Pattaya to Bangkok on 160 cc

Just to add to my last... You wouldn't want to risk your life on that motorway.  Drivers of pickups, cars and trucks are crazy on that road. 

Most wouldn't see you and that's not good for your health.  Even on a large bike, I'd be very hesitant to ride it (Not that you can anyway) To me it's that dangerous. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Yes.

I’ve done further than that on a 110cc whilst intoxicated. 

bob.

Bob?  Scooters and motorbikes aren't allowed on the motorway. 

There is even signage stating such. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Bob?  Scooters and motorbikes aren't allowed on the motorway. 

There is even signage stating such. 

I didn’t go on the motorway and I didn’t drive to Pattaya.

I said ‘further than that’.

There are normal roads that scooters can drive on all over Thailand.

bob.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I didn’t go on the motorway and I didn’t drive to Pattaya.

I said ‘further than that’.

There are normal roads that scooters can drive on all over Thailand.

bob.

Yes there are other roads that can be used Bob,  but in the OP it was asked if he can use his 160cc bike on the motorway from Pattaya to Bangkok. 

Your initial reply was 'Yes' 

That I now believe is partially true. However no motorcycle (Either scooter or larger) can enter the toll way system... which is part of motorway 7.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Yes there are other roads that can be used Bob,  but in the OP it was asked if he can use his 160cc bike on the motorway from Pattaya to Bangkok. 

Your initial reply was 'Yes' 

That I now believe is partially true. However no motorcycle (Either scooter or larger) can enter the toll way system... which is part of motorway 7.

I apologize.

I misread the question and I am still drunk from last night.

bob.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I apologize.

bob.

Great to hear that you are still drunk, keep up the good work mate. 👍

If you behave yourself, I'll talk with the other Aussies, I reckon we'll make you an honorary member. The drunken Aussie club. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I apologize.

bob.

No worries Bob, 

Don't go riding your bike mate... too many cops about!  

Just now, Korat Kiwi said:

No worries Bob, 

Don't go riding your bike mate... too many cops about!  

I know.

the smell of bacon is stinging the nostrils.

bob.

• Haha 1

If you mean to ask is it ok to drive Pattaya to Bangkok on motorway 7 with a 160cc motorbike, that's a No.  Small bikes are not allowed on #7.

You can however use motorway 3, I've know people that drive their motorbike from Pattaya to places 5 hours north. 

4 hours ago, bbko said:

If you mean to ask is it ok to drive Pattaya to Bangkok on motorway 7 with a 160cc motorbike, that's a No.  Small bikes are not allowed on #7.

You can however use motorway 3, I've know people that drive their motorbike from Pattaya to places 5 hours north. 

3 Is not a motorway. I am not sure if m/cs are allowed on tollway sections of non-motorways?

I rode to Bangkok on my ADV 160 a couple of months ago. I set my nav to "motorcycle" and "no tolls". Going up was a bit dicey the first hour or so as I was nervous, lot's of speeding cars/trucks, and at times I was the only bike so I thought I was on the wrong road.  Coming back was a lot easier/faster. Fun factor was very high. 

• Thumbs Up 2

A 160 cc bike will do 100 km/hr, but is more comfortable at 80 km/hr. Motorway/Tollway traffic tends to be 100 - 120 km/hr and you would be stuck over in the shoulder and left lane along with the trucks and slow traffic. Setting aside the legalities, you'd be better off taking the slower Sukhumvit Road where you can keep pace with the traffic and stop for a break whenever you want.

It's like asking: Can you walk from Pattaya to Bangkok?

Yes, you can. But it is not recommended.

About that little bike: You will have crazy cars and small and big trucks around you. Possibly you will survive it. But I wouldn't bet on it.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's like asking: Can you walk from Pattaya to Bangkok?

Yes, you can. But it is not recommended.

About that little bike: You will have crazy cars and small and big trucks around you. Possibly you will survive it. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Didn't you do write on here of doing that journey on a KTM Duke a few years ago ??

If I recall correctly, you wrote of how terrifying it was on the Bang Na-Trad road with the lorries and nutty delivery riders etc... 

The distance is no problem. I've done that and more on my Earox 155cc quite a few times. But I don't know the roads down that way, however I see you've have plenty of local advice regarding the routes.

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Didn't you do write on here of doing that journey on a KTM Duke a few years ago ??

If I recall correctly, you wrote of how terrifying it was on the Bang Na-Trad road with the lorries and nutty delivery riders etc... 

It's several years ago since I made that trip.

I know I made it once on my VFR400, and I didn't like it because of all the trucks.

I sold the VFR and a few years later I bought a Duke 390. I don't think I ever made that trip with that bike.

If anybody would suggest now to make that trip with any bike, I wouldn't want to do it. But if I would do it, then with a bike which can at least accelerate to 140 or something like that.

Maybe the road is better now. I have no idea.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:
18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's several years ago since I made that trip.

I know I made it once on my VFR400, and I didn't like it because of all the trucks.

I sold the VFR and a few years later I bought a Duke 390. I don't think I ever made that trip with that bike.

If anybody would suggest now to make that trip with any bike, I wouldn't want to do it. But if I would do it, then with a bike which can at least accelerate to 140 or something like that.

Maybe the road is better now. I have no idea.

Yeah... I recall it was a 400cc something....    and recall you also have (had ?) a Duke... 

It was good info at the time - put me off doing a similar trip... 

Getting out of Bangkok is a PITA on a Bike....  not something I've ever had interest in doing to uch a point I ended up downgrading to a scooter that I know I'll never bother exiting the city on. 

I drive all over Bangkok....  and obviously have driven out of Bangkok (in each direction)... but thats mostly on Expressways and made much simpler (and safer) being elevated and out of the way of all the BS going on on the main roads. 

I've ridden Bang Na-Trat to a mates house.....  I really didn't like it, I had to wave a couple of cars to back off... they were so close behind me as if they thought I was blocking their progress, although I was following another car in front of me....   (and the traffic at the time was too variable and erratic to start lane splitting).

• Like 1

Take Sukhumvit  #3. At Chon Buri you will see signage to Bang Na, you will know you are on the right road with white mini van using at some point you will also see hwy overpass above leading to Bangkok. 

This is your best option use this a number of times when I use to cycle

to Bangkok.

15 hours ago, Mika78 said:

Is it possible to reach Bangkok from Pattaya using the motorway with a 160 cc motorbike? Thank you.

Yes I have done it when I had a Honda PCX, not so much the motorway, just head for Chonburi and go the coast road, go through Samat Prakan then stay on Sukhumvit Road all the way to Bangkok. Also done it a few times on my Forza both ways.