Turning 50 next year, what to do about visa

What visa do you have now ?

No matter what visa, marriage or retirement (2 common for long stay), you need to extend every year, along with doing 90 day pulse checks, which are easily done online.

May want to actually read the 'Thai' Imm site to know what is expected when applying & extending, as there is a financial requirement, which you want to start as soon as possible, unless using the lump sum deposit in bank (800k). 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

Visa cost is 1900 baht if you do it yourself, and you need to have 800k to show in the bank for most of the year.

Or 15-30k if you use an agent, they usually take care of the money in the bank.

You can stay as long as you want, You extend your stay yearly with the same costs and requirements.

Visa can be done in thailand with no need to return to EU

Edited by Peterw42
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Visa cost is 1900 baht if you do it yourself, and you need to have 800k to show in the bank for most of the year.

Or 15-30k if you use an agent, they usually take care of the money in the bank.

You can stay as long as you want, You extend your stay yearly with the same costs and requirements.

Visa can be done in thailand with no need to return to EU

you mean if i get a lawyer you don't have to have 800k in the bank? But it costs 30k each year for lawyer?

• Confused 2

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

What visa do you have now ?

No matter what visa, marriage or retirement (2 common for long stay), you need to extend every year, along with doing 90 day pulse checks, which are easily done online.

May want to actually read the 'Thai' Imm site to know what is expected when applying & extending, as there is a financial requirement, which you want to start as soon as possible, unless using the lump sum deposit in bank (800k). 

i have tourist visa just regular one...what is pulse check? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, parafareno said:

you mean if i get a lawyer you don't have to have 800k in the bank? But it costs 30k each year for lawyer?

An agent not a lawyer.Agent costs vary.Generally around 15k each year.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i have tourist visa just regular one...what is pulse check? 

anyone staying long-term in Thailand needs to check-in with immigration every 90 days (can be done online)

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

........ there is a financial requirement, which you want to start as soon as possible, unless using the lump sum deposit in bank (800k) ......

Either THB฿800,000.00 on deposit or prove an income of THB฿65,000 per month.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, parafareno said:

If you use someone to bribe an immigration officer then you don't need the money in the bank.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, when do you turn 50.

How many days left on your tourist visa stamp

Have you applied for 30 day extension yet? 

What country is your pp? 

Which immigration will you be dealing with?

Do you have 800k ?

Do you have a Thai bank account in your name only? 

next year february

i am in europe now not in Thailand but I plan to return in September

--

EU

Pattaya, Koh Samui

I have but I don't want to put it in there

yes I have thai bank account

5 hours ago, WilliamSmits said:

100 % of people that do not meet the financial requirements use an "agent" 

Few people that do meet the requirements use an agent just not to have the stress & hassles.

The agent fee is lower if you meet the requirements.

I did it myself, it's not hard

i mean 15000 bht per yer is nothing...i can afford that instead of having 800k in the bank

I use an agent every year. Pricey, but I get to sleep at night. You might do it with an agent first time (piles of paperwork) but it is guaranteed and you get to learn a lot. Try GAM.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, eumenades said:

I use an agent every year. Pricey, but I get to sleep at night. You might do it with an agent first time (piles of paperwork) but it is guaranteed and you get to learn a lot. Try GAM.

how much does it cost you?

One of the best things about being over 50 (if there are any benefits) is the retirement visa.  Get it soon and get it in Thailand.  So much better and easier than doing it in your home country.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

next year february

i am in europe now not in Thailand but I plan to return in September

Your route to a non-O visa followed by extension ought to be pretty clear to you now.  But until you get to 50 you can only wait.  So right now you should be planning how to enter and stay for 5 months or so from September onwards.....tourist visa+extension+border hops seem in order.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, parafareno said:

It's not a Lawyer, it's an illegal Agent who shares your money with IOs, banks and himself.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, jimn said:

I simply use agent who for 12,500 baht get you a totally legal extension within 3 days.

That's a laugh.........totally legal?

Hope the question mark relieves your confusion.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, parafareno said:

so i can apply for retirement visa right?  How much does it cost? And I can stay as long as I want? Or I have to go back to EU?

You need a non-immigrant O-visa, which you can extend the permitted stay of for one year every year. A non-O might be available inside Thailand, you'll need 800,000 baht transferred from abroad in a Thai bank deposit. For annual extensions of stay you'll either need a deposit of 800,000 baht or a monthly income transferred into Thailand of not less than 65,000 baht each month; the 800,000 baht bank deposit solution is the easiest one.

A non-immigrant O-visa applied for inside Thailand is around 2,000 baht. If applied outside, check the embassy webpage for fee in the country from where you apply for the visa. Annual extension of stay is 1,900 baht plus costs for photo and fee to a bank for approval of funds. If you leave Thailand you'll need a re-entry permit, which costs 1,000 baht per time or an one-year multiple re-entry permit for 3,500 baht.

The wealthy pensioner LTR good for ten years, no taxes on foreign earned income, no 90-day reports - google the Board of Investment (BOI) LTR for requirements and benefits - cost currently is 50K baht - last year was 100K baht.  Other LTR seem to be more expensive.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1