Foreign diver faces fine for touching whale shark in Thailand (video)

image.jpeg

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) fined a foreign tourist for touching a whale shark while diving at Mu Koh Surin National Park in the southern province of Phang Nga.

Drama erupted among local travel agencies in the southern provinces of Thailand after a video and pictures of a diver touching the tip of a whale shark’s tail were shared on multiple social media platforms.

In the video, a group of divers can be seen trailing the whale shark from behind, with one diver extending his hand toward the animal’s tail. Another member of the group is seen pointing a finger at the first diver to warn him to stop his action.

The incident reportedly occurred on March 31 at Richelieu Rock, a popular diving spot within Mu Koh Surin National Park.

Thai netizens and local divers urged the travel agency responsible for the diver in the video to step forward and clarify the incident.

Many criticised staff members and diving trainers for their negligence in allowing the diver to touch the animal, expressing concerns that such actions could harm both the animal and the divers involved.

A Thai woman, Suparat Thoncharoenphong subsequently stepped forward to clarify that the diver who touched the whale shark was a foreign customer. She stressed that the diving trainer from her company had instructed all divers not to touch marine life before the diving trip, yet this diver ignored the caution.

Suparat stated that she promptly reported the incident to the DNP, resulting in authorities imposing a fine on the diver.

“I believe that no travel agencies encourage their customers to touch any marine life but it still occurred. I have never condoned wrongdoing by my customers. My travel agency has never concealed any illegal actions from the authorities either. As a diving enthusiast myself, I cannot condone such actions. Let’s work together to prevent such acts in the future.”

Whale sharks are protected wild animals under Thailand’s Wildlife Preservation and Protection Act, as their populations have significantly declined due to hunting for their fins.

According to Section 16 of the act, hunting or any action that harms protected animals can result in imprisonment of up to four years, a fine of up to 40,000 baht, or both. The specific fine imposed on the diver has not been disclosed to the public.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ อรรถพล เจริญชันษา

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-04

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

Suparat stated that she promptly reported the incident to the DNP, resulting in authorities imposing a fine on the diver.

“I believe that no travel agencies encourage their customers to touch any marine life but it still occurred. I have never condoned wrongdoing by my customers. My travel agency has never concealed any illegal actions from the authorities either. As a diving enthusiast myself, I cannot condone such actions. Let’s work together to prevent such acts in the future.”

Well said.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Is there a law for touching sharks in Thailand?? Or is it made up as so many already? I remember foreigners playing darts in pattaya for example. Laws that don't exists are being invented locally

There are laws for a lot of things.

In 2019, the NLA enacted the Wildlife Conservation and Protection Act B.E.2562 (2019), 27 years since
Thailand adopted the 1992 Wildlife Act (WARPA B.E.2535). The law officially came into force in November 2019.

Thailand  WILD ANIMAL CONSERVATION AND PROTECTION ACT, B.E. 2562 (2019)

• Thanks 1

Whale sharks are protected wild animals under Thailand’s Wildlife Preservation and Protection Act, as their populations have significantly declined due to hunting for their fins.

*** Touched a wildlife animal, Jail ....Unacceptable behavior in the sea water.....

Thai people are protected by many laws, as the population is decreasing due mainly to road casualties.

***Oh well, acceptable collateral damage to the culture of the land...

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A Thai woman, Suparat Thoncharoenphong subsequently stepped forward to clarify that the diver who touched the whale shark was a foreign customer. She stressed that the diving trainer from her company had instructed all divers not to touch marine life before the diving trip, yet this diver ignored the caution.

Idiot diver... fined aand finished with.

Maybe note his details so that he doesn't dive again in Thailand.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

When whale sharks is observed, there will be many boats and divers around the location looking for them, horrible and stressing for the whale sharks. 

They can swim away if they're bothered by humans.   

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

They can swim away if they're bothered by humans.   

They follow the food, we are rhe ones who interupt their natural seasonal wandering for food.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And, if they're bothered, as they're big boys, they can swim away but I doubt that they give a flying fish about a few humans swimming near them which can hardly be described as interrupting their natural seasonal wandering for food. There's no shortage of plankton or places to find it.

Huh, so much respect for wildlife 👏

No wonder this planet goes to hell with everything on it

• Confused 3

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Huh, so much respect for wildlife 👏

No wonder this planet goes to hell with everything on it

Thank you for your emotion 👏

How much I care 

20240404_152051.thumb.jpg.ff9e727be53075946b570dc9d2c7e814.jpg

• Love It 2

35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And, if they're bothered, as they're big boys, they can swim away but I doubt that they give a flying fish about a few humans swimming near them which can hardly be described as interrupting their natural seasonal wandering for food. There's no shortage of plankton or places to find it.

100% agree...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Some obviously do not understand the mentality of the diving companies, one successful sight of whale shark for their customers, is future customers booking, and they chasing whale sharks wherever they go and disturbs their natural habitats. 

Some people have hard to understand simple tings, but I expect nothing more, it is just how it is, human nature being ignorant

3 hours ago, nahkit said:

Breaking news............

In an interview with the media the whale shark has now confirmed that they are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder following the incident.

It will have to get in line behind the barnacle I nudged on the beach last December.