China Eastern to Shanghai

Planning trip to Shanghai in April but TG all full. Airasia flight times inconvenient. Next direct option is China Eastern or via Taipei with my favourite airline Eva. Anyone care to share their experience with China Eastern.  I understand BKK-Pudong is operated by Shanghai Airways.

I flew China Eastern to/from Shanghai several times, but that was pre-COVID. They used A320 which has a different feeling to a wide body jet, but seat spacing was OK, service was good, plane looked new, food was decent, flight was on time. I can't complain over them. At that time it was certainly China Eastern plane, not Shanghai Airlines (which I've never flown with), but things might have changed since 2019 when I was last using them.

TG was more comfy flight, though. Again, that was before they went bankrupt. Their service had a significant downgrade since, but still better than some European carriers had at their best times...

• Like 1

China Eastern also fly out of NZ.  We were supposed to fly with them when returning to Thailand but Air NZ cocked up a joining flight so used Singapore Airways. 

From all accounts China Eastern are quite good.  Reviews have been positive and people I know that have flown with them were impressed. 

Ain't no Emirates but for Economy class it's good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pj123 said:

Planning trip to Shanghai in April but TG all full. Airasia flight times inconvenient. Next direct option is China Eastern or via Taipei with my favourite airline Eva. Anyone care to share their experience with China Eastern.  I understand BKK-Pudong is operated by Shanghai Airways.

I did this trip report on China Eastern last month Bangkok London......I also was on Shanghai airways for the connection

Take particular note over the power packs issue if you do fly CE

Possible we had over officious guys on hand luggage scanners that night but I didnt get that impression

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

Take particular note over the power packs issue if you do fly CE

Possible we had over officious guys on hand luggage scanners that night but I didnt get that impression

Noted. And the rule about online check in not available for agency bookings.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I flew China Eastern to/from Shanghai several times, but that was pre-COVID. They used A320 which has a different feeling to a wide body jet, but seat spacing was OK, service was good, plane looked new, food was decent, flight was on time. I can't complain over them. At that time it was certainly China Eastern plane, not Shanghai Airlines (which I've never flown with), but things might have changed since 2019 when I was last using them.

TG was more comfy flight, though. Again, that was before they went bankrupt. Their service had a significant downgrade since, but still better than some European carriers had at their best times...

5 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Thank you.