Russia : Any old-timer anti-war activists out there?

Come on all of you big strong men,
Uncle Sam needs your help again.
He got himself in a terrible jam,
Way down yonder in Vietnam, Ukraine/Russia, Taiwan/China, Israel/Iran/Syria/Iraq/ME/NA, North Korea/South Korea/Japan, <stay tuned we're working on identifying other enemies to for you cannon-fodder conscripts to kill for corporate profits and empire>.
So put down your books and pick up a gun,
We're gonna have a whole lot of fun....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, connda said:

Come on all of you big strong men,
Uncle Sam needs your help again.
He got himself in a terrible jam,
Way down yonder in Vietnam, Ukraine/Russia, Taiwan/China, Israel/Iran/Syria/Iraq/ME/NA, North Korea/South Korea/Japan, <stay tuned we're working on identifying other enemies to for you cannon-fodder conscripts to kill for corporate profits and empire>.
So put down your books and pick up a gun,
We're gonna have a whole lot of fun....

Sing along together!

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

There is a huge resistance movement in Russia too. However, most of them were forced to leave Russia under the threat of persecution. 

Just wait until the EU, UK, and the US being to conscript Gen-Z to fight the wars that the West is promising against Russia, China, Iran, and North Korea as well as those parts of the Global South which are now throwing off their Western colonial yokes of subservience.

Farang kids will be scrambling all over the globe to get away from being press-ganged into military service.

Edited by connda
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah me.

I sung that song once in an audition for a Charlie Brown musical.

I played Charlie Brown.

Too bad Russians feel too afraid to take to the streets like us old hippies did to protest their government's genocidal war of choice on Ukraine.

Back in the days of Stalin if you protested anything the government did you were either executed or locked up in a gulag for a decade or two. It's not much different now that Russia is enduring Putinism. This desperate zealot is terrorizing his own people. 

• Sad 2
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Back in the days of Stalin if you protested anything the government did you were either executed or locked up in a gulag for a decade or two. It's not much different now that Russia is enduring Putinism. This desperate zealot is terrorizing his own people. 

I agree.

54 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

There is a huge resistance movement in Russia too. However, most of them were forced to leave Russia under the threat of persecution. 

Not exactly.

Most of the fleeing Russians would be OK with Putin meeting his goals.

They just don't want to be in the meat grinder. 

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not exactly.

Most of the fleeing Russians would be OK with Putin meeting his goals.

They just don't want to be in the meat grinder. 

There are a lot of Russian musicians, artists and other media figures who are openly against the war. But of course they had to give up the ability to live and work in Russia.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

There are a lot of Russian musicians, artists and other media figures who are openly against the war. But of course they had to give up the ability to live and work in Russia.

Yes a lot.

But based on what I have gleaned most who have fled are either apolitical or even admirers of Putin. They understandably just want to save their own sweet Russkie butts. 

Most want the war over sure but would be happier to see Russia win it.

When meeting random Russians don't assume that you know their politics.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes a lot.

But based on what I have gleaned most who have fled are either apolitical or even admirers of Putin. They understandably just want to save their own sweet Russkie butts. 

Most want the war over sure but would be happier to see Russia win it.

When meeting random Russians don't assume that you know their politics.

Good point. I would add don't assume that you know anything about their nature. They come from such convoluted history and such a bizarre environment, that there is a good reason why they're making such incredibly minor contributions to humanity over the past few decades. 

Russians are not exactly the best of what the world has to offer right now. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I teach (online) a number of different Russian, Ukrainian and Belarus young students, whose families have fled their respective countries because of the war.  Some live now in the UK and various mainland countries, and their families have no intention of returning back to their home country.

I've always been anti War, as don't consider any since WW II that were justified for USA to be involved.

I graduated in 1973, and Nam was starting to wind down.  My small hometown lost 4 to that silliness.

image.png.ea499bc32719eae231d632a1755cad68.png

I got arrested yearly, ages 17-19 for stopping traffic against the war.

The first time I got laid was on the floor of a Quaker church, between the pews. 

She was in for the '71 DC half a million-er and a virgin like myself.

I have stories.

My Dad tried to stop me from going to a demo by tying me to a chair!

I don't remember how I escaped, but I went anyway.

He was worried that he would be fired from his job because of my activities.

One demo I went to had five times more press than demonstrators. So that definitely got me an FBI file. 

A demo that I unfortunately missed where I would have been arrested ended up in a class action suit with people getting paid 10,000 dollars! That was actually money back then. 

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

like us old hippies

That's the reason you're so weird all the time !

Interesting....

A hippie living in Thailand, a country that violates everything he is supposed to stand for  :D

Priceless.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Negativ said:

That's the reason you're so weird all the time !

Interesting....

A hippie living in Thailand, a country that violates everything he is supposed to stand for  😄

Priceless.

Not sure what you mean about Thailand but I'm obviously not a hippie now.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, simon43 said:

I teach (online) a number of different Russian, Ukrainian and Belarus young students, whose families have fled their respective countries because of the war.  Some live now in the UK and various mainland countries, and their families have no intention of returning back to their home country.

Substance for a video?

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I have stories.

My Dad tried to stop me from going to a demo by tying me to a chair!

I don't remember how I escaped, but I went anyway.

He was worried that he would be fired from his job because of my activities.

One demo I went to had five times more press than demonstrators. So that definitely got me an FBI file. 

A demo that I unfortunately missed where I would have been arrested ended up in a class action suit with people getting paid 10,000 dollars! That was actually money back then. 

Great story!

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Good point. I would add don't assume that you know anything about their nature. They come from such convoluted history and such a bizarre environment, that there is a good reason why they're making such incredibly minor contributions to humanity over the past few decades. 

2 minutes ago, eumenades said:

Great story!

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You need a lot of balls to stand up to Putin and it is too dangerous to do it in Russia. But there are many tuning in to alternative media. And now, even the mothers are asking Putin, "What the hell do you want my boy for?" A snowball effect? Here's hoping. "Don't speak too soon while the wheels' still in spin."

• Thumbs Up 1