Any Thai Male Friends ?

Mango-Guy

I was going to write a sarky comment following on from Shopgurls convulted theories about (sheltered) Thai girls gravitating towards farangs, but thought I'd start a new thread on the subject.

I don't believe that so many Thai guys are gay or near gay. And I wonder about the true extent of their infideities.

However, I don't really know any ? How about you expats, have you managed to make any Thai male friends (mates, buddies - not boyfriends !!) Maybe brother in laws or something ? How about Thai speaking farangs, do you have Thai male mates?

Curious about this as well.

Yes, I have, not gay, and not very close, either. How would you know you have a close Thai male friend? (maybe you'd know if you didn't feel like asking the question.)

Seriously, I have mates who would lend me a serious size of their salary if I needed it, but emotionally not as close as my farang mates. Leaving me alone with their gf/wife in the room, is this a sign of trust?

yes, got some (non gay) and curiously looking forward to have more in the future.

In a man's world one should be thankful to have (sincere) male friends, I guess.

Nevertheless, as stroll mentioned already...they (thai men) never ever will be the same type/quality as my european male friends are/have been :o

I was going to write a sarky comment following on from Shopgurls convulted theories about (sheltered) Thai girls gravitating towards farangs, but thought I'd start a new thread on the subject.

I don't believe that so many Thai guys are gay or near gay. And I wonder about the true extent of their infideities.

Where in my post are you conjuring up these things?

I guess from working in 3 organizations over the past 6 years, industries such as shipping, manufacturing, fashion and retail, both local and overseas businesses, having an opportunity to meet women of all age range that I had gotten to know each quite well, added with a close network of friends and friends of friends of various nationalities, added with volunteering for women support groups, and probably the least important which is that I'm a Thai woman myself, my views are not substantial enough. I'm really sorry to have tried to explain anything in the first place.

Good luck.

I've got 2 that I would call good friends and loads of acquaintances/drinking buddys, but then again my nearest falang neibour is about 50 km away and I sometimes go for months without seeing another falang.

I dont think that my close friends are that much different from my falang close friends, but it is nice to talk to someone in your own language with a shared cultural background sometimes.

chokrai Posted on Tue 2004-07-13, 08:57:27

I dont have any male Thai friends as i dont speak the language well and i dont drink.
Yep that would do it :o

Dont drink??

chokrai Posted on: Wed 2004-07-07, 09:15:10

I have never tried Tiger beer,where is it from? It has got to be better then all the crap Thai beer and that includes the Heinenken and Carlsburg. I wish you could get Beer Lao here i tried some at the Lao border last year and it was pretty good.

Well informed for a non drinker :D

Nevertheless, as stroll mentioned already...they (thai men) never ever will be the same type/quality as my european male friends are/have been :o

I'll 2nd that, my quality friends do not have Thai nationality. Just like quality tourists in Thailand have loads of cash, regardless of nationality. No cash, no quality.. Interesting concept by the way when compared to Thai friends...

Dutchy

chokrai Posted on Tue 2004-07-13, 08:57:27
I dont have any male Thai friends as i dont speak the language well and i dont drink.

Yep that would do it :o

Dont drink??

chokrai Posted on: Wed 2004-07-07, 09:15:10

I have never tried Tiger beer,where is it from? It has got to be better then all the crap Thai beer and that includes the Heinenken and Carlsburg. I wish you could get Beer Lao here i tried some at the Lao border last year and it was pretty good.
Well informed for a non drinker :D

Busted! Good memory can be a bi###....for other people.

"Busted! Good memory can be a bi###....for other people."

Specially after a few Chang when one is in the mood for some more Thai bashing...

Speaking of which:

"No cash, no quality.. Interesting concept by the way when compared to Thai friends..."

I'd say you get the friends you deserve. As for me, people who try to take advantage or borrow money, I don't call friends, and lose fast.

Plenty of genuine, well meaning Thais around to spend one's time with.

Stroll, that's an interesting point about money. We HAD a Thai friend for a number of yeards, but we got tired of the constant requests and guilt-tripping about borrowing money - especially when we were short ourselves. It was a shame to let a friendship of many years go, but constant money requests (even though we would eventually manage to get repaid) turned things sour. :o

Well guys as someone who has at least 10 friends who are alkies i dont consider having a beer 'drinking' Having a beer for breakfast and finishing off with the creme de menthe at 3 in the morning is 'drinking' Getting out of de-tox on sunday and starting on the Jack on the way home is 'drinking' Hiding a huge bottle of cheap wine in the parking garage and waking up in the storage locker two days later is 'drinking' Sitting around with a bunch of Thai guys drinking shit booze till the local policeman shoots someone[which happened here last week] is 'drinking' have i made myself clear?

Well guys as someone who has at least 10 friends who are alkies i dont consider having a beer 'drinking' Having a beer for breakfast and finishing off with the creme de menthe at 3 in the morning is 'drinking' Getting out of de-tox on sunday and starting on the Jack on the way home is 'drinking' Hiding a huge bottle of cheap wine in the parking garage and waking up in the storage locker two days later is 'drinking' Sitting around with a bunch of Thai guys drinking shit booze till the local policeman shoots someone[which happened here last week]is 'drinking' have i made myself clear?

Understood, in that case I dont "drink" either :o

Oh I agree with the money bit as well, Keeping asking for money/not paying your own way is a good way to become ex-friends.

Chokrai:

You have made clear that you have at least 10 farang friends who are hardcore alkies, but you haven't made clear why you can't be friends with Thai men who don't drink, drink moderately, or drink a lot like your other friends.

Stroll- I think it is pretty hard to become friends if you dont speak the same language though i guess it depends what you mean by friends. I have met a couple of Thai guys that are pretty good guys but we soon ran out of things to talk about with their limited english and my even worse Thai so unless you like to sit around and get pissed[not that there is anything wrong with that!] then it is kind of boring.

Chokrai has a point if you dont speak the language its hard to form a friendship.

Most of the men up here work and just have'nt got the time to sit around drinking all day, holidays are different and people usually congragate around different houses and eat and drink all day (a few days for son gran and Chines new year).

Other than that it may be a few beers/loa cow after work, mabye share a bottle of sand som if they are'nt working the next day.

Of my two good friends one works in MTEC BKK and usually comes home on the weekends, then usually the other friend comes over as well, and we usually share a bottle of sang som or two, oh the other friend has his own lorry and does'nt drink if he's driving the next day (well maybe a beer or two).

Just one more point if you dont speak the language then sitting around drinking with Thais is a pretty fun way to learn :o

I have a couple of male thai friends, that i could call good mates. one is gay but can be spoken to 'like a man' and as far as friendship is concerned he's as solid as a rock.

I've met Thai people who 'want' to be friends but sadly it boils down to what they can get out of me.