Why did Hollywood become so boring ?

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

the Transformer type garbage,

I used to enjoy them. The totty is always spectacular.

Like someone said to me way back when I was in school, just because it's garbage it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

IMO most of the real movie garbage are the ones that win Oscars, the ones that the makers and actors think are important. Movies are for enjoyment. If I want social justice or some such BS I'll tune into the UN or some other irrelevant organisation, like parliament.

I had an operation in 1980 and was in a ward that only had the parliament channel on the bedside headphones. Talk about a pack of idiots squabbling over BS! I've never had much respect for them since then.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nearly all can be downloaded on the torrent sites, you can download to your heart's content in Thailand, there are no legal issues, no FBI intrusion.

1 GB download speeds with fiber optic at a very low cost, it's a very favorable environment for downloading TV and movies. 

Are you saying it's OK in Thailand to steal intellectual property?

• Confused 2

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They've made nothing worth watching since American Beauty and Fight Club.

I'm currently working backwards,

yesterday Witness with Harrison Ford

And before that Carlito's way and Scarface.

All the best movies were made in the 1980s and 1990s!

Ex Machina, try that, I liked American beauty too, fight club not so much.....The Painted Veil was  good with the  fightclub bloke in it

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Absolutely. I think it's okay to steal from corporations anywhere in the world, however in the west they pursue you for that kind of stuff. Here they don't thankfully. I steal movies, books, music, TV shows, software, and anything else that's available on the torrent sites, and it doesn't affect my conscience one iota. As a matter of fact I love stealing from corporations, it's a hobby of mine, any opportunity I get. 

If you want to give these toxic corporations your money that's your business. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is stealing something of no value, really stealing ?  Not like I would have paid to watch anything I've downloaded.  Not even at a 50 baht price for a DVD copy.  Regret almost all those purchases in the past.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/27/2024 at 2:13 PM, BritManToo said:

They've made nothing worth watching since American Beauty and Fight Club.

Don't forget the movie where they had a half floor in an office.  That was pure genius.😆

Well. one of the problems of living in Thailand is that many good movies don't come around. Do I remember correctly that Star Wars was not shown in Thailand when it first came out? I still go to see action films in the cinema as those seem to be the main types of movies shown, but really, nothing intelligent makes it here.

It might be a good idea to have a long thread of good new movies on AN, with a brief review of why each is worth watching.

That said, my bête noir concerning modern movies is how dark they are - please don't recommend anything that remains so dark the viewer has no idea what's happening on screen for a length of time. 😞 

It sounds like it comes down to the following:

1, Streaming meant there isn't enough money in movies due to no DVD release.

2, Pleasing shareholders and studios scared to take risks.

3, Way too much exposure of celebrities due to social media reducing their appeal.

4, "The message" being injected into movies and making them "lame and gay".

• Agree 2

Because of wokeism (feminism, minority rights, diversity, LGBT ...). As a consequence for instance you get scifi and war movies where women are commanding officers.  Everybody knows that's not the way Society works.

Black-and-white film noirs from the 50s and 60s is what I still watch from time to time plus some western movies, where men are men and women are women.

• Thumbs Up 1