Street Food cooking lessons in Bangkok -anyone know anyone or anything?

petercouz

8 hours ago, Martin71 said:

Genuine book saw it in a bookshop in Swampy... damn near messed my britches...20240403_221435.jpg.c1b920d725f35b6b317fe916eff8d05d.jpg

Had you actually messed your britches you would have saved money on the essential ingredient. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, proton said:

Authentic street food has to be cooked in months old palm oil with heaps of sugar, salt and MSG. There should be roaches running about and the odd rat. Used plates need to be stacked up for hours in stinking water, directly in the sun is best. 😄

I agree with all of the above but I believe you have omitted a few essential ingredients; Ants crawling over the uncovered food with mosquitos and other flying insects swirling around the car and bike fumed toxic air!  Also their must be no access to covered waste bins, running fresh water, refrigeration or even cold boxes.

Forks must have one prong that stabs you in the lips, spoons must be bent to the point of uselessness and plates and cups must be cracked and chipped.

Falling cigarette ash, semi-naked urchins running around and blaring music are optional extras!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2024 at 4:56 PM, Korat Kiwi said:

When I was living in Chiang Mai (Mae Rim to be precise) there was a local guy who use to work in 5 star restaurants.  However his heart wasn't into that scene. 

Lucky for the residents of Mae Rim in that he set up a street stall right next to a 7-11.  Every evening from about 6 to midnight unless he ran out of food. 

Very good fast and healthy food.  He was a wonder to watch in action.  Many a night I'd sit there waiting for my order with a cold beer from 7-11.  Even during torrential downpours he'd be busy at it. 

Him and his wife were lovely people, always smiling. Would love to go back and see if they're still operating. 

Now that sounds nice!

On 4/4/2024 at 1:19 AM, Martin71 said:

Genuine book saw it in a bookshop in Swampy... damn near messed my britches...20240403_221435.jpg.c1b920d725f35b6b317fe916eff8d05d.jpg

Actually i am in the book business, i sell books from the UK , Australia and US to Asia Books and Kinokuniya - this particular book has been very popular - it is a name that certainly turns your head and makes you chuckle, but I believe it is supposed be genuinely good! Your imahe shows this to be the third edition - thats good going.

On 4/4/2024 at 12:54 AM, proton said:

Authentic street food has to be cooked in months old palm oil with heaps of sugar, salt and MSG. There should be roaches running about and the odd rat. Used plates need to be stacked up for hours in stinking water, directly in the sun is best. 😄

Well if that is your experience that's a shame - i have eaten some really great street food over a couple of decades and never ever had a stomach upset -you get to know where the good places are - and i dont think any self respecting Thai citizen would be visiting any street stall if the food resembled what you describe.

17 minutes ago, petercouz said:

Well if that is your experience that's a shame - i have eaten some really great street food over a couple of decades and never ever had a stomach upset -you get to know where the good places are - and i dont think any self respecting Thai citizen would be visiting any street stall if the food resembled what you describe.

Most of it is muck, liked as cheap, and cheap for a reason. Any branch of Took la Dee is better and 100x cleaner, and full of self respecting Thais.

Many moons ago (mid 80s),  we use to eat at a place referred to as The Patio in Sembawang, Singapore. 

The food was much the same as street food, and really tasty.  You had a choice of Chinese, Indian and Malaysia.  Some of the curries were quite the double burner variety. 

Never heard of anyone getting sick due to that food in the 2 1/2years I was there. 

My wife at the time did get food poisoning from Mcdonalds at ( I think it was) Thomson Plaza. 

Like as has been said,  watch the locals.  They won't eat bad food from the same vendor twice.