At least six construction workers killed in crane collapse

george

48 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Yes and no.

The Occupational Safety, Health, and Environmental Act of 2011 (OSH) is the overarching law for occupational safety and health regulations in Thailand.

Arguably; implementation, management, and enforcement of this Act are the main problems here.

Thailand could do with stricter regulations that focus on specific activities, such as lifting. In the UK, lifting comes under LOLER, and it is strictly enforced. 

But without enforcement, any new regulations are ultimately pointless.

In the UK the CEO is implicated in the event of an accident at work . For that reason h&s compliance is paramount as failure to comply could mean prison and a hefty fine . Some might say that in the UK h&s rules are OTT and an encumbrance  on working progress . In the UK there are often qualified h&s officers on site making sure everyone is working safely and compliant with  a work permit for the daily task and wearing the correct PPE . In the event of an accident at work there will be an investigation by the government HSE and that is serious stuff and an accident may be seen as a criminal act with jail and heavy fines for the C.E.O. For that reason , workplace h&s in Thailand will not change . However if say an American construction company are working in Thailand that may make a difference . 

6 hours ago, DjSilver said:

And, as I am, I'm not surprised. Since there is no work place safety regulations in Thailand. If you die, you die. And Thai people can't think in advance. "If it hasn't happened yet, it won't happen". Until it happens, and than it's to late.

Welcome to Thailand

Is Baltimore in Thailand?   Apparently the officials there didn't think very well in advance.  It also appears that the only Thais that were involved were the rescue workers . Why is a Chinese company building a steel factory with migrant workers in Thailand?   Rhetorical question

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember a job I was on in the Middle East and there was an accident. Nothing too serious but could have been. There was a meeting and people was blaming the safety people of the contractor. I agreed they contractors staff should have been supervising the operation but I also complained that the company safety personnel didn't bother either. They didn't like that.

The problem is with the owner's representatives agreeing to pay now to get into the site and then reneging on the promise later as is common in dealing with slimeballs like this.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Cranes are a danger, living here I will warn you, stay away from cranes. Weekly occurance here. 

When you look carefully at the bits of this crane then you see why it collapsed. It would not hold up in a safety inspection.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

These workers are not doing themselves any favours by stopping rescue/recovery from Thai rescue teams. Beating up a rescue vehicle? 

Not the cleverest move but possibly understandable.

Very understandable, safety, what safety. 

This will go on, no one will do anything about it.