Minivan passengers pass out from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

webfact

7 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Why does it need to be reported?  You can simply use your brain.  If the gas was coming from the exhaust, it's very likely that there would be the smell of exhaust fumes, unless the carbon monoxide was somehow being filtered out into the vehicle.  🤷‍♂️

Possibly, but normally  I guess not

A properly tuned fuel injected "petrol" engines emissions should not have much of an exhaust smell.

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Nope. Smell exhaust in the cabin get out

I got out once from a van when the driver kept microasleeping at the wheel too

CO is a by product of combustion. Not from incomplete combustion or gasoline fumes

And I never said the victims smelled exhaust BTW

I simply posted that if I smelled exhaust I would ask to get out.

But that would probably more than an annoyance than indication real threat.

CO is bad stuff and definitely odorless itself

Surprised if some cars don't have CO detectors now like required in homes they are cheap

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where was it reported that the van was filled with the smell of exhaust fumes?

The fumes containing carbon monoxide  cold only come with exhaust gases  and therefore there would be a smell.

But carbon monoxide  also numbs self awareness quite quickly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They (nor you in that situation) would have any reason to complain, they would not be aware of the odourless cause of their sleepiness nor would they be aware of the risk of death.

The passengers were probably sheepishly wearing their masks, therefore unable to smell anything but their bad breath. 

Thais never complain, it's part of the culture to let authority or those in power do whatever they want to you. 

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

The passengers were probably sheepishly wearing their masks, therefore unable to smell anything but their bad breath. 

"...wearing their masks, therefore unable to smell anything but their bad breath".

Not everyone is the same as you.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rexpotter said:

These people will endure without complaining about anything to an absurd degree.

Which is why Thailand is like it is on many fronts.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Thanks, plus the obvious exhaust smell. These people will endure without complaining about anything to an absurd degree.

These vans are likely running LPG, you won't smell the exhaust like diesel 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, transam said:

How many times have I been in a car here where the A/C blower is set to constant  recirculating, if this van did, there is the problem, gas leak in, no fresh air........:coffee1:...

Lucky the driver didn't pass out...His phone use probably kept him awake.....🙄

Transam yu=ou are winning the funny award today....keep going

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

How does the old joke go?

How do you know which of the people at the cocktail party is a pilot?

Don't worry, he will tell you within 5 minutes of you arriving!

Are you jealous? I've been on this forum for 20 years when it was Thai visa, never mentioned it. Thought I would share something useful, but apparently making nasty childish comments seem to be enjoyed here more than that. Often seems on this forum like I am in some grade school playground with kids fighting until the teacher comes out and breaks it up.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Back in my youthful days I had taken a bus from the northern bus terminal up to Authhya to meet up with some Thai people i worked with at the time. On the way back, the air con in the ceiling started grinding and smoking until it got so bad I went up and told the driver to let me out. He then closed the door, full of smoke and continued with his passengers.A trail of smoke behind the bus

Arrived once at a restaurant.  Outside some uncle was spraying at an exhaust vent with a weak garden hose

Thai GF was completely unfazed and wanted to sit down in the smoke filled dining room.  "Don't worry no problem" No way.  10 minutes later the whole roof was ablaze place was closed for months.

They really are an indefatigable people.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 0ffshore360 said:

The fumes containing carbon monoxide  cold only come with exhaust gases  and therefore there would be a smell.

But carbon monoxide  also numbs self awareness quite quickly.

In this case it could be carbon dioxide if, as I said before, the ride was on recirculating A/C air.

Ride full of people breathing in air and exhaling a percentage of carbon dioxide, to much CO2, you go to sleep.......

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media_file/2020-08/Carbon-Dioxide.pdf

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

CO has no smell and there was no suggestion that the smell of exhaust fumes was detected in the van.  Once the CO had started to take effect on those passengers, they would be less and less likely to be in a position to make the rational  decision to get out, neither would they likely be physically able to get out as unconsciousness took over.

Nothing mentioned whether the driver was affected.

1 hour ago, transam said:

In this case it could be carbon dioxide if, as I said before, the ride was on recirculating A/C air.

Ride full of people breathing in air and exhaling a percentage of carbon dioxide, to much CO2, you go to sleep.......

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media_file/2020-08/Carbon-Dioxide.pdf

Carbon dioxide is non toxic  and there would have to be a very large percentage to have that much effect.

Firewall leaks permitting exhaust insidious monoxide have been linked to many fatalities including small aircraft cabins.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

Yes, good and interesting point.

CO poisoning occurs when CO builds up in your bloodstream. Your body replaces the oxygen in your red blood cells with CO. leading to serious tissue damage. CO is slightly lighter than air and diffuses evenly throughout. Symptoms of CO poisoning include, headaches dizziness, feeling sick or being sick, feeling weak, confusion, chest and muscle pain, shortness of breath.

CO2 effects occur when the lungs cannot take in enough oxygen, as CO2 has displaced the oxygen. CO2 is heavier than air so will settle in the lower parts first. High levels of CO2 diminish cognitive abilities, reduce response times, and impair the ability for an individual to make strategic decisions

Both are colourless, tasteless and odourless gases.

From the limited details in the report, it sets to suggest CO, given the passenger’s symptoms.

https://www.co2meter.com/en-th/blogs/news/23987521-high-co2-levels-in-your-car

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

The article does not say they smelled anything, which is possible. So a critique of our response could be that this is just a Thai bashing post. If, we assume the passengers smelled exhaust and either lack basic CO toxicity knowledge or are stereotypically passive to a point where they will not protest being poisoned and suffocated.

Not being derogatory to yourself, but come on man the vast majority of Thai people are completely unaware of any dangers or outcomes .. It's Buddha's way. Keep em stupid and uneducated, they behave and believe the masters simple. It's us pesky educated farangs that's cause these proplems. Safety first my arse as an ex commercial pilot did you ever fly for a Thai owned airline.. .money comes first people's lives 2nd. Happens all over the world at least here we know the score. In western countries same happens apart from its behind closed doors and more 0000 involved Boeing door bolts ect ect

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...wearing their masks, therefore unable to smell anything but their bad breath".

Not everyone is the same as you.

I never wear masks. Never even wore one during Covid. A lot of Thais however still wear them.

My breath is also good, unlike those people such as yourself, who still wear a mask.

Edited by Highlandman
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, dirtybirty said:

Not being derogatory to yourself, but come on man the vast majority of Thai people are completely unaware of any dangers or outcomes .. It's Buddha's way. Keep em stupid and uneducated, they behave and believe the masters simple. It's us pesky educated farangs that's cause these proplems. Safety first my arse as an ex commercial pilot did you ever fly for a Thai owned airline.. .money comes first people's lives 2nd. Happens all over the world at least here we know the score. In western countries same happens apart from its behind closed doors and more 0000 involved Boeing door bolts ect ect

What's wrong with Thai owned airlines? They seem as safe as any European airline at the moment and possibly safer than American ones, given the spate of recent incidents.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Nope. Smell exhaust in the cabin get out

I got out once from a van when the driver kept microasleeping at the wheel too

Carbon monoxide gas is colourless and does not smell, so you cannot tell if it is around you.

Another thing is that te van was probably a diesel - diesel engines produce much less Co than a gasolene engine

Also, it does not take any special brains or talent to fly an aircraft, most anyone can do it. But we do learn other things along with it. I am quite sure 95% of the posters on here could do it just fine.

When I got my first airline interview way back when, the Chief Pilot told me after offering a me a job. 'Don't give me any <deleted>, I can teach a monkey to do your job! He was right. Look who is flying aircraft around these days.

These days its way easier as we had all those not so accurate steam gauges as they are called now. Aircraft now are hardly any different than driving a computer with wings.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1