Fighting overweight and obesity

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Artificial sweeteners in coke and other dinks need caution, the body doesn't know what to do with it so it gets stored on the liver as a form of fat....fatty liver ensues.

I agree. Most artificial sweeteners are more unhealthy than using sugar. I've had non-alcoholic fatty liver for at least 25 years and no amount of diet or exercise has reduced the fat.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rwill said:

You might want to take fish sauce off that list.  I started looking at labels for fish sauce.  The lowest I found was 1% sugar.   All the way up to 6% sugar.

I just try to avoid sugar, rice, bread, potatoes as much as possible.  Also Sriracha sauce is like 17% sugar. Try not to eat highly processed foods.

Been talking with my friends , and all of us are normal weight and always have been. We eat almost everything, and know when to stop. We have a glass of wine or 2 sometimes, or  rice/ potatoes even an ice cream now and again.,Just eat healthy regular meals and no snacking. Of course, I cut out the sugar ( especially in Thailand) go easy on the salt, and eat everything reasonably. So easy .

Not too difficult ( in theory ).   Much of the problem is about lifestyle choices.  Eat as many fresh foods as possible and as few processed foods as possible or any 'empty' calories.     With a very few medical exceptions,  fat people eat too much .        

4 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

gee.. I woke up @ 2am  made myself   500grams of "hamburger"  and 4 sunnyside up eggs ,,,,

I'll eat again when my body says "feed me"

enjoy....why to live a longer life 😅

Reminds of the time at the bar when I overhead two women talking in an English accent, I introduced myself and asked if you two girls were from England, they both scowled at me and said......WALES! I apologised and asked.... are you two Whales from England......

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Except for construction and agriculture workers  (who are mostly from myanmar and other poorer neighboring countries anyways..) , damn the Thais have gone from Laurel to Hardy in just the past 15 years or so. fat and jelly fish like gelatinous  flesh . Gross.

11 hours ago, Carlotta said:

If you skip your roast beef and your very late meal I would agree. Though your Mozzarella might be processed. So skip this too.😊

Skip the bread only. Rest good.

15 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I see there's an organisation being set up for expats in Pattaya to address this problem.....they are calling it 'Fat Losers'....not too sure about the name though.

I think that's a drinking club.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Well done on the weight loss and Keto.

How can you eat bread on the Keto though?

I get all the other stuff and I previously have been successful on Keto.

I go for annual health checks in Khonkaen, but they told me on the last visit that they don't like Keto or any diet that misses out on food groups.

Keto-friendly breads, cakes, cookies, tortillas, pizza dough, etc., etc., are not a problem!  Instead of wheat flour, we can use Lupin Flour, Almond Four, etc., and surprisingly, a recipe using cheese! 
Keep in mind that "I" do not like to 'suffer.' I won't deprive myself of things I enjoy. And with Keto, there is always a viable substitute! We just have to find them. If you want the recipes for these things, just ask! Happy to oblige!

But what food groups are missing? Every day I eat protein, fats, and carbs. I eat meat/fish/chicken, vegetables, fruit,  I eat Meat, Dairy, Vegetables, candy, and cakes. What group is missing? We were brought up in the 40's and 50's to believe that we need certain foods. Most of that belief came without peer-reviewed scientific testing so we ate margarine, threw away the salt, and started inventing fake foods to be healthy. 

Most older doctors, trained in the 50's-80's, having only one semester of nutrition (dating back 40 years) in 8 years of Medical School, and never going back for updates, are sadly out of touch with modern Peer-reviewed research, still quote the old party line.

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I can't go all keto, but was surprised when peeking at what is Keto-ish foods, and most I like and are available.  List of for me, as I omitted the one's I don't eat, or not really available in TH, or where I live.

I still need my pastry & bread, so all Keto just wouldn't work for me.

I eat bread and pastry almost every day. I especially love tortillas to make Mexican quesadillas.
Just because we follow Keto doesn't mean we have to deprive ourselves of the foods we love. My favorite is Basque Burnt Cheese Cake. Thousands of recipes online or at our Chiang Mai Keto FB group If you want recipes, just ask.

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Keto-friendly breads, cakes, cookies, tortillas, pizza dough, etc., etc., are not a problem!  Instead of wheat flour, we can use Lupin Flour, Almond Four, etc., and surprisingly, a recipe using cheese! 
Keep in mind that "I" do not like to 'suffer.' I won't deprive myself of things I enjoy. And with Keto, there is always a viable substitute! We just have to find them. If you want the recipes for these things, just ask! Happy to oblige!

But what food groups are missing? Every day I eat protein, fats, and carbs. I eat meat/fish/chicken, vegetables, fruit,  I eat Meat, Dairy, Vegetables, candy, and cakes. What group is missing? We were brought up in the 40's and 50's to believe that we need certain foods. Most of that belief came without peer-reviewed scientific testing so we ate margarine, threw away the salt, and started inventing fake foods to be healthy. 

Most older doctors, trained in the 50's-80's, having only one semester of nutrition (dating back 40 years) in 8 years of Medical School, and never going back for updates, are sadly out of touch with modern Peer-reviewed research, still quote the old party line.

I eat bread and pastry almost every day. I especially love tortillas to make Mexican quesadillas.
Just because we follow Keto doesn't mean we have to deprive ourselves of the foods we love. My favorite is Basque Burnt Cheese Cake. Thousands of recipes online or at our Chiang Mai Keto FB group If you want recipes, just ask.

Then you certainly can't say you're on a Keto diet, and enjoy the effects of ketosis.

As can see on the list I posted, (condensed from here) there's plenty of foods & such, to eat healthier, but yea, I'm not giving up what makes me smile.  All keto would be impossible, and I'm not complete sold on and 'all' one type diet.   Easy to cut out most of the crap.

Not really a fan of other flours, though TBH, can't really say I've given them a fair shake.   I like light & fluffy bread.   I even cut back on my whole wheat.  Tried 250/250gr, (bread flour/whole wheat) 300/200gr, just OK, but made an all bread flour loaf the other day, and still like that best.  Today I'll try 400/100gr ratio.  

I did cut way back on my bread intake, as can easily eat half a loaf (435gr) in one day.  Think I got it down to 200gr a day.

Edited by KhunLA

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And at least I prefer to die happy with my favorite food.

How do you know you are gonna die happy?

You could live a few decades blind and in a wheelchair from diabetes.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

How do you know you are gonna die happy?

You could live a few decades blind and in a wheelchair from diabetes.

Yes. Or maybe I live even 10 years longer counting calories and sorting food and eating tofu.

portrait-unhappy-man-eating-broccoli-sal

intro-1700592903.jpg

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes. Or maybe I live even 10 years longer counting calories and sorting food and eating tofu.

Already passed my expiration date (67.7 yrs) so must be doing something right.  Passed my father's age of 69, 3 months ago, now to pass my mother's, of 73.   Myself & brothers (71 & 76) are oldest living in our family, with exception of one cousin, at 84.

Most other's in our mother & father's bloodline died before 60, of self induce liver & lung cancers.  Amazing my parents beat them out, being stone alkys & chain smokers up to last moment.

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have to admit I prefer too big and happy compared to all those people who watch their diet and can't eat this and that and not more than a little, etc.

Enjoy your life and eat what you want. We will all die. And at least I prefer to die happy with my favorite food.

pngtree-cartoon-overweight-man-holding-t

Don't want to look like a walking meatball, so better to have a close look what you are eating to keep your weight in a healthy range.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Then you certainly can't say you're on a Keto diet, and enjoy the effects of ketosis.

(SNIP)

I did cut way back on my bread intake, as can easily eat half a loaf (435gr) in one day.  Think I got it down to 200gr a day.

If your body is in Ketosis (the metabolic state in which the body burns fats for energy instead of sugars,) you are getting the benefits of the Keto lifestyle.  I measure my Ketone output every day, and have for the past almost five years. The fact that my body DOES produce ketone bodies means I AM in Ketosis.

Over the years I've learned that I like to break Ketosis every 4-6 months for about a week, and then I am definitely NOT in Ketosis. It takes me four days of correct eating to get back into it, tested by Ketone reagent strips. For me, and my body, I can eat about 50g of carbs per day without breaking Ketosis, which allows me to eat fresh vegetables, bread, and fruit every day. I just can't eat them at every meal.

We have to remember; that there are different forms of Keto that a person can choose;  'Pure Keto,' 'Lazy Keto, 'Dirty Keto,' and 'Dirty, Lazy Keto' that one can choose to follow. Different requirements for each, but they all rely upon keeping carb intake below the required (different for each person, so you have to carefully track in the beginning) levels so as to remain in Ketosis.

I am the moderator of on of Chiang Mai's Keto face book groups, and would be happy to help you if you have questions regarding your own macros.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Already passed my expiration date (67.7 yrs) so must be doing something right.

Yeah... but still a kid. Wait until you get as old as me, and then check!  LOL!

How to eat processed foods 'healthier'  .. as I stated earlier, 'what when & how' you eat does make a difference.   This is informative, especially for us 'bread eaters'    I make my own, though it is process bread flower.  Have whole wheat, I just don't care for it.   Will test today, with 20% whole wheat added to my bread flour.   See how that taste and fluffs up.

2 hours ago, UWEB said:

Don't want to look like a walking meatball, so better to have a close look what you are eating to keep your weight in a healthy range.

That reminds me that my gf just complained she wants a mirror in our new apartment.

I didn't really miss it. 😉 

On 4/8/2024 at 9:20 AM, JoePai said:

Stop pouring so much sugar into food would be a good start

Thank you, I totally agree. So many over sweetend Thai products including bread, milk and drinks. IMO Thai mayonaise was the most disgusting I had ever tasted - so sweet! Compared to Cambodia, Thailand lacks a vast choice of low sugar/sugar free food products like we have on our Cambodian supermarket shelves. Mitrphol take note - stop causing obesity in your country!

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

maybe I live even 10 years longer counting calories and sorting food and eating tofu.

A common self-deception. Plenty of delicious low carb food out there. You won't miss the sugar and starches after your insulin stays consistently low and under control naturally. I once thought I'd never give up pizza. Now I don't miss it or ice cream in the least. I can have substitutes that are close enough.

On 4/8/2024 at 10:05 AM, rwill said:

You might want to take fish sauce off that list.  I started looking at labels for fish sauce.  The lowest I found was 1% sugar.   All the way up to 6% sugar.

I just try to avoid sugar, rice, bread, potatoes as much as possible.  Also Sriracha sauce is like 17% sugar. Try not to eat highly processed foods.

There are several categories for following the Keto lifestyle, and each has its own characteristics.

Pure Keto - Very, very strict. Absolutely zero sugar, zero processed foods, only free-range eggs and meat. Fresh vegetables. Very careful attention to 'personal macros,' and record-keeping of protein, fats, and carbs. Probably the fastest way today to lose weight but I couldn't do it!
Lazy Keto - just like Pure, very dietarily strict but without the record-keeping so not as exact.

Dirty Keto - Not at all pure. Eating most everything, but avoiding most starches and large sugars, with attention to personal macros only to remain in Ketosis.

Dirty Lazy Keto - I think you get it.

So long as the body is in Ketosis, these all work. With a side benefit that you never feel hungry, and never feel full or bloated after a meal!

Listening to many dieters (I mod a Keto group) their number one reason for not continuing with their previous programs was that it was too strict. Too restrictive. Too boring.  For me, Pure Keto is like that. I tried it. I wasn't comfortable with it. So I evolved eventually into Lazy Dirty Keto, which HAS worked for me for the past 5 years.

Edited by FolkGuitar

On 4/8/2024 at 4:47 PM, Mike Lister said:

Artificial sweeteners in coke and other dinks need caution, the body doesn't know what to do with it so it gets stored on the liver as a form of fat....fatty liver ensues.

What sources/links?  I'd like to research.  I need something more to make me give up my Coke No Sugar, though.  😄  Still waiting for research to leave the "may" zone and complete some clinical trials, but it has been MANY years now waiting for that.  I just read one from December 2023 where they say the same "may" and  "awaiting clinical trials" etc.  I've been enjoying Coke Zero/No Sugar since it debuted in 2005.  🙂  No, I don't overcompensate by eating more sugary foods.  I enjoy the same soda per day - about 1-2 liters - but I stopped the sugary drinks when I picked up Coke Zero in 2005.  Drink lots of water too, but boring TBH.

Oh, I do remember the long list of faux sweeteners over the many years: saccarin, sucralose, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, stevia, etc.  Hated the old DIet Coke "experience", but I dig Coke No Sugar.  A lot.  My tastebuds don't want the sugary anymore.  Same for Sprite No Sugar, 7-Up No Sugar - all terrific taste "experience."  

3 minutes ago, Sheist said:

What sources/links?  I'd like to research.  I need something more to make me give up my Coke No Sugar, though.  😄  Still waiting for research to leave the "may" zone and complete some clinical trials, but it has been MANY years now waiting for that.  I just read one from December 2023 where they say the same "may" and  "awaiting clinical trials" etc.  I've been enjoying Coke Zero/No Sugar since it debuted in 2005.  🙂  No, I don't overcompensate by eating more sugary foods.  I enjoy the same soda per day - about 1-2 liters - but I stopped the sugary drinks when I picked up Coke Zero in 2005.  Drink lots of water too, but boring TBH.

Oh, I do remember the long list of faux sweeteners over the many years: saccarin, sucralose, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, stevia, etc.  Hated the old DIet Coke "experience", but I dig Coke No Sugar.  A lot.  My tastebuds don't want the sugary anymore.  Same for Sprite No Sugar, 7-Up No Sugar - all terrific taste "experience."  

You drink 1 to 2L of diet coke per day??

2 minutes ago, Sheist said:

I don't have links but as the earlier poster also said, I have NAFLD also and it has now progressed to NASH, my diet is as clean as clean can be although artifical sweeteners were the one thing that wasn't.

3 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

You drink 1 to 2L of diet coke per day??

Coke No Sugar - That is not a typo.  😁👍  I stopped Diet Coke (gag!) many years ago.

Bear in mind, I am not a drinker of tea, coffee, beer or alcohol of any kind.  Still drink water per day, too.  Very hot climate here.

5 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Then i don't get the "joke". Or was it? 

Why is it famous last words.

You tell us you are a high achiever, diet and exercise no exception, yet you could drop dead tomorrow ......🤭

Oh, never mind..........😋

• Haha 1