Deputy National Police Chief suspended

webfact

Acting police chief suspends Big Joke over gambling links
by Bob Scott 

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy of Stay in Thailand

The acting national police chief has signed a suspension order for Deputy Chief Surachate “Big Joke” Hakparn and four other subordinates over their alleged involvement with an online gambling network, as per a source close to the matter.

The directive, which was enforced immediately yesterday, April 18, was signed by Pol. Gen. Kitrat Panphet. In addition to Big Joke, the order also targeted Pol. Col. Kittichai Sangkhathaworn, Deputy Police Commander of Songkhla province; Pol. Lt. Col. Krit Pariyaket, Deputy Chief of the Phra Samut Chedi Police Station in Samut Prakan; and traffic patrol policemen Pol. Sgt. Natthawut Wadwaew and Pol. Sgt. Natthanan Chuchak.

The five are believed to be complicit in money-laundering activities tied to the BNK Master gambling network. The order was issued on the back of a disciplinary investigation, and courts have already approved arrest warrants for the suspected individuals, according to the source.

The decision was discussed by Pol. Gen. Kitrat with Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin at the Government House following a Cabinet meeting yesterday morning. The affected individuals hold the right to challenge the order.

On March 20, the prime minister reassigned Big Joke and National Police Chief Torsak Sukvimol to inactive posts, installing Pol. Gen. Kitrat as the acting chief in their stead. The two senior officers, who were at the centre of the controversy, had been embroiled in a public feud over alleged associations with unlawful gambling networks.

On April 2, Big Joke voluntarily presented himself to the police to respond to money-laundering charges levelled against him, mere hours after investigators secured an arrest warrant. He was later granted bail.

A recent revelation from a committee set up by the prime minister to probe the scandal indicated that there were valid grounds for the claim that Big Joke was implicated in money laundering.

Pol. Gen. Kitrat Panphet assumed the role of acting national police chief last month when Prime Minister Srettha reassigned Pol. Gen. Torsak Sukvimol, the previous chief, and Big Joke to inactive posts in the PM’s Office pending a thorough investigation into allegations against both men, reported Bangkok Post.

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-19

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 1

The press are doing their best to convince folk to crucify BJ.

His is the only name in the headline, but there were four others - including his boss and two others of equal rank.

Surely the real headline should be 'The Chief of the Police force is suspended'?

Trial by public opinion?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

The press are doing their best to convince folk to crucify BJ.

His is the only name in the headline, but there were four others - including his boss and two others of equal rank.

Surely the real headline should be 'The Chief of the Police force is suspended'?

Trial by public opinion?

Why, because he's the one that is feared. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

As if more proofs needed to show how tainted and crooked Thai police are, which begs

the question: how the Thai police can now be trusted at to do a fair job in the light of such accusations

of its senior members?

Now be trusted???

Were they ever trusted?

Be interesting to see if these high ranking officers who have been suspended start to sing as I’m sure between them they have over the years collected enough details of corruption to bring others down and I include politicians in this. Just because they call him big joke I’m sure he has enough tact to bring others down and end there careers !

7 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Yes, having the corrupt investigate the corrupt, won't work.

The only teal way is to have a completely independent group, who are above any suspicion to do any investigation, trying to find a group like that in Thailand would be 'almost' impossible!

Ah! You mean like nailing jelly to a tree?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Thank you for assuring the public about "due process", "the law", "self-investigation" and stuff. It sounds so officious and seems to validate all of it. Yet, this statement has been trumpeted so many times by the RTP that the public could probably recite it by rote. Everything the RTP touches is done by the book and everyone in the RTP is corrupt. Go figure...

I remember a song entitled, 'Anything Go's'. Perhaps that's title of the book the RTP uses?

It becomes more apparent by the day that the entire RTP force along with its promotion system is crooked, I reckon he has plenty of dirt on other high ranking officers that are up to what he is accused of and similar so he will keep getting moved around and I bet neither of these tall poppies get jailed and or stripped of their ill gotten gains!

That's Thailand, its their country and their rules like it or leave it!

13 hours ago, webfact said:

He also emphasises that, while he is currently the acting police chief, he has full authority.

They missed out

..... so please redirect the brown envelopes appropriately.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, frankie machine said:

I knew this guy was bent ever since the Koh Tao farce.  Prior to that, I'd had a lot of respect for him.  

I don't think he was involved in the Koh Tao Case !

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Yes, having the corrupt investigate the corrupt, won't work.

The only teal way is to have a completely independent group, who are above any suspicion to do any investigation, trying to find a group like that in Thailand would be 'almost' impossible!

Exactly that's why Jesus wasn't born in Thailand 1 Get finding a virgin of baby producing age and 2 the most impossible 3 wise men lol

I am astonished reading so many comments claiming he is guilty (and a few not).

I ask myself how you can come to those statements. Own dirty business connection? Or simple prejudgment?

Well I agree that his careers ups and downs raises questions including the shooting on his car.

But to me it is unclear if all those things happened because he stepped on sensible feet or if his hands are dirty.

Sadly I am not sure if I will ever hear the truth. But I follow the idea to regard someone is innocent until opposite is proven. Wouldn't you like to be treated that way too if you had (wrong?) accusations?

Edited by bikestorm
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

He also emphasises that, while he is currently the acting police chief, he has full authority.

Of course. But what took him so long? Big Joke should have been suspended when he was charged.

15 hours ago, Jack Hammer said:

The government should check all of his assets and ask him to explain how he acquire such wealth on a policeman’s salary.  I know the stock answer is he comes from a wealthy family. If his family is that wealthy, why is he a policeman? While they are at it also check all other high-ranking officials

legal maffia does wonders

19 hours ago, ezzra said:

As if more proofs needed to show how tainted and crooked Thai police are, which begs

the question: how the Thai police can now be trusted at to do a fair job in the light of such accusations

of its senior members?

"now"?

22 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Be interesting to see if these high ranking officers who have been suspended start to sing as I’m sure between them they have over the years collected enough details of corruption to bring others down and I include politicians in this. Just because they call him big joke I’m sure he has enough tact to bring others down and end there careers !

And for this reason it will fizzle out and the game will continue.