Aircon won't turn off.

The rarely used aircon in the lounge won't turn off. The compressor does but not the cassette or whatever it's called that has the fan inside the room. The technician says it needs a new control board or something that costs around 3000 baht. Does that seem about right? He replaced something that sounds like a capacitor and regassed the compressor and replaced a globe that lights up when the aircon is running for 1400 baht.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The rarely used aircon in the lounge won't turn off. The compressor does but not the cassette or whatever it's called that has the fan inside the room. The technician says it needs a new control board or something that costs around 3000 baht. Does that seem about right? He replaced something that sounds like a capacitor and regassed the compressor and replaced a globe that lights up when the aircon is running for 1400 baht.

Just reply re your price question. Yes 3,000+ is the price for most brands control boards.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Sounds about right, my A/C has one board that does everything, complicated piece of kit.

Fan in one of mine played up, I found a new replacement on Lazada, 900bht, fitted it myself without disturbing the gas pipes, was a bit of a pain to do, but it works OK.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Sounds about right, my A/C has one board that does everything, complicated piece of kit.

Fan in one of mine played up, I found a new replacement on Lazada, 900bht, fitted it myself without disturbing the gas pipes, was a bit of a pain to do, but it works OK.

The fan works fine but the remote won't turn it off, it has to be turned off at the breaker box.

What brand is it?  Have you turned off main breaker for few minutes and then turn on and see if it starts again?  That will work for some board issues (until next power failure).  But if have to replace board 3k is likely a good price - we paid 5,500 few weeks ago after voltage drop to 108v for extended period during the night.

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

He replaced something that sounds like a capacitor and regassed the compressor and replaced a globe that lights up when the aircon is running for 1400 baht.

It seems he did already many things. Did he do those things to solve the problem which you describe? Or independent of that?

Because if he did those things to solve above problem and now he suggests another thing, then that sounds more like: Just do everything part by part new, and then sell him a new AC. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

If you don't use it much, why not just turn it off and on with the breaker? 

I considered that, but I didn't want it half fixed. I can afford it without going hungry, so why not?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

What brand is it?  Have you turned off main breaker for few minutes and then turn on and see if it starts again?  That will work for some board issues (until next power failure).  But if have to replace board 3k is likely a good price - we paid 5,500 few weeks ago after voltage drop to 108v for extended period during the night.

No, tried turning it on and off at the breaker but it didn't fix it. It's a Samsung.

Edited by giddyup

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems he did already many things. Did he do those things to solve the problem which you describe? Or independent of that?

Because if he did those things to solve above problem and now he suggests another thing, then that sounds more like: Just do everything part by part new, and then sell him a new AC. 

The aircon wasn't blowing cold air previously, so thatvwas a separate problem.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I considered that, but I didn't want it half fixed. I can afford it without going hungry, so why not?

How old and how big is it? If you can afford to dump 3K into a ten-year-old unit you'll get a 30-day warranty on, you can afford to spent 20K on a new unit that comes with a five-year warranty. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The aircon wasn't blowing cold air previously, so thatvwas a separate problem.

Actually it could be the same problem - as I said my inside unit would run but outside would not - but turning off breaker for 5 minutes reset outside unit to start cooling again.  But this does not appear to be your issue if now working normally except for turning off.  Hate to suggest but remote is not set for for some operation that would keep it active (they build way too much into units for my old brain).

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

that comes with a five-year warranty. 

In almost all cases almost worthless and only covers compressor failure - today it is the boards that fail and that is in most cases one year only.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

In almost all cases almost worthless and only covers compressor failure - today it is the boards that fail and that is in most cases one year only.

I have 5 x Mitsubishi Mr Slims, 12000 Btu, 12 years old. Only had 2 capacitors replaced, no boards or any other problem. Hmmmm.

I think most Samsung aircons have a manual power switch somewhere on the front panel or under the front cover. I have used it on one of our aircons in the past.

If you have the user's manual, it will show where it is located. If you don't have the manual, google the model number.

This won't be a fix, but perhaps more convenient than using the breaker.

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

With a new Carrier inverter it's five-year all parts, ten years compressor.

In any event, dumping 3K into an old unit that has had problems before, just to keep from having to turn the breaker off rather than using the remote makes little sense to me. 

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

In any event, dumping 3K into an old unit that has had problems before, just to keep from having to turn the breaker off rather than using the remote makes little sense to me. 

It is also worth considering the power savings of a new, more efficient unit, especially if you splash out for an inverter model. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I have 5 x Mitsubishi Mr Slims, 12000 Btu, 12 years old. Only had 2 capacitors replaced, no boards or any other problem. Hmmmm.

Almost never needed for compressor.  But these days often have circuit board failures with inverters and most will not be covered.

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes but they are very much the exception as building brand here.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How old and how big is it? If you can afford to dump 3K into a ten-year-old unit you'll get a 30-day warranty on, you can afford to spent 20K on a new unit that comes with a five-year warranty. 

Like I said, rarely used, so it will be good enough for the times it does. It's 24000 btu.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Some people used to park their (manual) car on a hill rather than buy a new battery.

It may just be a stuck relay on the control board.

A good, solid thump to the relays with the handle of a big screwdriver will often free things up.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I think most Samsung aircons have a manual power switch somewhere on the front panel or under the front cover. I have used it on one of our aircons in the past.

If you have the user's manual, it will show where it is located. If you don't have the manual, google the model number.

Breaker easy to get to. Switch on front panel needs ladder.

Just now, Crossy said:

It may just be a stuck relay on the control board.

A good, solid thump to the relays with the handle of a big screwdriver will often free things up.

Flathead or Philips?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

The manual switch wouldn't turn it off either.

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Breaker easy to get to. Switch on front panel needs ladder.

You know what? I think I'm going to go with the breaker idea. I only need to run it a couple of times a month for 30 minutes, so not a big deal.

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Almost never needed for compressor.  But these days often have circuit board failures with inverters and most will not be covered.

Yes but they are very much the exception as building brand here.

Not really, I think most brands other than Daiken and Mitsu have pretty good warranties. Samsung is 3-year everything, 10 years compressor. 

Dam, I have/had almost exactly the same problem, but my compressor won't turn off. Samsung A18 something, quite old 2011. Had it serviced a month ago. And then the problems started. So I started shutting off the Circuit Breaker after it got cool enough then shut it off. All the functions worked on the remote except the temp. I suspected a thermostat??. They want 2000 baht for a new board. I rent, so I thought screw that, as the owner basically said live with it. I have another new one in the bedroom and can use that but with this heat its a major draw. .

So that is what the deal was or has been which started two weeks ago. So I took off all the plastic on the front, disconnected the 10 pin connector from the little outside tiny Printed Circuit Board which has the lights on it and shot WD-40 onto it and used an old toothbrush to kind of scrubbed it. Well, so far all good. Too much humidity I guess and dirt shorting out the main Circuit Board. Its not nice when your AC stops when its too hot.

• Thumbs Up 1