UN: At least 32 Ukrainian POWs executed in Russian captivity during winter

image.png

The Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has released a report revealing disturbing findings regarding the treatment of Ukrainian prisoners of war (POWs) in Russian captivity during the winter months. According to the report issued on March 26, at least 32 Ukrainian POWs have been executed by Russian forces between December 1, 2023, and February 29.

This report adds to the mounting evidence of Ukrainian POWs being subjected to torture and violence while in Russian captivity since the onset of Russia's full-scale war against Ukraine. The Ukrainian Prosecutor General's Office had initiated 19 criminal investigations into the execution of 45 Ukrainian POWs by late February.

The OHCHR report, based on interviews with 60 Ukrainian soldiers who were released from captivity, documents 12 cases of executions involving at least 32 Ukrainian POWs during the winter period. Specifically, the report verifies three incidents where Russian servicemen executed seven Ukrainian servicemen hors de combat.

The testimonies of the released Ukrainian soldiers corroborate previous accounts of widespread torture, inhumane treatment, and punishment inflicted upon Ukrainian POWs in Russian captivity. Moreover, the report highlights that the detention conditions faced by Ukrainian POWs do not adhere to international legal standards.

In addition to documenting the plight of Ukrainian POWs, OHCHR also interviewed 44 Russian prisoners of war. While these Russian prisoners did not report torture in official Ukrainian detention facilities, the OHCHR report acknowledges credible allegations of torture and ill-treatment of Russian POWs in transit locations following their evacuation from the battlefield.

The dire conditions experienced by Ukrainian POWs in Russian captivity were further exposed by an investigation conducted by the Kyiv Independent in December. The investigation revealed instances of inhumane detention conditions, hunger, and torture at Olenivka prison, situated in Russian-occupied Donetsk Oblast.

The OHCHR report underscores the urgent need for accountability and justice for victims of human rights violations in the context of the conflict between Russia and Ukraine. It emphasizes the imperative for all parties to adhere to international humanitarian law and ensure the humane treatment of prisoners of war.

Source

image.png

While I am in no way saying the report isn't true, I find it strange that Russia would allow the execution of prisoners that would be valuable to exchange for Russian POWS in Ukraine. Perhaps it was done without permission, though I'd find that puzzling as well.

Dead POWs are only good for generating propaganda from the other side.

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I am in no way saying the report isn't true, I find it strange that Russia would allow the execution of prisoners that would be valuable to exchange for Russian POWS in Ukraine. Perhaps it was done without permission, though I'd find that puzzling as well.

Dead POWs are only good for generating propaganda from the other side.

Its a UN report, if you want to question it that's up to you. Your ever lasting support for Russia and its war crimes is rock solid. Keep it up, you must be very proud of yourself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Terrible if true, and it comes from the UN, so I hope that the UN smearers realise that the UN as a body is worth supporting and defending for the excellent work they do in so many areas.

I only disagree with the Security Council having a veto. I recognise that the UN agencies do a needed job.

Resolutions need to be approved by a super majority of the general assembly with no veto power by vested interests.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1