Bkk Intl. Film Festival

popshirt

Just a question.......are there any gay themed films being shown at the festival......I have struggled through the website and spent far too much time reading some very bad synopses and finally gave up. I'm hopeful that some knowledgeable person here will respond. I think the simple answer is no. There is one lesbian film however.

Hi popshirt,

I am not too sure if there is specifically a "gay theme" film during this festival or not. The closest one I know is probably "Shortbus". (I think I read somewhere that it is or will be shown during the festival, but with so many films I was lost in there.)

Anyway, I didn't pay attention that much since I've seen it already. If it will ever be shown in Thailand, I'm afraid it will be censored (with the "explicit" scenes and all).

I am not sure if you will be interested, but there is a movie playing at House. It may not be your cup of tea, though. It is a Thai film, with English subtitle, called "Club CM2". It is a comedy with a good message, albeit preachy, although I don't think it quite reaches the standard level yet. I mean compare to standard movies we see in theaters, including Thai films, the acting and editing are not quite there yet. Having said that, I think it has a very good intention, apart from entertainment value. It is clear people who put together this film have a good heart. It is a few first good steps for Thai films with specific gay theme anyway. I'm talking about the "gay theme" movies that do not necessarily laugh at gays/katoeys/etc at their expense, not to mention the ones that downright insulting like so many "in-trend and mass-appealing" films we see clogging theaters at the moment.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the films (if you decide to go).

House at RCA is an indy/art house movie theater. It is located in the same building complex as Tops and UMG movie theater in RCA area off Phetchaburi Road. If you want to check it out, try google the word "Houserama" or something like that.

Cheers