Two Estonians fined for smoking on Finnair flight into Bangkok

webfact

17 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The world is going crazy, what type of person does that. 

What type of person? Well, lets see.....according to outraged netizens, this type of person

"First time for the caveman on the plane."

Let's see... I am a nicotine addict and chain smoke... I am going to be on a plane for x hours... what is the penalty for breaking the law if I smoke on the plane... 20,000 baht (apx 500 euro)... I'm ok with that so I go ahead and smoke... better than jonesing right.  And you think that only Thais are corrupt... this is what happens throughout the world when the deterrent (punishment) is not severe enough to deter this kind of behavior.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Two Estonian siblings were arrested and fined at Suvarnabhumi International Airport today after they were found smoking on a flight, despite cabin crew telling them that it is illegal.

Meanwhile, Thai police are trying to locate a woman who was caught on camera vaping during a flight from Mae Fah Luang airport.

People have gone mad.... 

• Haha 2

I've a definite feeling these two Estonian siblings do qualify as 'good in bad out' types. How the officials at the airport couldn't figure out these two are outers is beyond me.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I've a definite feeling these two Estonian siblings do qualify as 'good in bad out' types. How the officials at the airport couldn't figure out these two are outers is beyond me.

So, that would mean they qualify as anyone?

• Confused 2

Not that I agree with smoking on a plane but from what I have read the reason they banned it apparently had nothing to do with safety or second hand smoke, it was to save the fuel used to create 'fresh air' / extraction of 'bad air' i.e. recycling air.  just saying 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Finnair is bad at everything.  They charge exorbitant prices for on-board alcohol; there are insufficient overhead lockers; now they fail FIVE times to stop two selfish <deleted> from smoking.

18 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not that I agree with smoking on a plane but from what I have read the reason they banned it apparently had nothing to do with safety or second hand smoke, it was to save the fuel used to create 'fresh air' / extraction of 'bad air' i.e. recycling air.  just saying 

Air scrubbers on passenger airplanes are designed for high-volume movement of air through its various filters.  Air filters do not know what they are filtering so it wouldn't cost more if it was smoke or viruses.

Just now, Iron Tongue said:

Air scrubbers on passenger airplanes are designed for high-volume movement of air through its various filters.  Air filters do not know what they are filtering so it wouldn't cost more if it was smoke or viruses.

Ok then Steven Fry on his IQ program was lying. 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Finnair is bad at everything.  They charge exorbitant prices for on-board alcohol; there are insufficient overhead lockers; now they fail FIVE times to stop two selfish <deleted> from smoking.

And how did the guys get the lighters through security before boarding. They are banned.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

And how did the guys get the lighters through security before boarding. They are banned.

Some lighters are banned, not all. 

The Bic branded lighters are allowed, heavier plastic and safer apparently.  My partner was authorised to bring in carry on luggage from NZ.... wasn't a problem. 

There are international laws about smoking on a plane, and vaping should face the same fines and jail time,

in my opinion. How these brothers got a lesser fine and not jail time so far is less than what they should have

gotten for smoking on an international flight.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The world is going crazy, what type of person does that. 

Addicted people.  (I tried to get my brother to come see me from USA. He admitted that he could go that long without a fag). So sad, but I understood. Addiction's a demanding bitch.

6 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I don't think they're banned. I've never had a lighter taken from me at security, apart from once going to the PI.

Oh and another time when they saw I had two lighters in my bag, they confiscated one of them. 

• Thumbs Up 1