Russians in Thailand

eumenades

On 3/30/2024 at 3:24 PM, eumenades said:

It will take a heck of a lot of patience to deal with Russians in Thailand. But we have to bear in mind that they have a very difficult history in terms of tolerance and oppression. Their government treats them like <deleted> and they can do the same to other people. Physically, Russians resemble Europeans, but psychologically there are tremendous differences. Be patient and try to explain things. Probably, you will find them isolationists at first sight. But show an appreciation for their history and, especially their famous writers. Tolerance is a keyword, but don't accept chauvinistic bull<deleted>. Solzhenitsyn is probably the best, and most readable, Russian writer. Remember he suffered tremendous persecution and was sentenced to the Gulags. But he got out of it. We can get out of it too!

So how you explain the annoying drunk brits in that case?

• Haha 1

Let's just have a "Bash Russians, Chinese, and Middle Eastern Muslims Day" and just get all of the hatred and vitriol out in the open.  Then show your patriotism by flying back to your home country and volunteering for military service.

It's amazing to watch Westerners hype war-fever, enmity, and Western nationalism day-in and day-out.  Then when you get what your asking for -- WWIII -- you morons do understand that China is a stone's throw away from you, right? 

The entire world would work just fine if all parties agreed to participate in global trade while staying out of the domestic affairs of member nations.  Well, not to worry.  Everyone here is going to probably find out what a nuclear war looks like while your personal "leaders" and the billionaire class go underground.

"Sucks to be you peasant ground-dwellers." 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, curtklay said:

I hate everybody. 

They're rioting in Africa
They're starving in Spain
There's hurricanes in Florida
And Texas needs rain

The whole world is festering with unhappy souls
The French hate the Germans, the Germans hate the Poles
Italians hate Yugoslavs, South Africans hate the Dutch
And I don't like anybody very much!!

But we can be tranquil and thankful and proud
For man's been endowed with a mushroom-shaped cloud

And we know for certain that some lovely day
Someone will set the spark off
And we will all be blown away!!

They're rioting in Africa
There's strife in Iran

What nature doesn't do to us
Will be done by our fellow man

Edited by connda
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

Call me stupid, but I've tried a couple of famous Soviet writers and found them to be incredibly boring. Never seeming to get to the point. Give me a good modern novel any day.

Try some Russian ones instead- Gogol, Chekhov, Turgenev, Goncharov, Gorky, Lermontov, Tolstoy-some of the greatest writers ever.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/30/2024 at 6:53 PM, save the frogs said:

a 2nd thread about russia by eumanedes?

wow.

Russia has no fault divorce laws.

So Putin 1 / The West 0

Russia has Putin. 

So West 1 / Russia 0

• Haha 2

Solzhenitsyn is probably the best, and most readable, Russian writer. Remember he suffered tremendous persecution and was sentenced to the Gulags. But he got out of it. We can get out of it too!

Bulgakov 😉

40 minutes ago, impulse said:

My favorite beach resort in Jomtien used to cater to Eastern Europeans.  Mostly Russkies, Belarussians, Ukrainians and East Germans.  With their families, I found them to be delightful people and very receptive to striking up a conversation in English.  And they all got along well with each other.

In fairness, I did not party with them.  Just at the beach during the day.  And they weren't solo travelers (mongers).  They were at the beach with their families.  And, being a resort, they were tourists.  Not long stay.

Then circumstances changed, the Eastern European tourism dropped off and the place was inundated with Chinese tourists.  Who were generally delightful, as well.

I guess you generally find what you're seeking.  And what you're giving off.

You would have has a wonderful time in Prora in the 1940's.

On 3/31/2024 at 1:13 AM, ADog said:

Russia has vast supplies of oil and gas it has the intelligence to get out the ground, as opposed to follow what the demented Swedish says.

Russia 10 - 0 UK/Europe

Russia still has slim women  11 - 0 UK/Europe

Russia is not intent on destroying its society and culture with mass immigration of feral Africans and unskilled Muslims, that rely on predominantly white males to subsidise their existence via social security system.

Seems UK/Europe has lost to a cesspit like Russia!

Do you believe UK is not Europe, may be an own Continent?

2 hours ago, BE88 said:

You can say anything against the Russians but so far they have not yet been in the newspapers for attacking a policeman or other Thais, so until proven otherwise they respect Thai laws better than other Western expats.

Better to watch Fabolous 103 News today.

A Singaporean friend was the head of a major international oilfield services company in Russia for some years. He was based in Moscow but his job took him wherever oil and gas were to be found, plus the centres of power. He got to know some extremely rich and powerful Russians, and his verdict was that while they were incredibly wealthy, educated and cultured, they always longed for a strongman to rule over them and tell them what to do. He couldn't say why they had this national trait, but it helps explain a lot of Russian history.

On 3/30/2024 at 3:34 PM, champers said:

I remember reading A Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich. Bleak but recommended.

Solzhenitsyn is a vile and terrible traitor to Mother Russia, one of the worst. Read Dostoyevsky instead, can't go wrong. The Soviet era is dead, but some folk cannot let go and their eyes are still poisoned by Stalin. I think if Lenin had lived the Soviet Union would have turned out a better place than having a psychopath (Stalin) at its head at a crucial time. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BE88 said:

You can say anything against the Russians but so far they have not yet been in the newspapers for attacking a policeman or other Thais, so until proven otherwise they respect Thai laws better than other Western expats.

No, not "a policeman." They attack a "police team." 

It will take a heck of a lot of patience to deal with Russians in Thailand. But we have to bear in mind that they have a very difficult history in terms of tolerance and oppression. Their government treats them like <deleted> and they can do the same to other people. Physically, Russians resemble Europeans, but psychologically there are tremendous differences. Be patient and try to explain things. Probably, you will find them isolationists at first sight. But show an appreciation for their history and, especially their famous writers. Tolerance is a keyword, but don't accept chauvinistic bull<deleted>. Solzhenitsyn is probably the best, and most readable, Russian writer. Remember he suffered tremendous persecution and was sentenced to the Gulags. But he got out of it. We can get out of it too!

Keep dreaming buddy

Tolerance is a keyword, but don't accept chauvinistic bull<deleted>. Solzhenitsyn is probably the best, and most readable, Russian writer. Remember he suffered tremendous persecution and was sentenced to the Gulags.

stupid op

read this jack!

On 3/31/2024 at 2:09 AM, spidermike007 said:

The vast majority of Russians I have met, seem to have very, very few redeeming qualities. It is no wonder. I can only speak from my experience. Have run into alot of Russians both in the US, and on Phuket and Samui, 98% of them seem to be grumpy, unfriendly and gruff. Some of them are downright hostile. Likely a reflection of a very, very rough culture and environment. So, perhaps it is not a coincidence that the world is not standing up to support them and show them kindness? Just an observation.

I think it is a reflection of the current culture. It was destroyed over a century of callous and murderous leadership. Stalin, Lenin, Khruschev, now Putin. They have become somewhat savage and crude. No grace, no finesse, no courtesy. Rather uncivilized. My family was from Russia a few generations back. I used to ask my great-grandmother when she was still around, why they didn't teach us anything about the old country. She would give me this look, and tell me "the reason we never teach you about the place we came from, is because the place we came from was the most horrific country on earth, it was the most destitute, horrible, oppressive place and we were thrilled to finally get out of there and leave it behind. That's why we don't teach you about the old country, the old country doesn't exist for us. 

There are a multitude of reasons why very few around the world have sympathy for the Russians. Those reasons are not limited to their serial killing, despot, thieving multi billionaire dictator for life. It is more about their nature, their history as ruthless, homicidal Cossack warriors, and their total lack of manners, and class. Not to mention the dignity, class, decency, civility, and social skills decades of Leninism, Stalinism, and now Putinism has stripped them of. 

It seems like a lot of impressions are very biased. I have been to Russia quite a bit, can speak the language and have met many of them. My impression has always been of friendly, hospitable and warm-hearted people with a big interest in their rich culture of art, literature and music. They do have a harsh history, but many have ways of coping. I think the Russians who we meet in tourist areas are a different breed. The same goes for other nationalities.

• Like 1

I have to say that eumenades reflects the current Russophobia in Western minds rather aptly. Russia has not, like Britain, US, Holland, Germany, Belgium, France Spain and Portugal gone around the world enslaving, colonising and spreading it's racist filth across the world. Russia has in its Soviet form aided the anti imperialist cause and as such has massive reserves of support throughout the global South for its support in, say, South Africa, Vietnam, South and Central America and not least the Arab world where it has been the US and Britain and France the Old imperial masters who have deliberately smashed up Libya, Iraq, Syria and Lebanon (all old Soviet allies) Afghanistan and Iran because Israel wants them to. Who are the real aggressors ? Not the Russians. My great great grandfather lost an eye fighting Russians in 1854 over Crimea. Remember the Light Brigade? We were arrogant enough then to think Russians were pushovers. Their artillery put us right, just like now. They are producing 4 to 7 times more artillery ammunition  to fight a proxy war on them by the collective West than the entire collective Western industry can And are building more drones in a week than the US has in its entire inventory. So grow up eumenades.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I have to be honest.

I am Italian and I have to say that the Russians are always very respectful of me, like the Americans and the Chinese.

On the other hand, I cannot say the same about the English and the Germans. There is an Brit guy in my building who always looks at me with hatred, as if I had banged his girlfriend.

Take it easy guys, nobody is your enemy.

On 3/30/2024 at 7:08 PM, Sandboxer said:

I'd rather be around 100 Russians than 100 Brits/Aussies/the usual annoying pissheads in the 25-45 age (ad let's face it, male) demographic.

Sure, they're "cold" (many reasons for this as another poster has correctly pointed out) but as a whole (and considering how many there here), they keep to themselves and keep a low profile. 

I'd bet that relatively, the ratio of Russians vs the usual pissheads being involved with altercations/bad behavior/police is significantly less.

I'd rather be around 100 Russians than be around you,you nob.

Well said, well put. 

Two of Solzhenitsyn books should be in the curriculum 'One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich & Gulag Archipelago" showing mans inhumanity to man  

Well said, well put. 

Two of Solzhenitsyn books should be in the curriculum 'One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich & Gulag Archipelago" showing mans inhumanity to man  

17 hours ago, thesetat said:

So you made a popular post so it seems. If there was a word that uses popular the same as infamous opposing popular then it needs to be done here. 

To think of what you say is ludicrous. What does their history have to do with how they act as an international traveller here in Thailand. 

They are the ones supposed to have patience and not treat others like sh--. They are the ones who need to have tolerance. they are guests in another peoples homeland. So they need to be the ones to act appropriately. 

History has a lot to do with how they behave, our culture and our upbringing has a dramatic influence on our personality. They were brought up with horrendous oppression, the vestiges of Leninism, Stalinism, Putinism, and communism. They were brought up to distrust their neighbors, they were brought up to rat out their neighbors, it's just a horrific system and it has a tremendous amount of bearing on how they behave as people. It provides a lot of the answers to their extraordinary lack of civility, their rudeness, and their lack of politeness, and social skills. They just don't care one iota. 

Edited by spidermike007