Uncertainty With a Certificate of Residency.

NONG CHOK

Hi there, as I'm about to renew my Thai drivers license in the near future I need a certificate of residence. Even though I'm currently holding a Thai license which I first made 22 years ago. This is the first time they've requested a CR. That said, I've used the same agent for my annual one year visa, my condo is in my Thai wifes name so how can the visa agent make a CR for me. I have no yellow or pink book, so do they bypass this as part of the 900 baht fee.?

So is your agent saying you must have a CR?

I was told to get an international driving permit, I'd have to go through the immigration office and show a lease agreemet which i don't have.     I'm on a month to month basis and have been for years.

Most if not all of the provincial DTP's that issue Thai Driver's Permits, require a Certificate of Residence from non-Thais as proof of their official address in the province where the DTP is located.  Such CoR can be obtained - usually at no cost - at the local Imm Office that issued your Non Imm O Visa/extension.  

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, loong said:

Usually at no cost?

I would think that they are rarely issued for free.

I got one this year and 2 years ago at Khon Kaen and both times they cost 500 Baht each! No receipt - of course!

Yes, obtaining a Certificate of Residence at your local Imm Office should be free of cost.  Of course there are Imm Offices that - contrary to the official policy - do charge for such a CoR. 

Anyway, at my SiSaKet Imm Office I got the CoR free of charge, but I needed a Request Form from the local DTP asking the Imm Office to provide it to me in order to apply for the Thai Driver's Permit. Luckily the DTP was only 3 km from the local Imm Office, and they provided that Request Form on the spot and also at no charge.  Note that the CoR stated that it was to be used to apply for a Thai driver's permit at the local DTP, so it could not be used for any other purpose.

• Like 1

Varies by province / immigration office.

December 2023 (I required for driver licences and new vehicle purchase) Chanthaburi Immigration stated they no longer issued them (I had one years ago at no charge) and suggested I go to my embassy to complete a declaration.

Called DLT and fortunately they accepted my yellow house book and that lovely pink ID card for address verification.

A classic 'experiences may vary' situation.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, loong said:

Usually at no cost?

I would think that they are rarely issued for free.

I got one this year and 2 years ago at Khon Kaen and both times they cost 500 Baht each! No receipt - of course!

No receipt - of course!

Yes, that’s been my experience at Jomtien. Thb 300, no receipt.

• Agree 1

Two months ago I renewed my Thai Drivers licence that required a Certificate of Residence.

Acquiring such a thing should be easy assuming you have some kind of extension and regular 90 day reports that show a current address in the same Province as the Immigration Office you use.

There is no official fee and if you are charged, don't expect an official receipt.

If the Agent you used for your extension and subsequent 90 Day reports is in a Province outside of where you actually live, there is a conflict that I think you can imagine.

This happened to me and I managed to get a Certificate of Residence from my Local Immigration Office in spite of my extension and 90 Day reporting being 500 kms away!

And THAT did cost me - but not so much!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

This happened to me and I managed to get a Certificate of Residence from my Local Immigration Office in spite of my extension and 90 Day reporting being 500 kms away!

And THAT did cost me - but not so much!

How much is not so much? I'm in the same situation, immigration told me they couldn't issue me with one but a local agent said they could do it for 1,000 Baht, as long as I had a TM30, which I do.

I was wondering how much it would cost to 'bribe' immigration. 

1 hour ago, Marcous said:

How much is not so much? I'm in the same situation, immigration told me they couldn't issue me with one but a local agent said they could do it for 1,000 Baht, as long as I had a TM30, which I do.

I was wondering how much it would cost to 'bribe' immigration. 

Paid B500. It was worth it because my regular Agent said could get one for B3,500!!!

It was also worth it because I have wanted for a few years to get all my ducks in a row with my local Immigration Office that is extremely easy for me to get to.

They offered to do my 90 Day report there as well which was free and only last week I did my retirement extension there.

It is not a good idea to bribe Immigration Officers. I accepted an offer of help via an another Agent that I accepted.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

No receipt - of course!

Yes, that’s been my experience at Jomtien. Thb 300, no receipt.

Possibly because on the books, there is not supposed to be a charge for them, so I heard. Turned into a nice little earner though. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 4/5/2024 at 10:18 AM, Red Phoenix said:

Most if not all of the provincial DTP's that issue Thai Driver's Permits, require a Certificate of Residence from non-Thais as proof of their official address in the province where the DTP is located.  Such CoR can be obtained - usually at no cost - at the local Imm Office that issued your Non Imm O Visa/extension.  

Usually mine cost 500 baht🤪

On 4/5/2024 at 3:24 PM, ABCDBKK said:

They issue them at immigration for a few hundred Baht. Only takes a few minutes. 

Not at Korat.....three business days.

On 4/5/2024 at 3:32 PM, bkk6060 said:

Not at Chonburi.  Come back in the afternoon or the next day for pickup.

And do they still expect payment for this free document? 

Any charge is a bribe. I once asked for an 'express service' in Trat and got refused point blank, "come back in 3 days."

I was there becoz my disabled mate needed one, I was allowed to go and collect it for him.

For me I use that 'Useless waste of time" pink ID card,

And that is the number on my 'life' pink ID, so even with a new passport, the number stays the same. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 1

I renewed my driving license just two weeks ago. I got a letter from the New Zealand, embassy confirming my address, for ฿1700, which was posted the next day. I know I could have got the resident certificate for ฿500 from CW, but once I factored in the time to go up there, cost of tolls, two week wait to be posted to me, I decided it was worth the convenience.

• Thumbs Up 1