What do you remember ?

11 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Supa Scuda skateboard 1974-5 the craze came in from America mid 70's,

I believe it was me that invented the first 'Skate Board' I took a pair of those adjustable roller skates and separated the front from the back and attached them to a small plank of wood, we had a sloping drive, great fun. I also used a broom stick and an old sheet as a sail on my pram wheeled go cart.

Twists of salt in crisps

Scraping ice off the inside of the windows on a morning

Cream so thick it was difficult to drink milk from the bottle.

Putting on damp pyjamas to climb into a damp bed

Breaking the ice in the toilet cistern to flush it.

Midget Gems and Jelly Snakes

• Love It 1

On 4/10/2024 at 1:13 PM, Bday Prang said:

Esso blue

Had ours delivered, and the special square can we had with a vent in the neck I can still remember the song on their TV adds

🎵    'Blue, blue, blue, blue, Esso blue, Esso Esso blue blue blue blue . 🎵

Vintage-ESSO-Blue-Parafin-Metal-Fuel-Can-Close.thumb.webp.4e9ce8b57d64495a8a0aac20d8095d73.webp

Edited by brianthainess

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I believe it was me that invented the first 'Skate Board' I took a pair of those adjustable roller skates and separated the front from the back and attached them to a small plank of wood, we had a sloping drive, great fun. I also used a broom stick and an old sheet as a sail on my pram wheeled go cart.

My brother and I built our skateboards the exact same way with old rollerskates and a wood plank--this was the mid-60s and we were living in Anniston, Alabama for a couple years.  Army brats.  There was a sloping street next to our house with little in the way of traffic and we used it to skateboard down it.  I don't think we ever actually owned a store bought regular skateboard--by the time they were popular we had moved on--both to other interests and to a different location--Okinawa.

• Like 1

Buying a dozen garlic rolls from the local Italian restaurant for 60 cents. Rode my bicycle 5 miles to get them. Such a simple delight. 

Buying a 25 lb. watermelon for a dollar, and sharing it with a friend. We ate the whole thing and could barely walk afterwards. 

The good old days! 

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Buying a dozen garlic rolls from the local Italian restaurant for 60 cents. Rode my bicycle 5 miles to get them. Such a simple delight. 

Buying a 25 lb. watermelon for a dollar, and sharing it with a friend. We ate the whole thing and could barely walk afterwards. 

The good old days! 

Even oranges were still rare in the late 50s in the UK or to expensive, tangerines at Christmas was the closest we ever got. 

On 4/11/2024 at 9:36 AM, brianthainess said:

Kingston-on-Thames? That was a huge store, I remember my dad buying my mum a fold down mangle for Christmas there :giggle:  The first elevator I ever went in, with a young man dressed in green livery who operated it. Their father Christmas, That big mirrored 'trough' that was around the front of the store the whole shop done out with Christmas decorations, their toy department it was a whole day out, we needed to take 2 buses just to get there the 264 that only ran once an hour and then the 131 to Kingston.

Maybe we were neighbors, maybe I delivered your milk, maybe I delivered the Saturday Evening Standard Classified with the football results to your house..... LOL.  

Could be! I used to bunk off school on Thursday afternoons to watch Vincent Price in Hammer films at the Gaumont. (The start of a lifelong interest in cinema.) That followed by a small chocolate bar in Bentalls. Luxury days!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eumenades said:

Could be! I used to bunk off school on Thursday afternoons to watch Vincent Price in Hammer films at the Gaumont. (The start of a lifelong interest in cinema.) That followed by a small chocolate bar in Bentalls. Luxury days!

Oh you naughty boy, I lived out in the sticks of Walton-on Thames, as a boy I was fascinated by the huge Bus Station there. (we never had a car) 

bent.jpg.dac2a161c2227853435e926de6b47275.jpg download(17)busdepo.jpg.e5d5a01d575059960705eeae7a3f9b9b.jpg That Studio 7 was turned into an Adult movie place, and in later years I was 26 my Nypho/exhibitionist GF liked to go their dressed to the nines in a long tight black dress the only female in there

Sadly she ended up going back to her husband after 2 yrs 😭

On 4/11/2024 at 7:51 AM, Bday Prang said:

Was it   The Arabian knights ?   

Talking of TV shows anybody remember    Casey Jones,  

Belle Sabastian and the horses

The singing ringing tree

Pogles Wood

Champion the wonder horse

Vision On

And one more that's not been mentioned but surely not forgotten  the obviously psychedelically influenced and more than a little weird 5 minute production that delighted kids every night at around 5.45pm   I am of course referring to    "The Magic Roundabout"    Starring as far as I can remember ,amongst others  "Florence, Brian ( the snail)  Dylan ( a  spaced out  rabbit) Mr McEnery ( a hyperactive guy on a tricycle) and of course Zebedee ( a bizarre spring thing )

I think it was a french production overdubbed into english

It could have been The Flashing Blade - http://www.thechestnut.com/flashing.htm - though this was sent on the French/Spanish border and I distinctly remember heroes riding horses across deserts.  However the transmission date is spot on, 1969, and also it was a Saturday morning kids TV show.  So it must be this and possibly there was just one desert scene that really stuck with me.  It was a transfixing show for a young Sportrider.  Thanks for mentioning French dubbed, that's how it found it.

UPDATE:  Yes it was The Flashing Blade.  Just found the theme tune and recognised it.  👍

Edited by SportRider
update

On 4/11/2024 at 7:34 AM, Bday Prang said:

There were these things advertised for sale in the Marvel comics called "sea monkeys"   my parents wouldn't let me order any , I always wondered what they were, and never did find out. I'd forgotten all about them until now.   Can anybody enlighten me ?

“Sea Monkeys” are Brine shrimp (Artemis sp).  You bought the desiccated eggs, added them to your salt water, and after 24 hours they would hatch. After 2 weeks, if aerated and fed correctly, they would become adults. They are still very popular in the fish hobby (as food).

On 4/11/2024 at 12:31 PM, Maejo Man said:

Health and beauty magazines every schoolboys mandatory oggling and of course Barretts sherbet fountains at a penny halfpenny.

Health and Efficiency

Listening to the radio on Sunday after going to church:

Spike Milligans: BadJelly the Witch

TV programmes: 

Petticoat Junction

Green Acres

The Dick Emery show

Beverly Hillbillies

UFO

Bonanza

Gunsmoke

The Big Valley

Daniel Boone

The High Chapperell 

Iron Horse 

The Virginian

Get Smart

Hogan's Heroes

Bewitched

I Dream of Jeannie 

The Flying Nun

Going to holiday camps in one of these with my sister and grandparents.

1959 Ford Popular 100E posters & prints by Unknown

Our parents used to drop us off every weekend at our grandparents house in Hanwell.  On entering there would be two huge piles of comics for my sister and myself.

Beano

Dandy

Hornet

Hotspur

Topper

Valient.

That kept us quiet for an hour or so.  Around supper time grandad would sit in his chair watching the football results and filling in his Littlewoods pools ticket.

Never forget the tone of the announcer. Chelsea 3 ( rising three )  Arsenal 0  ( faling nil tone ) Sometimes would go with him to Stamford bridge . Always took my wooden rattle and he would buy me a rosette. He would occasionaly shout ' Come on the blues '  and I would stare up at him like he had gone mad.

image.jpeg.d6510da5b7b6f5c73fdac780dc372ea4.jpegT16. SOCCER FOOTBALL ROSETTE - CHELSEA | eBay

For Christmas I finally got the toy of my dreams and set about shooting up the place 

Johnny Seven OMA - Wikipedia

I remember my nan, who had been in service giving us the food of the toffs....kedgeree

Classic kedgeree

Then there was her fabulous bangers and mash with onions and gravy. Hmmmmmmmm

Poor England. Different world today.

Best thing of all was that everywhere I went I was always surrounded by love. Happy childhood.

Edited by Denim

6 minutes ago, Denim said:

Going to holiday camps in one of these with my sister and grandparents.

1959 Ford Popular 100E posters & prints by Unknown

Our parents used to drop us off every weekend at our grandparents house in Hanwell.  On entering there would be two huge piles of comics for my sister and myself.

Beano

Dandy

Hornet

Hotspur

Topper

Valient.

That kept us quiet for an hour or so.  Around supper time grandad would sit in his chair watching the football results and filling in his Littlewoods pools ticket.

Never forget the tone of the announcer. Chelsea 3 ( rising three )  Arsenal 0  ( faling nil tone ) Sometimes would go with him to Stamford bridge . Always took my wooden rattle and he would buy me a rosette. He would occasionaly shout ' Come on the blues '  and I would stare up at him like he had gone mad.

image.jpeg.d6510da5b7b6f5c73fdac780dc372ea4.jpegT16. SOCCER FOOTBALL ROSETTE - CHELSEA | eBay

For Christmas I finally got the toy of my dreams and set about shooting up the place 

Johnny Seven OMA - Wikipedia

I remember my nan, who had been in service giving us the food of the toffs....kedgeree

Classic kedgeree

Then there was her fabulous bangers and mash with onions and gravy. Hmmmmmmmm

Poor England. Different world today.

Best thing of all was that everywhere I went I was always surrounded by love. Happy childhood.

100E Prefect.  My 1st car!  I actually wanted a Hillman Super Minx but my father said it was too big for me! 

I was not happy.  Tried to clean the fuel pump, big mistake. Muck metal fell apart when taking off the top cap.  Should have got the Minx

Family car,  could fit 6 kids in it for when we had to go to church on Sundays. 

As we got older, some were relegated to the boot.  Wouldn't get away with that now. 

Standard Vanguard Phase 2

1954-standard-vanguard-phase-ii-1.jpg.97c9b44aeb44758e569b7c66abb8d8c1.jpg

The odd smell of nuns robes in catholic school as they paddled me for spending my lunch quarter on baseball cards🤣

Boy Scouts & the weekend camping

Schwinn Sting Rays

Making a canoe out of scraps when we were 9 & using it in a giant reservoir later sinking it near shore so none could find it & retrieving it every time we ( a bunch of kids) rode our bikes there

The Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show & my dad saying look at that hair!

Music from that time onward

Ham Radios & using Morse code to talk to folks all over the world & exchanging QSL Cards

My first paper Route & the $$$ I made

Mini Bikes with lawnmower engines then

My first MX Race Bike a Yamaha 125 later a Honda Elsinore when they built their first two stroke MX bike & how ahead of its time that bike was.

So many things thanks for a cool thread

😉

Edited by mania