Foreign diver faces fine for touching whale shark in Thailand (video)

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Some obviously do not understand the mentality of the diving companies, one successful sight of whale shark for their customers, is future customers booking, and they chasing whale sharks wherever they go and disturbs their natural habitats. 

Some people have hard to understand simple tings, but I expect nothing more, it is just how it is, human nature being ignorant

Whale sharks migrate up to 7000 kms in the migratory range....    think that exceeds the range of the dive boats.

IF the environments within which these dive boats observe the whale sharks were so disturbing for the whale sharks they can swim away !!!

These simple tings you mention, are not that hard to understand at all.... quite simple really.... 

It could easily be argued that the whale sharks are in the area because the diving an other activities don't bother them at all.

This is just a combination of those wanting to express anti-foreign sentiment and tree hugging wokeness...

...  they're either grumpy old men or vegans - either way I bet their bed-sit reeks the same... 

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 15.50.45.png

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whale sharks migrate up to 7000 kms in the migratory range....    think that exceeds the range of the dive boats.

IF the environments within which these dive boats observe the whale sharks were so disturbing for the whale sharks they can swim away !!!

These simple tings you mention, are not that hard to understand at all.... quite simple really.... 

It could easily be argued that the whale sharks are in the area because the diving an other activities don't bother them at all.

This is just a combination of those wanting to express anti-foreign sentiment and tree hugging wokeness...

...  they're either grumpy old men or vegans - either way I bet their bed-sit reeks the same... 

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 15.50.45.png

There is not only one thing disturbing whale sharks, but it doesnt help when one million divers every year chasing whale shark!

4 DE SEPTEMBER DE 2023|IN DIVERS IN ACTION|BY ROSE MARTIN

Swimming with the ocean’s largest fish is an experience that changes the lives of any diver lucky enough to have the encounter. Thailand’s whale sharks bring in an untold number of visitors each year, but data shows their populations are declining

https://conservationdiver.com/2023/09/04/thailands-whale-sharks/

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And, if they're bothered, as they're big boys, they can swim away but I doubt that they give a flying fish about a few humans swimming near them which can hardly be described as interrupting their natural seasonal wandering for food. There's no shortage of plankton or places to find it.

This is so sad.  They can't just turn around and go to a 7-11 for their food.  They are in their natural arena.  The humans aren't.  You are not a diver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After the earlier cases of foreign teachers inappropriately touching schoolgirls, I see this as a step in the right direction at least.

The question is however, where will it end? Are we gonna start seeing cases of foreigners fondling bull sharks next, my word:shock1:

2 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

swim away but I doubt that they give a flying fish about a few humans swimming near them which can hardly be described as interrupting their natural seasonal wandering for food. There's no shortage of plankton or places to find it.

This is so sad.  They can't just turn around and go to a 7-11 for their food.

You're right, and so sad also, they can't go to a 7-11 but they can just open their 4-foot wide mouths and gulp down gallons of plankton-containing water which is all they need.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

And, if they're bothered, as they're big boys, they can swim away but I doubt that they give a flying fish about a few humans swimming near them which can hardly be described as interrupting their natural seasonal wandering for food. There's no shortage of plankton or places to find it.

This is so sad.  They can't just turn around and go to a 7-11 for their food.  They are in their natural arena.  The humans aren't.  You are not a diver.

How do you know that I'm not a diver but what is the relevance of that, anyway?   

Are you seriously suggesting that humans shouldn't venture into the sea (or any water because that's not our "arena" also)?   That means banning swimming, paddling and all water sports.

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're right, and so sad also, they can't go to a 7-11 but they can just open their 4-foot wide mouths and gulp down gallons of plankton-containing water which is all they need.

The whale sharks follow seasonal flow of food, water streams, temperature 

Well, nuff said, not going to win a war at AN against people who think they know

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The whale sharks follow seasonal flow of food, water streams, temperature 

...and aren't in the least concerned (they have a tendency to be curious) about a few tiny humans who are not disrupting their food supply.  'Nuff said, indeed.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is just a combination of those wanting to express anti-foreign sentiment

Here we go again. The poor farang victim.

Thailand has rules, if you dont like the rules, leave.

5 minutes ago, Goat said:

Here we go again. The poor farang victim.

Thailand has rules, if you dont like the rules, leave.

The “if you don’t like it go home argument”….

….. at least you’ve stated commenting at a higher intellectual level !!! 😂

The issue here is two fold…

… the context of a protected species being used to virtue signal by a corrupt organization & selective enforcement because non-Thai was involved.

I know loads of Thai divers who have videos of their interactions with whale sharks & not one jot of netizen outrage. 

But, you’d probably tell us it’s ok ‘cos the Whale sharks are Thai !!!  

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

The “if you don’t like it go home argument”….

….. at least you’ve stated commenting at a higher intellectual level !!! 😂

I know loads of Thai divers who have videos of their interactions with whale sharks & not one jot of netizen outrage. 

Yeah, loads, sure you do.

But it sounds like yet again you feel like you are being "victimized' by the Thai people, and "it isnt fair" and that the Thais do not like you.

So why don't you leave? It is a fair question. 

Do you go to parties uninvited and stay when everyone doesn't want you there?

18 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Is there a law for touching sharks in Thailand?? Or is it made up as so many already? I remember foreigners playing darts in pattaya for example. Laws that don't exists are being invented locally

If you look at the video. He barely touched the tip of the tail. I do not see how that would apply to their laws about hurting the animals. The actions caused no damage and no injuries to the whale. I think they just use that law to make some money. 

55 minutes ago, thesetat said:

If you look at the video. He barely touched the tip of the tail. I do not see how that would apply to their laws about hurting the animals. The actions caused no damage and no injuries to the whale. I think they just use that law to make some money. 

Thailanmd bend all the laws as they please and for foreigners it is only bases on making money indeed

On 4/4/2024 at 2:50 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Only if playing for money, i,e, gambling, otherwise it is fine.

Of course. I was being facetious. I was referring to the arrest and detention of a group of farang Bridge players a few years back. Some of them quite elderly. The police used the excuse that they were using more than one pack of cards? Not being a Bridge player I wouldn't know. Barry Kenyon would. He had a front seat as I remember.:wink:

8 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Of course. I was being facetious. I was referring to the arrest and detention of a group of farang Bridge players a few years back. Some of them quite elderly. The police used the excuse that they were using more than one pack of cards? Not being a Bridge player I wouldn't know. Barry Kenyon would. He had a front seat as I remember.:wink:

Meat on the bones:-

The Playing Cards Act is a law in Thailand that prohibits individuals from owning more than 120 playing cards that have not been registered by the Excise Department. The current law was passed in 1943, superseding previous acts. The Playing Cards Acts are part of Thailand's strict anti-gambling laws dating back to 1935. To ensure legal possession of playing cards, under Section 12 of the law, a competent official has the power to enter anywhere between sunrise and sunset to conduct a search

• Haha 1