Island Real Estate Investment

Hello,

Just hoping for some opinions on real-estate investment around the Islands. I'm starting to search around for a decent plot of land on or near the beach (about 2 rai) and was hoping for some opinions on the current market. I've found Koh Phangan and Koh Chang to be reasonable but would appreciate any other thoughts. I am sure there is still some good islands/areas that are available. It would just be nice to have a short list that I can run around the country with and check out what is available.

Also, I do have a Thai wife and know about the rules/regulations involved with buying land in Thailand - just fishing for some opinions about location/market. I appreciate any thoughts.Thanks!

Depends on if you are doing this to live yourself or doing this for a return on your money..

If for yourself you need to find somewhere to make you happy and thats it.. For a return on your money you need to consider where the highest resale is.

Here on Phuket land prices are reaching insane (IMHO) prices.. However villas built on that land are going for also insane prices.. Lots of properties topping the 40 mil baht range heading to 60 and more.. So higher cost of entry but much higher return on your capital.

One of my friends put in 7 mil and is looking at 18 back.. Thats in a 12 - 18 month development cycle !!

Depends on if you are doing this to live yourself or doing this for a return on your money..

If for yourself you need to find somewhere to make you happy and thats it.. For a return on your money you need to consider where the highest resale is.

Here on Phuket land prices are reaching insane (IMHO) prices.. However villas built on that land are going for also insane prices.. Lots of properties topping the 40 mil baht range heading to 60 and more.. So higher cost of entry but much higher return on your capital.

One of my friends put in 7 mil and is looking at 18 back.. Thats in a 12 - 18 month development cycle !!

Bloody ridiculous. Time he looked at exiting I think.

real-estate investment around the Islands

Whatever and wherever you would like to purchase land, just be careful. That means MORE THAN CAREFUL as a matter of fact. I just read an article about a number of Norwegian people who invested in Phuket, and although they had Thai Lawyers to help them, they ended up purchasing "fake" land titles.

Some people in the Land Office disappeared, one or two Thai's got killed in the process, some very influential Thai people involved, Police team from Bangkok investigating.

So. Just be careful.

Hello,

Just hoping for some opinions on real-estate investment around the Islands. I'm starting to search around for a decent plot of land on or near the beach (about 2 rai) and was hoping for some opinions on the current market. I've found Koh Phangan and Koh Chang to be reasonable but would appreciate any other thoughts. I am sure there is still some good islands/areas that are available. It would just be nice to have a short list that I can run around the country with and check out what is available.

Also, I do have a Thai wife and know about the rules/regulations involved with buying land in Thailand - just fishing for some opinions about location/market. I appreciate any thoughts.Thanks!

Try Sunbelt Asia,i am sure there will steer you in the right direction.

Hello,

Sorry forgot to mention that Sunbelt Asia is a forum sponser,so at the very least you know you will not be scammed.

good luck.

Dr PP,

Not sure what you mean.. Often developers down here are looking at 100% returns on high end development.. He just got lucky and has readily found buyers and seems to be getting more than he expected for sale price..

Exiting ?? I truly dont understand what you mean.. He developed them and now he is selling them.. Once sold (and the first 2 buyers are paying him outside of Thailand) how much more 'exited' do you need ??

I saw a small property with pool advertised, it was around 100 sqm 2 bed home with a pool for 7.5 million... A little small for my needs but the area was desirable and I wanted a home with pool.. At the time the pictures were taken it was obvious the home was still under construction etc. By the time I got the agent organised and went to the seller (approx 3 weeks) and were told "No that house is going to be 15 million" when asked why they had doubled the asking price in a couple of months we just got a mumbled 'market value' etc and the agent tried to defend it by saying that perhaps the finishing was done to a higher quality than origionally estimated !!! Yeah 7.5 million bahts worth of finishing !!!

Land on millionaires row has gone from 1 mil per rai to 12 - 15 (if you can get it) in 4 years !!

Ao Po has moved from 1/2 mil per rai to 3 - 4 per rai over 2 to 3 years.. Yamoo is a similar story..

Thanks for responding. I'm not looking for high end property (about 4 million is my budget) but I'm only 29 and don't mind sitting on the property for a while. I am just trying to get some opinions about island property that is reasonably priced now but that will most likely see a good price increase in 10 years. I'm going to Koh Chang next week to look at a few. Any other ideas? I've already "missed the boat" with Samui and Phuket. Thanks.

Thanks Whattodo. We never can guarantee you'll win in any business endeavor but you’ll know we do have utmost integrity in what we do.

This may be of interest Azul_Blanco.... ( can you believe they have a 15 year plus 15 year lease for 6.5 Rai beachfront land at only around $100 per month?)

A twenty five per cent stake in a beachside Bungalow Resort has become available on the Eastern island of Koh Chang, as the owners are planning to upgrade the business, and need help to do so. Set amid swaying palm trees, next to the crashing surf, the bamboo huts give a back to nature feel, yet provide comfortable accommodation; all are well spaced, throughout beautiful landscaped gardens. Each hut features a balcony with sea views, an en suite bathroom, and sleeping space for four or more holidaymakers. A popular bar and restaurant completes the package, and there is 80 meters of pure beachfront. A working partner is being sought, who will aid in the day to day running of the venture. The new partner even has the opportunity to build their own home on site, at a very reasonable rate. The buildings belong to the current owners, and have been valued at 1,275,000 baht. Beachfront land rent is payable for the 6.5 rai on which the business sits at a rate of 4,600 baht per month and there is a long 15 year lease, with a further 15 year option. The rent has even been pre-paid up until May 2007. Assets have been valued at 5,728,500 baht in total, and there is also capital of almost 1,200,000 baht. Audited annual profits of 270,888 baht are being realized, from receipts of 723,302 baht, but the owners feel that, with the reputation they are building up, these figures are sure to improve. Investment for 25% shares of the company is 2 million Baht.

Full executive summary available upon request. [email protected]

"Bloody ridiculous. Time he looked at exiting I think."

I agree Dr. Pat Pong.

The turn down time table should be from 2006 to 2010. It's starting to soften some now in areas.

Note.. though there is some money still to be had...

Hi Sunbelt.I took a quick peek at your website. It looks like what is offered is a rental of property+business. I'm more interested in owning the land fully or owning the land (larger plot) with a partner. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Ok I understand.

Here our listings from our Real Estate Dept that seems to fit the bill. I must apologize as our real esate website is not very good. Our Webmaster has been working on a new website for the last 2 months...hope he gets it finished one of these days!

http://property.th.com/propview.php?view=477

http://property.th.com/propview.php?view=476

http://property.th.com/propview.php?view=475

This one is not near the beach but sounds great :-)

http://property.th.com/propview.php?view=406

Let me know your thoughts.

www.property.th.com