Conversion of U.K. Motorcycle Licence to Thai Motorcycle Licence - Pranburi

I went to the Pranburi Transport Office last Monday at 1:00 p.m. with the following documents:

1. Original passport
2. Original U.K. Driving license
3. Certificate of Residence from Immigration
4. Medical Certificate
5. Copy of passport photo page 
6. Copy of current extension of stay
7. Copy of last entry stamp 
8. Motorcycle licence application form

There is no need to bring passport photos as they take your photo at the end of the visit. 

Go up to the 2nd floor and as you enter the door there is a member of staff at the desk to help you and give you the correct queue number. Queue numbers are displayed on a screen showing which desk to go to when you are called. 

Documents all checked in 5 minutes and I was given a queue for the following morning at 8:30 a.m. 

I arrived at 8:15 a.m. (office opens at 8:00 a.m.) and was No 7 in the queue. By 08:30 a.m. my group did the driving skill ability tests:

A. Traffic lights - press “start” button on hand control pad and then press “red”, “amber”, “green” as the traffic light changed. There were 9 of these changes. 
B. Brake test - press the accelerator pedal and the light goes “green”, once it goes “red”, press the brake pedal before the light on the machine reaches the red zone. I did this two times but most people seemed to have to  do it three times. 
C. Depth perception test - using a hand control pad move a small vertical bar towards another small vertical bar and stop when they are aligned. Only had to do this once. 
D. Peripheral vision - call out “left” or “right” when a light appears. 

All in all the tests were pretty straightforward and everyone appeared to pass. 

As my licence was treated as a “new” licence I had to go and watch a video for 30 mins or so on road crashes and road safety. This was a little surprising as I had already watched an hour long training video on-line and printed off the QR Code showing my training was completed. I had done this previously when renewing my 5 year Thai car driving licence. At least the video I watched st the office was a different video. 

I was advised in future I can renew my motorcycle licence and get my queue appointment on-line and watch the training video at home on-line and print off or show my QR code on my phone on the day of my renewal at the Transport Office. 

I left the Transport Office soon after 10:00 a.m. with my new 2 year temporary Thai motorcycle licence. 

All in all a very easy and pleasant experience. Well done to the Pranburi Transport Office who were very friendly and helpful.
Edited by skorts

3 minutes ago, skorts said:

I went to the Pranburi Transport Office last Monday at 1:00 p.m. with the following documents:

1. Original passport
2. Original U.K. Driving license
3. Certificate of Residence from Immigration
4. Medical Certificate
4. Copy of passport photo page 
5. Copy of current extension of stay
6. Copy of last entry stamp 
7. Motorcycle licence application form

There is no need to bring passport photos as they take your photo at the end of the visit. 

Go up to the 2nd floor and as you enter the door there is a member of staff at the desk to help you and give you the correct queue number. Queue numbers are displayed on a screen showing which desk to go to when you are called. 

Documents all checked in 5 minutes and I was given a queue for the following morning at 8:30 a.m. 

I arrived at 8:15 a.m. (office opens at 8:00 a.m.) and was No 7 in the queue. By 08:30 a.m. my group did the driving skill ability tests:

A. Traffic lights - press “start” button on hand control pad and then press “red”, “amber”, “green” as the traffic light changed. There were 9 of these changes. 
B. Brake test - press the accelerator pedal and the light goes “green”, once it goes “red”, press the brake pedal before the light on the machine reaches the red zone. I did this two times but most people seemed to have to  do it three times. 
C. Depth perception test - using a hand control pad move a small vertical bar towards another small vertical bar and stop when they are aligned. Only had to do this once. 
D. Peripheral vision - call out “left” or “right” when a light appears. 

All in all the tests were pretty straightforward and everyone appeared to pass. 

As my licence was treated as a “new” licence I had to go and watch a video for 30 mins or so on road crashes and safety. 

I was advised in future I can renew my licence and get my queue appointment on-line and watch a different training video at home and print off or show my QR code on my phone on the day of my renewal at the Transport Office. 

I left the Transport Office soon after 10:00 a.m. with my new 2 year temporary Thai motorcycle licence. 

All in all a very easy and pleasant experience. Well done to the Pranburi Transport Office who were very friendly and helpful.

"Pleasant experience", wait till you have to do it again in 5 years time.........🤔

1 minute ago, transam said:

"Pleasant experience", wait till you have to do it again in 5 years time.........🤔

Well it certainly wasn’t unpleasant!
I have already renewed my Thai 5 year car driving licence twice at this office and it was “pleasant” on both occasions. And actually I will be back in 2 years time to renew my temporary motorcycle licence and not 5 years. 
I was trying to be helpful by sharing my personal experience at my local Transport Office. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, transam said:

What constitutes "unpleasant" anyway?  I would say it's typically a passive-aggressive way to express angst/dissatisfaction regards typical bureaucracy anywhere, not exclusive to Thailand 😃 Me, I just shrug it off :smile:

42 minutes ago, skorts said:

Well it certainly wasn’t unpleasant!

I had what I would describe as a pleasant experience at immigration yesterday, "did I enjoy spending several hours of my day there" no I did not.  But is was necessary.  I made the most of it though, grabbed a coffee, snack, soon it was all over - definitely not unpleasant.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Haha 1