tire Plus shop, big tire shop.

• Love It 1

9 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

From Mae Rim to towards  Chiang Mai a bit past Macro on same side is a small but good bike shop, many bikes visible in front.  It is just about across from the Tire Plus shop, big tire shop.

Thank you Bill, I'll take a look.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Trek, Giant, Merida .... That's about it. The Decathlon bikes are junk.

Decathlon bikes are not junk - they have the RC520 at the moment, running the 105 groupset - and it is a quality bike  for 25,000. Should check out the dudes on Cade Media, they have tested these bikes, and one of them is bike packing in Malaysia on the Van Rysel bike from Decathlon 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

I want to buy a bike for exercise, (not a stationary machine type and not off road).

TIA

Me too. Let us know how you get on. I would go look at a couple of shops. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

TIA

I have had good experience with Jacky Bike and Anek Bikes ( Trek MTB service).  Both shops are outside the old city. 

Both are professional shops and offer a wide range of bikes and services. 

Look into a Gravel Bike …. Capable for pavement, gravel & dirt roads with a more comfortable frame configuration and wider tires than a pure road bike.

This is very popular now and there are also many riding groups or activities in the CM area if you are interested. 
cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

Helpful hint to the OP upon obtaining a bike. Buy a catapult and some glass marbles from a 20 Baht shop and use them if attacked. Thereafter just hang the catapult on the handle bar and just the sight of it will stop the dogs.

What type of bike are you looking for?

MTB, road, hybrid?

MTB's are comfortable rides, sitting more upright.  You'll appreciate the lower gears in the hills.  Switch to narrower tires with less profile for road use.  Trekking bars (or at least bar ends) will give you more hand positions.

How tall are you?  If average foreigner height, you may have trouble finding a frame large enough.

1 minute ago, NoDisplayName said:

What type of bike are you looking for?

MTB, road, hybrid?

MTB's are comfortable rides, sitting more upright.  You'll appreciate the lower gears in the hills.  Switch to narrower tires with less profile for road use.  Trekking bars (or at least bar ends) will give you more hand positions.

How tall are you?  If average foreigner height, you may have trouble finding a frame large enough.

I'm 188 cms. I'm going to use it to replace jogging which is getting harder on my knees and back. Mostly flat, road thru the rice fields, my old jogging route plus around the moobahn, nothing adventurous.

5 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I'm 188 cms. I'm going to use it to replace jogging which is getting harder on my knees and back. Mostly flat, road thru the rice fields, my old jogging route plus around the moobahn, nothing adventurous.

Ah, I thought you'd be riding up the hills for workouts.  In your case, you don't need anything special or ueber-expensive.  Just a basic, decent-quality bike, 3-speed beach cruiser might do for you.   

Difficult part will be finding a large enough frame.  You're going to need a 22-24" MTB or 60-64 cm road frame.  Try Craigslist for foreigners selling their bikes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Try Decathlon.  Look online first.

Wherever you go, don't let them sell you one that's too small.

100% this - they'll also deliver.... 

Op can go and take a look... There is a Decathlon in Chiang Mai.

Bikes are decent.... not really high end but good value IMO... 

IF I was buying another bike I'd get one from Decathlon.

(I have a Specialized road bike and a Scott Mountain bike) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

At 188cm tall..... Look for a 29'er... i.e. a Mountain bike with 29" wheels - it'll be solid and comfortable and stable. 

Kind of ideal for what you are looking for. 

These are your options.

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en-TH/c/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes.html?size_en=XL+-+185-200cm%2CL

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

At 188cm tall..... Look for a 29'er... i.e. a Mountain bike with 29" wheels - it'll be solid and comfortable and stable. 

Kind of ideal for what you are looking for. 

These are your options.

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en-TH/c/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes.html?size_en=XL+-+185-200cm%2CL

Many thanks Richard

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Thereafter just hang the catapult on the handle bar

I just use a 50-cm bamboo cane slotted in the back carrier which I can deploy in seconds and growl and threaten at dogs snarling at me.  Works every time.

• Haha 1

Go out the old Lamphun road, At the traffic lights just past the 89 Plaza, turn left, go past the Police Station and about 100 metres on the left is a good second hand shop with mainly Japanese imports at reasonable prices. It is open in the evenings and Saturday and Sunday.

Staff do not speak much English,but the telephone number is 0896374922. I bought one there 6 years ago and it is still going well.

• Like 1

I had needs similar to OP, and bought mine at Anek, on canal road on the Hang Dong side.  Quite happy with their choice of options and service, one staff spoke decent English. Admittedly very far from Mae Rim, but if your problem is to cycle back you can always call a Grab pick-up truck to drive it back with or without you, I did that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Decathlon bikes are not junk - they have the RC520 at the moment, running the 105 groupset - and it is a quality bike  for 25,000. Should check out the dudes on Cade Media, they have tested these bikes, and one of them is bike packing in Malaysia on the Van Rysel bike from Decathlon 

Actually that bike is quite a porker....

*WEIGHT 10.4 kg in size M, without pedals - 23.4 LB

That is going to sting going up Doi Suthep 😉 

That aside Van Rysel   is making some good but expensive nice bikes now RCR & have sponsored a Pro World Tour Team AG2R

OP you should do as another poster suggested & look at used especially in CM there are many

Try a aluminum road bike with rim brakes for light weight & a great deal....Like a Trek ALR or even carbon like Giant TCR etc

Edited by mania

20 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

TIA

Decathlon 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, mania said:

OP you should do as another poster suggested & look at used especially in CM there are many

Try a aluminum road bike with rim brakes for light weight & a great deal....Like a Trek ALR or even carbon like Giant TCR etc

Not sure road bikes are suitable for Mike.

Hard on the bum and privates, generally uncomfortable especially for a n00b.

S/h MTB is the way to go, far more comfortable to ride, and an easier option for a bit of exercise.

As an old person, I've sold a my road bikes, just kept a Giant hybrid and a Merida Matts MTB.

You really need a bike with front suspension and wider (comfortable) tires as you get older.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

As an avid cyclist who owns four different bikes and bikes daily after selling the ex and letting her take the car.   Be aware, u get what u pay.   Cheap bike, cheap equipment.     New bikes will lose 40-60% when u take them out of the shop..   Most new bikes are using lower cost components to be competitive.    Many seasonal farang bikers try to sell their bike before they go back their country.    There are some good buys there as they are left with little choice as their departure date nears.

if your in the CNX area and you need a retired bike engineer and former bike shop owner to inspect a bike for you or even chat about a bike u have located, contact    P-bike AT asia.com.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Any recommendations for helpful/decent shops?

Can help locate, repair or just chat about a potential bike purchase.   Retired bike shop owner 

P-bike at asia dot com

• Thanks 1