Thailand’s car industry hits the brakes: Production plunges 20%

snoop1130

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Toyota has announced they will put on sale in Thailand an EV version of the Hilux by end of 2025. They plan to put six pre-production models on trial in Pattaya by end of 2024. (Shudder)

I think the Hilux will be a good seller in Thailand for those who wish to transport stuff around, so they will always sell.

But what will the cost be?

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I think the Hilux will be a good seller in Thailand for those who wish to transport stuff around, so they will always sell.

But what will the cost be?

Prolly have a payload of 500kg and a battery range of 200km.

Neither would appeal to anyone but an EV fanboi.

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

You literally just made up something that is ridiculous. Why? Seriously, what's the point?

I could say the next Fortuner is probably going to be made out of chocolate, will have a one litre fuel tank and no sound proofing. Will be useless to anyone but a diesel fanboi.

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

You literally just made up something that is ridiculous. Why? Seriously, what's the point?

I could say the next Fortuner is probably going to be made out of chocolate, will have a one litre fuel tank and no sound proofing. Will be useless to anyone but a diesel fanboi.

What the specs then champ ?

Well western companies are moving out. Parts companies are moving out. So, that leaves China to support Thailand's auto market. Thailand better hope China turns around and becomes the center of the universe or Thailand will end up an automotive wasteland. And at present China is in pretty bad shape.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

What on earth are you on about? Mouthy about what?? Are you upset because I changed champ to chump? Sorry snowflake, I apologise.

I never mentioned the Toyota at all, just replied to your completely made up jibe about it:

We get it, you love diesel, you're manly and like your trucks to rattle and smell, Donald Trump is amazing, that's all fine. But don't make up ridiculous stats about something just to slag it off when those stats haven't even been released yet and you just made them up! Again, what's the point?

I have respect for people who say, "EVs are not for me or my lifestyle" (true for many people). Or, "I just love petrol engines and can't get away from that" (used to be true for me). That's fine. But why post lies to discredit them? It doesn't do you any favours.

I don't like motorbikes but I don't go on motorbike forums to lie about them, make up ridiculously untrue things about them, I just don't buy or ride motorbikes. If only the anti EV brigade would be the same. But then I guess you just like making noise (like your smelly rattly vehicle).

He still won't answer what parts this "tier 1" company is supposedly supplying. That's quite funny because my wife is also a parts supplier for Honda, Toyota, Mazda and pretty much every Japanese manufacturer in Thailand for the past 20 years.

Of course if he is really a parts supplier he would know that manufacturers don't directly sell to car companies as they actually sell to Thai distributors.

It could be that he is another massive liar like that other guy that claims a 100,000b salary is normal for Thais.

But of course, he could just answer what parts he is selling and correct me if I'm wrong. 

Edited by Celsius

13 minutes ago, Celsius said:

He still won't answer what parts this "tier 1" company is supposedly supplying. That's quite funny because my wife is also a parts supplier for Honda, Toyota, Mazda and pretty much every Japanese manufacturer in Thailand for the past 20 years.

Of course if he is really a parts supplier he would know that manufacturers don't directly sell to car companies as they actually sell to Thai distributors.

It could be that he is another massive liar like that other guy that claims a 100,000b salary is normal for Thais.

But of course, he could just answer what parts he is selling and correct me if I'm wrong. 

The chassis under pickups... is tier 1 supplied.

I supply parts that the automakers bolt to the chassis... hence we are tier 1 as well.

We have milk run trucks leaving our facility 3 times a day direct to the assembly lines.

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The chassis under pickups... is tier 1 supplied.

I supply parts that the automakers bolt to the chassis... hence we are tier 1 as well.

We have milk run trucks leaving our facility 3 times a day direct to the assembly lines.

well, thank you for the answer