Honda HRV HEV RS - how's the panoramic roof?

Hello all,

As part of our plans to replace our ancient car, we went to the Motor show over the weekend and determined that one of our favourite contenders for new car is the Honda HRV HEV.  I'm doing a test drive tomorrow and have asked to look at both the top of the line RS and mid spec EL models, but not sure if they will have both available.

We are thinking about getting the RS but one of our concerns is that this model comes with a panoramic roof as standard and whilst there is a mesh/fabric cover that can be pulled over to block out some of the sunlight, we are wondering if this is really such a good idea to have in a hot climate like Thailand's. We live in a house with a uncovered drive way, so the car will be in the sun all day.

I'd be really interested to hear from HRV owners who either have the panoramic roof and how it's working out for them, or from HRV owners of other other specs (EL or E) to understand if they felt the panoramic roof was a deal-breaker for them.

Thanks and best best wishes,

N

Hi Niltava

We picked up our HRV- EL in February 23.

Would have bought an RS but I won't buy a sunroof vehicle after having owned one. Can't see the point, the brightness coming in from the roof doesn't help my vision and one more thing to cause problems, rust etc. 

But we are delighted with our HRV-EL.

Lovely to drive with excellent vision and good handling.

Heaps of power even in Econ mode and Sport mode really sets you back in your seat.

I thought the electric mode was a bit of a gimmick but my son had an ICE HRV in NZ and I really liked the driving position, handling etc and as the HRV in Thailand only came in Hybrid, I just went along with it and ordered it.

The economy is outstanding, petrol wise and I live in Patong so it is all stop start traffic etc.

Fun sitting at a standstill in traffic enjoying the aircon and not having the petrol engine running.

Done about 10,500km absolutely trouble free of course (it is a Honda)

I have enjoyed this EL so much I bought and picked up a ZRV in NZ in January and that is even better but not yet available in Thailand I understand. 

• Thanks 2

I purchased a Rs with a sunroof and hated it, most uncomfortable seats I have ever had and I am a driver by trade. Within 5 months I sold it and never been so happy to lose 3,000 dollars.

The car runs, drives, accelerates, and handles perfectly. But, for me.

The sunroof takes up way to much head room and the seats are so small and tight I never got a comfortable seat position even after  having them modified twice by cutting down the sides and widening them. I was shifting my seating position 5 times before I even got out of the drive way. I had a 2002 Honda city before that and now have a 2017 Honda jazz with no seat complaints. Just be forewarned that some people have major problems with seat comfort in the hrv. Good Luck in whatever you decide

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poobear said:

The sunroof takes up way to much head

Hi Poobear,

Thanks for your reply.

I will definately be mindfil of the seats when I test drive tomorrow.

Regarding the panoramic roof, did you find it a particular problem in terms of a) distracting light whilst driving, or b) making the car super hot, c) both. Our concern is that the rather flimsy mesh fabric "curtain" for the panoramic roof won't be sufficient to stop either of these issues.

Thanks,

N

3 hours ago, Niltava said:

we are wondering if this is really such a good idea to have in a hot climate like Thailand's.

IMO - its not a good idea.

As much as 'moon-roofs' seem like a great idea in cooler climate's to let light into the car etc...

....  the reality in Thailand is that they just let in too much heat.

The cover of our moon-roof remains closes 100% of the time...   That said - AC in modern cars in Thailand is very efficient and fast.

IMO - the AC cools the car quickly within minutes so that aspect is hardly noticeable....    

I suspect the best way to know is to run a poll for those who have cars with a moon-roof or sun-roof.

1) Never use it

2) Sometimes use

3) Mostly use it

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Niltava said:

Our concern is that the rather flimsy mesh fabric "curtain" for the panoramic roof won't be sufficient to stop either of these issues.

IF you can't get the model you want without a Moon-roof and you can add a strong film.

Many cars also have aftermarket covers which are thicker. 

So... IMO....  I wouldn't worry about it too much as you can take measures to minimise any impact the moon-roof has anyway.

If I recall

at the time, the difference between an RS which had to have a sunroof

and the EL without sunroof was about a B100,000 and I felt paying extra for something which we have already found a problem and actually never used, in previous cars NZ was not a good idea.

By the way, we reluctantly agreed to some coating which had to be a applied 4 times, 6 months apart. It has actually been very effective and definitely keeps the car sparkling and rarely does dirt accumulate. Our car is pearl white colour.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the various replies.

Just some feedback from me. This morning I test drove the RS to see if the panoramic roof was a problem or not.  Personally I found that even with the fabric/mesh curtain pulled over to block out some of the sunlight I still felt that there was a distracting amount of glare which I felt that (particularly on a long journey on the open road) would add to any fatigue that I got from being at the wheel for multiple hours, and as such it's a deal-breaker.

This means that if we do decide to get the HRV we will buy the EL model (with full metal roof).

I find it hard to understand why Honda (and other brands) have decided that panoramic roofs are a good idea in Thailand.

Best wishes,

N

• Agree 1