What do you remember ?

Question, since you're reading this... Can you remember - 

There used to be a kids TV adventure show set in Arabia, dubbed I think, but they were always riding about the desert on horses and fighting in old-style forts.  

What was it called?

There were these things advertised for sale in the Marvel comics called "sea monkeys"   my parents wouldn't let me order any , I always wondered what they were, and never did find out. I'd forgotten all about them until now.   Can anybody enlighten me ?

On 4/10/2024 at 2:44 AM, The Cobra said:

I find as I am getting older that I often reflect back on how things have changed from when I was a kid. What do you remember ?

Here are some of the things that come to mind, 

Dad starting the car with a handle.

Mother fighting with a clothes wringer

Lighting a fire in the living room.

Carrying coal

Lighting it with paraffin block firelighters.

Keeping pigeons as pets

Sunday night bathtime

Test card on TV

Only 2 channels

45, 33 and 78 records

Radiograms

Fruit salad, black-jacks, bronco busters

Coppers had capes that walked the street.

Milk delivered in glass bottles

Phonecall from a box in the street.

Party lines

Pathe News before the A and B movie

Saturday cinema

Saturday job in a Butchers

Sunday was a day of rest and everything was closed.

Playing "kick the can" 

What do you remember ? Not what you were told about but actually remember from when you were a kid ?

Everything listed with the exception of the pigeons - we ate them.

Actually, we didn't - in the south we thought that was just a northern city fad for those with flat rooftop access... and a penchant for bird sh*t!

Two-Way Family Favourites

The Navy Lark

Round the Horne

The Woodentops

Hank

Twizzle

Mr Turnip

Bill and Ben

Muffin the Mule

The rag and bone man (yes!)

The tattoos on the milkman's hands

Getting the hell whacked out of me

Lavender stair polish

The Silver Cafe at Bentalls

Austin 7s

The Fire Brigade

Ladies Only compartments

Steam trains to Portsmouth

The Bash Street Kids

Trying to get my flaccid penis into the girl next door

(Hey, I could still get nicked for that!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SportRider said:

There used to be a kids TV adventure show set in Arabia, dubbed I think, but they were always riding about the desert on horses and fighting in old-style forts.  

What was it called?

Was it   The Arabian knights ?   

Talking of TV shows anybody remember    Casey Jones,  

Belle Sabastian and the horses

The singing ringing tree

Pogles Wood

Champion the wonder horse

Vision On

And one more that's not been mentioned but surely not forgotten  the obviously psychedelically influenced and more than a little weird 5 minute production that delighted kids every night at around 5.45pm   I am of course referring to    "The Magic Roundabout"    Starring as far as I can remember ,amongst others  "Florence, Brian ( the snail)  Dylan ( a  spaced out  rabbit) Mr McEnery ( a hyperactive guy on a tricycle) and of course Zebedee ( a bizarre spring thing )

I think it was a french production overdubbed into english

• Agree 1

blue tits pecking the foil tops off milk bottles, stealing the cream and leaving a bluey white milk behind.

doing a paper round

whatjamacallit coins worth about 2.5p....... sixpence???

my old girl's Brotherhood of Man records

conversation

standing up at footy matches, i distinctly remember being picked up and sat on a crush barrier by someone.

non PC comics - Dennis the Menace was a menace.

10 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Was it   The Arabian knights ?   

Talking of TV shows anybody remember    Casey Jones,  

Belle Sabastian and the horses

The singing ringing tree

Pogles Wood

Champion the wonder horse

Vision On

And one more that's not been mentioned but surely not forgotten  the obviously psychedelically influenced and more than a little weird 5 minute production that delighted kids every night at around 5.45pm   I am of course referring to    "The Magic Roundabout"    Starring as far as I can remember ,amongst others  "Florence, Brian ( the snail)  Dylan ( a  spaced out  rabbit) Mr McEnery ( a hyperactive guy on a tricycle) and of course Zebedee ( a bizarre spring thing )

I think it was a french production overdubbed into english

Hearing distant air raid sirens from my grandparents home in Sutton Coldfield. They musf have been precautionary only, as raids over Coventry had long ceased.

Queuing with my mother to buy groceries with coupons, late 1940s, Wimbledon, SW London.

Randolph Turpin beating Sugar Ray Robinson to win the world middleweight championship.

Taking the shopping list to the local corner shop with the ration book, every Thursday.

Buying 2 OXO for half penny on the way to school

The winter of 47

Devastation of being caught in the tin bath by my sisters friend at the age of 7. I didn't know things back then!

Following the dust cart hoping to collect the horse manure to sell @ 3pence a bucket full

First visit to London 1951, first train ride, first sight of an escalator and first sight of a TV

2 days off school due to death of King George VI

Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II

Things have changed. For better or worse? 50/50 is my guess.

1 hour ago, SportRider said:

What was it called?

Alibaba and the forty thieves ?

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

Everything listed with the exception of the pigeons - we ate them.

Actually, we didn't - in the south we thought that was just a northern city fad for those with flat rooftop access... and a penchant for bird sh*t!

We used to take them to the local pet store and sell them ! then wait for them to fly home and sell them again 😀

• Haha 1

Chimney sweeper

Rag man collecting, shouting: Rags, old iron, paper

Farmer selling his produce, shouting: potatoes, cabbages

Sitting in a hand cart going to the local dairy with Aluminium milk cans

Sweeping "your" part of the sidewalk on Saturday morning

Shoveling snow at 5am

Hub caps, vinyl roofs and coat hanger ariels on cars. Waiting for the comics to be delivered on Saturday mornings. Saturday morning kids tv, Noel Edmonds Swap Shop. Nationalised, affordable public services. Council houses for life (fck the Tories for flogging them off), rent officers to keep rents down, free school dinners evoking fond memories of Gypsy Tart

9 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Hub caps, vinyl roofs and coat hanger ariels on cars. Waiting for the comics to be delivered on Saturday mornings. Saturday morning kids tv, Noel Edmonds Swap Shop. Nationalised, affordable public services. Council houses for life (fck the Tories for flogging them off), rent officers to keep rents down, free school dinners evoking fond memories of Gypsy Tart

Choc bricks with pink custard ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eumenades said:

The Silver Cafe at Bentalls

Kingston-on-Thames? That was a huge store, I remember my dad buying my mum a fold down mangle for Christmas there :giggle:  The first elevator I ever went in, with a young man dressed in green livery who operated it. Their father Christmas, That big mirrored 'trough' that was around the front of the store the whole shop done out with Christmas decorations, their toy department it was a whole day out, we needed to take 2 buses just to get there the 264 that only ran once an hour and then the 131 to Kingston.

Maybe we were neighbors, maybe I delivered your milk, maybe I delivered the Saturday Evening Standard Classified with the football results to your house..... LOL.  

Not a particularly early memory, but I was fascinated by our neighbours new TV - I think it was a Pye. Not only was it a rare colour one, but it also had the first remote control I'd ever seen. It used an ultrasonic wave, and their dog would howl every time the channel or volume were changed.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

We were more economical. Rolling up newspapers into tubes and tying a knot in them. Place sticks ontop then a few small pieces of coal.

Oh we were posh we had a gas poker, you lit and pushed in the fire. 

On 4/10/2024 at 2:44 AM, The Cobra said:

I find as I am getting older that I often reflect back on how things have changed from when I was a kid. What do you remember ?

Here are some of the things that come to mind, 

Dad starting the car with a handle.

Mother fighting with a clothes wringer

Lighting a fire in the living room.

Carrying coal

Lighting it with paraffin block firelighters.

Keeping pigeons as pets

Sunday night bathtime

Test card on TV

Only 2 channels

45, 33 and 78 records

Radiograms

Fruit salad, black-jacks, bronco busters

Coppers had capes that walked the street.

Milk delivered in glass bottles

Phonecall from a box in the street.

Party lines

Pathe News before the A and B movie

Saturday cinema

Saturday job in a Butchers

Sunday was a day of rest and everything was closed.

Playing "kick the can" 

What do you remember ? Not what you were told about but actually remember from when you were a kid ?

Yeah, I remember. 

Living in a tent and being afraid of wolves and hyenas. Hunting buffaloes or going fishing. 

Hard life.

This is what I was dreaming when I was a small kid when playing cowboys and Indians.

When I woke up I was happy it was only a dream.🙏

19 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

We were more economical. Rolling up newspapers into tubes and tying a knot in them. Place sticks ontop then a few small pieces of coal.

Oh we were posh we had a gas poker, you lit and pushed in the fire. The hot water boiler in the kitchen that use Anthracite, also a gas poker. Dad pushing a builders wheel barrow, 2 miles to collect coal dust from the coal depot at the station, to damp down the fires at night so they would not need relighting in the morning. Those were the days my friend by 'Mary Hopkins'. 

Waking up on a winter morning with ice on the inside of the windows.

Oldest first to use the bath water, youngest last.

Easter eggs with the chocolate so thick that you needed to smash it with a hammer or something heavy.

Simple gifts for Christmas and we were grateful for whatever we got.

Walking (or bicycling) to school from 5 years old with no adult.

Listening to radio Caroline and other pirate radio.

Recording Pick of the Pops on cassettes.

"Oi'll give it foive".(Janice Nicholls)

Tea made in a teapot with tea leaves.

Running to stand on the bridge as a steam train went under.

Edited by loong
Addition
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Supa Scuda skateboard 1974-5 the craze came in from America mid 70's,

I believe it was me that invented the first 'Skate Board' I took a pair of those adjustable roller skates and separated the front from the back and attached them to a small plank of wood, we had a sloping drive, great fun. I also used a broom stick and an old sheet as a sail on my pram wheeled go cart.

5 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

Given the subject matter, I should add that I remember Mary Hopkin's "Those were the days" 

Appropriate, I think 😄Photo_MaryHopkin_10x8in.jpeg.87ed92310ea19fb343b18409645fa7bb.jpeg 

She only ever made that one song,(written by Paul McCartney ??) and then disappeared from the music industry.

Party lines
Playing with a BB gun outside without worrying about getting shot by the cops
Marveling at the diversity of shore life like crabs, mussels, clams, and oysters in Puget Sound which no longer exist
Being able to tune all of my cars and adjust the values back when they had points and condensers, timing lights, etc.
"Girls were girls and men were men" (I've transitioned from "Meat Head" into Archie Bunker), "we just need a man like John F. Kennedy again...... Those were the days!"  (Gen-Z: "Archie Who???")

Edited by connda

beef dripping butties

john Lennon's death reported on radio news

soda stream

jam in semolina pudding at school - did you mix or work your way around the jam blob in the middle?

making out i was 15 when i was 19 to get cheaper train fares

toys with lead paint

when Everton were good!! mid 80's

1977 - the "Clive Thomas is a b--tard" fa cup semi final

When FA cup day was a day to look forward to  - a real event with a great build up to it.

lard

british bulldogs