Ripping up Beach Road Walkway After the New Tiles are Laid

Banana7

How would the officials and their families survive, not to speak pay their premium cars and houses if they would stop initiating useless construction works? 

The only news is what they use as explanation for each of the new projects. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Why can't department plan, organize, lead and control civil engineering projects so that the city roadways, walkways are not consistently under construction and are fully usable?  Why can't they coordinate all of the utilities  so the job gets done once right, the first time and on-time, on budget and on quality. It just seems like a waste of money to dig twice in a year.

How come we never hear of anyone in City Hall getting fired for incompetence?

Why are you listing they key recruitment criteria for not hiring a person there?

People won't get fired because they don't hire people who would be doing things the way you described. 

It's like you would be asking why Arabians don't write from left to right. It's because Arabic is written from right to left. If they would wrote left to write, they would be told you can not write and consequently fired. Or think it as scooter that turns left when you turn the handle bar right and vice versa. You need to learnt to ride based on the mechanics of the system you are using to get where you are going. 

Edited by mran66
  • Love It 1

14 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Says someone who probably has not been putting up with that endless sh*t show

I walk the entire beach road and back for exercise every morning I'm in Pattaya (8-9 months a year)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Gotta admire the forward thinking.  Laying down flagstone instead of a concrete slab, knowing that future improvements will require burying new cables and perhaps new water lines.  Instead of tearing up the whole sidewalk, they lift a row of tiles.  Zero materials lost, just labor.  Jobs for the locals.  And if there's subsidence (inevitable after heavy rains) , they can re-level a few tiles instead of tearing up the entire sidewalk.

Looks like a nuthin' burger.  Unless you like to Thai bash.  Rich fodder for that.  To be clear, the authorities make a lot of mistakes (cutting the trees).  Save the bashing for those.  This isn't one of them.

Edited by impulse
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Where are the accessible toilets that were promised a few years back?  Oh, I forgot just walk into the ocean, pull down your shorts and take a big dump.

What too much effort to go across the road to the many toilets or is 10 baht too expensive for you?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

What too much effort to go across the road to the many toilets or is 10 baht too expensive for you?

That would only work if the city had built pedestrian bridges for the only safe Beach Rd crossing- Instead of spending billions of baht from tourist revenue on these endless concrete  contract/kickbacked ,utter waste lands "improvements" 

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I don't gurn, I say it with a straight face, it's a rip-up job. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Beach Road has been ripped up, as bad or worse, than shown above, 3 times in the last 10 years. Your photos show a complete replacement or new construction of the complete walkway, not a rip-up, in my opinion.

In about 3+ years, maybe sooner, there will be some new reason to rip up the street again. After all, the new multiple million baht storm sewers on Beach Road are still inadequate and the street floods multiple times and washes away many parts of the beach, each and every year. So they need to be replaced or redesigned causing replacement of walkways, roadways, perhaps even some utilities.  The huge temporary pumps aren't adequate, are an eye sore and are an after thought to try to compensate for inadequate engineering design.

I don't know anything about what others have stated, the brown envelopes need to keep flowing, to support payments for certain fancy houses, cars, etc. I imagine lots are currently flowing from the Jomtien beach road job, and will continue for 2 or 3 years. They could double-up the take, by finding/making new reasons.

I moved to Pattaya in late 2004.They were working on Beach Rd then and ever since. At that time they were drilling horizontally to bury the cables. These are all "make work" projects IMHO. 

Another example is the meridian cement curb smack down the middle of Thepprasit Rd.Why? 

Jomtien was quite acceptable I thought but now you can expect years of construction along there. It will most likely ruin a few businesses as collateral damage.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Seems like the new beautiful Beach Road walkway is almost finished, but now they have started ripping up the new tiles already and basically wrecking the walkway. No sooner is the sidewalk laid, and they start ripping it up again. Why can't the Pattaya City Engineering department plan, organize, lead and control civil engineering projects so that the city roadways, walkways are not consistently under construction and are fully usable?  Why can't they coordinate all of the utilities  so the job gets done once right, the first time and on-time, on budget and on quality. It just seems like a waste of money to dig twice in a year. Are they doing this on purpose just to make the project bigger, and more costly?

How come we never hear of anyone in City Hall getting fired for incompetence?

Here are 2 photos of digging and there are other locations too.

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_5387.JPG

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

ADBRO is the full service ad network for high impact contextual advertising with direct access to the exclusive in-image inventories across major local publishers.

We provide free creative adaptation into rich media, interactive and playable ads formats. Campaigns in our channel are delivered under guaranteed prices for actions with programmatic & managed delivery. We provide contextually segmented in-target audiences for over 60 industries with a full range of brand safety solutions.

ADBRO operates across SE Asia, including Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.

To test our channel for your advertising campaigns or consider partnership programs for publishers, please contact us at www.adbro.me

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

ADBRO is the full service ad network for high impact contextual advertising with direct access to the exclusive in-image inventories across major local publishers.

We provide free creative adaptation into rich media, interactive and playable ads formats. Campaigns in our channel are delivered under guaranteed prices for actions with programmatic & managed delivery. We provide contextually segmented in-target audiences for over 60 industries with a full range of brand safety solutions.

ADBRO operates across SE Asia, including Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.

To test our channel for your advertising campaigns or consider partnership programs for publishers, please contact us at www.adbro.me

Thais can't plan anything. For planning needs a brain.

Honestly, it is only Pattaya where I see this nonsense year in year out, useless construction, gaping holes, uneven sidewalks, untraversable roads, I don't think there is a more corrupt local government than in this "family resort" area with more hookers per square km than in all of Thailand.  Frustrated and fed up!!!

• Agree 1

We see it all the time..it's all done on purpose to keep the flow going. Wash rinse repeat. ..the locals here are experts... need to dig 3 holes ..  dig #1.  Guess where hole #2 needs to be? you guessed it right under the pile of dirt from #1.  So they have to move it to dig #2. .guess where #3 goes..right under the pile from #2.. so it needs to be moved again..  then they call in a relative to move/ take away the extra pile..and then come for a clean up so 2 extra days and extra workers..."you're Fired!"

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2024 at 9:59 PM, vangrop said:

It all has to do with corruption. The builder who gave the biggest brown enveloppe got the job. But in order to maintain profitability the builder has to save on quality. In the meantime the responsibles from city hall don't care about t the rest of the operations as long as they got heir envelopes.

One has to assume you would have the same answer for every other country, not being a bigot or anything.

23 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Lay a new path, THEN put the infrastructure/groundwork in. 

Fairly common policy in many countries, repair the roads and then the drains, subject to repairs even being considered. Don't start the work in the first place, problem resolved

When it comes to dysfunctional government departments, Thailand has been taking lessons from a world leader.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1