Fighting overweight and obesity

9 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I don't have links but as the earlier poster also said, I have NAFLD also and it has now progressed to NASH, my diet is as clean as clean can be although artifical sweeteners were the one thing that wasn't.

Yikes.  Curious what symptoms look (looked) like.  Thankfully, I am not diabetic.  It also helps I never smoked.  Quit beer years ago.  Never could tolerate hard alcohol, really, but the brew definitely jacked up my head AND my body.

2 minutes ago, Sheist said:

Yikes.  Curious what symptoms look (looked) like.  Thankfully, I am not diabetic.  It also helps I never smoked.  Quit beer years ago.  Never could tolerate hard alcohol, really, but the brew definitely jacked up my head AND my body.

AST and ALT tests at same level (liver function), also elevated A1C

2 minutes ago, Sheist said:

Coke No Sugar - That is not a typo.  😁👍  I stopped Diet Coke (gag!) many years ago.

Bear in mind, I am not a drinker of tea, coffee, beer or alcohol of any kind.  Still drink water per day, too.  Very hot climate here.

I will call it an absurd weakness. There is no bear in mind. 

11 minutes ago, transam said:

You tell us you are a high achiever, diet and exercise no exception, yet you could drop dead tomorrow ......🤭

Oh, never mind..........😋

Joke books on sale at B2S.

Go treat yourself.

6 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

I will call it an absurd weakness. There is no bear in mind. 

There is no "bare" in mind.  😆

I returned to my 18 year old weight and health by including a mental aspect in combination with diet and exercise.

Your body responds to verbal commands.  I ordered my body to produce the results required by twice daily affirmations.  Something like "Please return my body to 175 lbs and with perfect health and vitality.  Over and over.  Day after day.  Persistence.  And it just happens by default. Very powerful results, without much effort.

It also helps to identify stress/worry in your life and eliminate as much as possible.  The weight accumulates much quicker when you are more hassled.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

I returned to my 18 year old weight and health by including a mental aspect in combination with diet and exercise.

Your body responds to verbal commands.  I ordered my body to produce the results required by twice daily affirmations.  Something like "Please return my body to 175 lbs and with perfect health and vitality.  Over and over.  Day after day.  Persistence.  And it just happens by default. Very powerful results, without much effort.

It also helps to identify stress/worry in your life and eliminate as much as possible.  The weight accumulates much quicker when you are more hassled.

Ah, mind over matter. For years I've been telling myself to be more hansum and my wife tells me it's been working!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

It takes a lot more than "verbal commands", sadly.  😄

6 hours ago, Carlotta said:

ONLY in fairy tales 😂😂😂

IN lived reality, slim & fit at age 75 with good numbers across the board and free of meds.

Cheers!

image.png.234be14f9ea5bd08a24b9eb3b608688c.png

image.png.4d1f8a0b709b8266439ffc943dda4d50.png

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, BigStar said:

IN lived reality, slim & fit at age 75 with good numbers across the board and free of meds.

Cheers!

Thanks ... nice graph and probably get that 1/3 just from my daily eggs, milk intake.   Big fan of beef & crustaceans, so fits in my diet.

Got that daily multivitamin to fill in any gaps, if eating lite on any one day...JIC :coffee1:

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Cheers!

image.png.234be14f9ea5bd08a24b9eb3b608688c.png

image.png.4d1f8a0b709b8266439ffc943dda4d50.png

I wish you will have some good years to come. However...

• 4 weeks later...

On 4/18/2024 at 12:55 AM, Lancelot01 said:

Same here, I dropped from 85kg two years ago to 64kg with the help of exercise and Keto.

I'm still 64/66kg and eat as much low carb foods as I like. I dine out regularly and I seldom feel hungry.

Further, I am no longer required to take any medication for blood pressure, cholesterol. An upside of this regime is a reduction in my medical and travel insurance premiums. 

Many people simply don’t realize how easy it is to lose weight with a proper diet. I found this out my accident, so to speak. 

Last fall I decided to try a carnivore diet. About the same time, I read about the benefits of intermittent fasting, so I experimented with a three day water fast now and then.  Anyway, once you cut out alcohol, fructose, sugar, carbohydrates, bread and other grains, processed and ultra processed food, your body burns up all available sugars and then goes through a process where you start to burn stored fat. By that point, the sugar cravings subside. You never feel all that hungry. You’re using mostly protein for energy.

After about six weeks of that routine, I went to the doctor for some blood work. My weight was down to 74 kilos (from about 85) and my blood pressure was 118/68 with no meds. My cholesterol readings were optimal with no meds. For reference, I’m 5’10”.  More recently, the scale said 70 kilos.  That’s about what I weighed in my 20s, so I can’t complain. I’m now 72.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jas007 said:

Many people simply don’t realize how easy it is to lose weight with a proper diet. I found this out my accident, so to speak. 

Last fall I decided to try a carnivore diet. About the same time, I read about the benefits of intermittent fasting, so I experimented with a three day water fast now and then.  Anyway, once you cut out alcohol, fructose, sugar, carbohydrates, bread and other grains, processed and ultra processed food, your body burns up all available sugars and then goes through a process where you start to burn stored fat. By that point, the sugar cravings subside. You never feel all that hungry. You’re using mostly protein for energy.

After about six weeks of that routine, I went to the doctor for some blood work. My weight was down to 74 kilos (from about 85) and my blood pressure was 118/68 with no meds. My cholesterol readings were optimal with no meds. For reference, I’m 5’10”.  More recently, the scale said 70 kilos.  That’s about what I weighed in my 20s, so I can’t complain. I’m now 72.

A weight loss of 11 kgs in six weeks is very dangerous, the recommended rate of loss is one to two pounds per week.

I wasn’t even trying to lose weight. It just happened when I altered my diet. Anyway, according to the doctors, everything was fine.  As for quick weight loss being “dangerous “?  I wonder why? I’ll have to do some research.

The only problem I saw was that continuing with a carnivore diet might be difficult for most people.  You almost have to cook all your own food and forget about eating in restaurants. And if you look at the junk they sell in the typical grocery store, there isn’t much to eat from there, either. 

• Like 2

Update: I looked it up. They warn of various dangers of rapid weigh loss, such as nutritional deficiencies, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, lack of adequate fiber, muscle loss, and so on.  Some of this is just common sense.  In any event, a person can take precautions.

The doctors who advocate for a carnivore diet explain that you need to have adequate water intake, add electrolytes, and perhaps vitamins.  Red meat itself is an excellent food source.  Over a period of a few weeks, the body adjusts. 

• Agree 2

On 4/8/2024 at 10:22 AM, Scouse123 said:

Well done on the weight loss and Keto.

How can you eat bread on the Keto though?

I get all the other stuff and I previously have been successful on Keto.

I go for annual health checks in Khonkaen, but they told me on the last visit that they don't like Keto or any diet that misses out on food groups.

I suppose it's a balancing act where you weigh up the benefits of weight loss, ( less stress on organs and body joints) to the levels of nutrients in the body.

There's a number of recipes for keto bread on YouTube, one I use is a 3min microwave job that's main ingredient is Mozzarella cheese some almond flour almond milk egg and baking powder, tastes great, toasts well and gets that bread yearning out off me make it about twice a week, 

On 4/8/2024 at 2:52 PM, Freddy42OZ said:

It's so easy to for most people to lose weight and even easier for them to have not put it on in the first place.

Except most people are not willing to make the required sacrifices.

If you tell fat people that if they never eat another pizza, or burger, never drinking another can of coke or eat another slice of cake they will lose the weight; or they can keep eating those things but they will stay fat and probably get fatter.....  you would think that 100% of them would choose to never eat those things but for some reason people seem to prefer a little pleasure even if they will look repulsive.

Society should be doing a lot more to discourage fat people.  But instead we have the utter nonsense of people not wanting to hurt fat people feelings.

What a load of <deleted>....you can start with the dietary requirements (food pyramid) some US department recommended way back and has since been modified a few times, told the world what they should be eating phasing it down our throats in the 70's and guess what?

And they still have it wrong I might add.

22 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

A weight loss of 11 kgs in six weeks is very dangerous, the recommended rate of loss is one to two pounds per week.

Not sure about that, as that was my usual, for about 10 yrs running, 30-40 yrs old.  Put on 25 lbs over the winter, and lose it the 1st month of spring.   Was usually 10 lbs the 1st week, and 5 lbs the next 3 weeks.  

Only real negative I read at the time, as not good to do consistent, on the gall bladder.   But once a year, didn't see a problem.   Never took vitamins or electrolytes while doing.   First 3 days, not food at all, string the stomach a bit (or my thinking) then minimal, bowl of Total cereal, & fruit and or veggie salad, no dressings, the next couple days. 

That was an easy 10 lbs off, as I think water intake accounted for a bit, as body no longer storing.   Next 3 weeks, Total cereal (fortified for vitamins), then lots of protein, and fruit/veggie salad.

Being very active helped, burning calories and not bored.  Kept it at ~800 calories a day, tried to.

On 4/9/2024 at 4:09 PM, FolkGuitar said:

There are several categories for following the Keto lifestyle, and each has its own characteristics.

Pure Keto - Very, very strict. Absolutely zero sugar, zero processed foods, only free-range eggs and meat. Fresh vegetables. Very careful attention to 'personal macros,' and record-keeping of protein, fats, and carbs. Probably the fastest way today to lose weight but I couldn't do it!
Lazy Keto - just like Pure, very dietarily strict but without the record-keeping so not as exact.

Dirty Keto - Not at all pure. Eating most everything, but avoiding most starches and large sugars, with attention to personal macros only to remain in Ketosis.

Dirty Lazy Keto - I think you get it.

So long as the body is in Ketosis, these all work. With a side benefit that you never feel hungry, and never feel full or bloated after a meal!

Listening to many dieters (I mod a Keto group) their number one reason for not continuing with their previous programs was that it was too strict. Too restrictive. Too boring.  For me, Pure Keto is like that. I tried it. I wasn't comfortable with it. So I evolved eventually into Lazy Dirty Keto, which HAS worked for me for the past 5 years.

I tried keto about 5 ys ago, did well on it but after 3 months got tired of what I was eating, the working out of macros never came easy to me for some reason anyway started to look up keto recipes to expand so to speak, well I hit a wall and stopped loosing weight....

Got back onto keto about 6 weeks ago, had been fasting on and off over the last 5 ys, which was part of being fat adapted on keto the first time, I normally go 18/6 sometimes OMAD and done a 48 hr fast a few times.

Anyway im now more enlightened and not working so I got time and energy to work out menus that keep me in check, loosing at least 1 kilo a week....I decided to keep it simple for me as that what's work.

What the doom and gloom merchants dont get is....fasting or keto and combined, more energy, need less sleep, inflamation of joints magically disappears, certainly adopting fasting cured me off reflux and the beginning of IBM, the list of benefits  is endless.... 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure about that, as that was my usual, for about 10 yrs running, 30-40 yrs old.  Put on 25 lbs over the winter, and lose it the 1st month of spring.   Was usually 10 lbs the 1st week, and 5 lbs the next 3 weeks.  

Only real negative I read at the time, as not good to do consistent, on the gall bladder.   But once a year, didn't see a problem.   Never took vitamins or electrolytes while doing.   First 3 days, not food at all, string the stomach a bit (or my thinking) then minimal, bowl of Total cereal, & fruit and or veggie salad, no dressings, the next couple days. 

That was an easy 10 lbs off, as I think water intake accounted for a bit, as body no longer storing.   Next 3 weeks, Total cereal (fortified for vitamins), then lots of protein, and fruit/veggie salad.

Being very active helped, burning calories and not bored.  Kept it at ~800 calories a day, tried to.

I should have qualified what I wrote and said that for older people and those not use to an exercise regime, rapid weight loss is dangerous. In your case, it's far less so because you were doing a post winter burn off that was seasonal plus it sounds like you exercised a lot.

I've just managed to shed 8 kgs over seven weeks and have had to stop because I'm overdoing it and was getting hypo in the morning. There's some medical stuff in there but now, being back at my 2016 weight once again I feel fantastic. I took a machete to my diet and am now very firmly back into healthy eating once again, to the point of driving my wife crazy at times. :)) What can I say, she runs a confectionary/bakery business, which was half the problem.

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

I should have qualified what I wrote and said that for older people and those not use to an exercise regime, rapid weight loss is dangerous. In your case, it's far less so because you were doing a post winter burn off that was seasonal plus it sounds like you exercised a lot.

I've just managed to shed 8 kgs over seven weeks and have had to stop because I'm overdoing it and was getting hypo in the morning. There's some medical stuff in there but now, being back at my 2016 weight once again I feel fantastic. I took a machete to my diet and am now very firmly back into healthy eating once again, to the point of driving my wife crazy at times. :)) What can I say, she runs a confectionary/bakery business, which was half the problem.

Yes, age matters, and activity.  As a bit of weight loss here, since not that active, has been due to muscle atrophy ... Chest & arms, though not so much legs, as still cycling a bit.  Even slowed that down as of late.

• Love It 1

At the end of Covid I weighed 102kg, the heaviest I have ever been.  About a year later, getting back to normal activities and not just sitting inside all day, I was down to 95kg, which gave me a BMI of about 28 or 29.

Then I had a heart attack.

My doctor recommended the following diet:  No refined sugar, no alcohol, (an occasional small glass of red wine is ok), no processed foods, no margarine, less dairy (only mozzarella or feta cheese), no red meat.  So what do I eat?  Whole wheat bread, chicken, fish, lean pork, lots of vegetables and fruit, avocados and garlic every day.  But the most important part of my diet is that I eat a hearty breakfast (though I do miss my bacon & sausage), a large lunch and then just some fruit for dinner.

I went from 95kg to about 78-79kg in 4 months and have maintained that weight since then.  My BMI is about 23 and it is much easier to climb stairs, get in and out of cars, etc...  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Callmeishmael said:

At the end of Covid I weighed 102kg, the heaviest I have ever been.  About a year later, getting back to normal activities and not just sitting inside all day, I was down to 95kg, which gave me a BMI of about 28 or 29.

Then I had a heart attack.

My doctor recommended the following diet:  No refined sugar, no alcohol, (an occasional small glass of red wine is ok), no processed foods, no margarine, less dairy (only mozzarella or feta cheese), no red meat.  So what do I eat?  Whole wheat bread, chicken, fish, lean pork, lots of vegetables and fruit, avocados and garlic every day.  But the most important part of my diet is that I eat a hearty breakfast (though I do miss my bacon & sausage), a large lunch and then just some fruit for dinner.

I went from 95kg to about 78-79kg in 4 months and have maintained that weight since then.  My BMI is about 23 and it is much easier to climb stairs, get in and out of cars, etc...  

That pretty much mirrors my diet, I find it quite satisfying to not eat crap food.

• Agree 1