Thai 4 year Degree and Zero English?

rexpotter

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

Essilor have facility in Chonburi so should be able to get the lenses at a reasonable price?

Essilor Optical Laboratory (Thailand) Co.,Ltd. 700/274 Moo 1 Amatanakorn Industrial Estate, Bankao, Panthong, Chonburi 20160. Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 5.00 ...

Thank you very much

1 minute ago, rexpotter said:

do they eyeglasses retail?

I don't know, I have some essilor specs and they lasted well for many years and was interested a few days back to see a price list for them in a TopChareon shop, then I searched and found the above address in Chonburi, thats all I can tell you, sorry.

2 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I don't know, I have some essilor specs and they lasted well for many years and was interested a few days back to see a price list for them in a TopChareon shop, then I searched and found the above address in Chonburi, thats all I can tell you, sorry.

thanks, I tried to call but no answer. I live in Laem Chabang so may run up there.

17 hours ago, proton said:

Mine cast 50 baht off the market😁

For reading glasses it is quite easy to determine the power you need. Even those to help with distance, if you know the prescription I think an order to Lazada will set you up cheaply.... more complicated prescriptions, bi-focals etc, are when you need the opticians.  Can be a bit of a rip  off here, they get into the fancy/designer frames arena, with good margins I expect. 

18 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Another try at eyeglasses....The gal said she was an Optometrist who spent 5 years at a University in Bangkok. To my surprise she spoke ZERO English, which is shocking to me. If Thai was the international business language, I would speak it fluently. She had all the modern equipment so I felt confident that after 30 minutes of testing, she would be able to at least prepare a decent pair of glasses for the office only. Nope. I arrived today to try on my new eyeglasses that were so substandard I was shocked. Essilor which are my current lenses were purchased in Indonesia for less than half the price. I agreed on some locally made lenses and I was assured they were as good as Essilor. that were not much cheaper and they were so poor they were impossible to accept. 1000baht down the drain. May fly to Singapore to get some.

How many years you're already in Thailand? According how despicable you're talking I suppose it's ZERO, isn't it?😵‍💫

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

How many years you're already in Thailand? According how despicable you're talking I suppose it's ZERO, isn't it?😵‍💫

Ummm lets see, 2024 minus 1999 maybe you can do the math.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I got new long-distance (ie non-reading) specs a year ago at Bangkok Vision Center, Wattana (near Benjakiti Park). Couldn't be better.

Up steep stairs, small, friendly, spoke English, tested my eyes, discussion, laughed at my jokes, chose my frames (Essilor) from limited samples, glasses ready later that day, careful fitting, 7000฿.

One year later couldn't be happier with them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

Total price was 3800 baht with frames. 1000 baht deposit. I'm very happy to say that  my 1000 baht was refunded. They agreed that the lenses were not up to par. Nice folks.

That seems way below a price for a decent pair of glasses.

I had a test at RAM hospital, they quoted 1000B and I think I paid around 700B for the test. The optometrist spoke perfect English. I have been using the same repeat prescription for years and was really happy with the test, she gave lots of feedback and there was a dispensing optician present who tried to sell me some overpriced lenses.

If the optometrist didn’t speak English, why not walk away? you could pay and go get a second opinion at another hospital - eye health is important and there are plenty of professionals who can speak English.

• Agree 1