Unable to see 5ghz wifi on Redmi Note 9

I use my note 9 as a kinda TV box, and cast to TV. I just got 3BB fibre installed so wanted to connect to 5ghz rather than 2.4ghz, but it wouldn't show it. Tried many things per youtube in the end the setting that solved it was to change region to India of all places. Anyone find an alternate way to fix it? or has Xiaomi tried to block it using Thailand as a region?

5 minutes ago, marin said:

Is the Note 9 5g compatible? My Note 13 connects easily and shows both 2.4 and 5g. Good luck, I got conflicting answers googling. 

It's not 5G but i don't think that's the same as wifi 5ghz. I have the Note 12 5G and that sees both 2.4 and 5ghz.

I'm currently getting speeds of 200+ on 5ghz Note 12 5G and 150+ on 5ghz Note 9

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just got 3BB fibre installed so wanted to connect to 5ghz rather than 2.4ghz

The WLAN might have the same SSID (name of the WLAN network), or it can be a different name and also a different password.

It is a question of how it is configured by whoever installed that box.

If you have the knowledge and the username/password, then look at the "router" settings.

I have a Redmi Note 10 and recently changed my SIM Router to one that has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels.  The Note 10 often doesn't "see" the 5GHz channel for a minute or two when enabling Wifi, but if I keep refreshing the list it eventually appears and connects without issue.  I know the 5GHz channel is working as I can be using it on my laptop at the same time as the mobile can't see it.

Not exactly the same issue as the OP but backs up the notion that something is amiss with Note mobiles and 5GHz connections.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The WLAN might have the same SSID (name of the WLAN network), or it can be a different name and also a different password.

It is a question of how it is configured by whoever installed that box.

If you have the knowledge and the username/password, then look at the "router" settings.

The installer changed the name so it is definitely there plus i can see it as my Note 12 can see both 2.4 and 5

8 hours ago, treetops said:

I have a Redmi Note 10 and recently changed my SIM Router to one that has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels.  The Note 10 often doesn't "see" the 5GHz channel for a minute or two when enabling Wifi, but if I keep refreshing the list it eventually appears and connects without issue.  I know the 5GHz channel is working as I can be using it on my laptop at the same time as the mobile can't see it.

Not exactly the same issue as the OP but backs up the notion that something is amiss with Note mobiles and 5GHz connections.

You might find that changing the region to India would fix your delay issue. I also did the "forget network" 2.4 ghz wifi so now it goes straight in to the 5 without delay

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You might find that changing the region to India would fix your delay issue. I also did the "forget network" 2.4 ghz wifi so now it goes straight in to the 5 without delay

Where would I find this country setting?

I also "forgot" the 2.4GHz network so it doesn't latch on to it every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Where would I find this country setting?

I also "forgot" the 2.4GHz network so it doesn't latch on to it every time.

Go into settings and at the top search bar type Region, may get two options, mine is the second one, select India