Ubc

nonthaburial

as all UBC users know, there are a number of different priced packages available, and right now there is a lot of discussion going on about the EPL and how it will pan out considering the Platinum package is showing more games than the gold package.

Now I wonder if, by removing the sim card (or whatever its called) from a decoder of a user who is paying for the platinum package, and placing into the decoder of a gold package user, whether or not the decoder would accept the sim card and show the platinum channels.

If this should not work, how about swapping around the complete decoder box and not just the sim card.

As I said, just a thought but I wonder if !!!! :o

Assuming you have UBC on satellite (not cable) you can happily move the entire box with its card to a new location and it will work.

As to moving cards between decoders, I don't know. But there is a good possibility that the card is paired with a particular decoder (IIRC Sky is/was like this in the UK) so putting a different card in your receiver may not work, if UBC are being nasty it may also disable the card or the reciever or both :o

I'm not sure of UBC pairing their smartcards with their userboxes. They were talking about it, mainly to stop the card sharing going on (where you can use more then one decoder box with only one card).

However I don't think they got around doing this, because as of now you are still free to buy a box yourself and save the 152 Baht/month renting their box!

What package you can watch depends on your subscription, which is coded into your smartcard. This means if you pay for Platinum, you'll get Platinum regardless of the decoder box you are using.

Indeed the whole system is portable, you can for example install a second decoderbox/dish in your weekend house, and just take along your smartcard when you go there. This basically is not illegal as long as 1 smartcard never opens channels on more then 1 TV set simultaniously!

There might be something in UBC's small print, but they would have no way of knowing where your smartcard is. Satellite TV is purely mono directional, i.e. there is no way for your smartcard or decoderbox to report back to UBC...

Lets expand on this a little. I have a friend who inherited UBC's cheapest package when she moved houses, for 300 a month she gets all Thai terrestial channels plus a few others. not worth the money. my thoughts are if I visit her and take my smart card which is platinum package, would I be able to receive the platinum package through my smart card in her decoder box.( god this reads very erotic)

Failing that, then, from answers given, the way would be to take my decoder box and card to her house and swap them around

You're completely correct!

Most probably the card alone will work! Failing that, moving your box over will work 100% sure!

It definately works as I borrowed my friends pre paid platinum card whilst he was away in the USA. Popped it into my decoder and all the channels where available so i suspended my gold account for a couple of months. When the pre pay contract came to its end, I simply asked them to reconnect my signal on my old card and carried on paying for the gold package............ no problems

well no problems other than the program content is dire on the gold package, especially the movie channels and the price is exhorbitant too. With UBC you get neither quality or quantity, with UTorrent, you get both and you can choose your own programming schedules...........

JAF

The card will definitely work as long as your satellite receiver/decoder supports IRDETO encrytion/decrytion service which is used in Thailand by UBC. I just had a friend of mine bring me the new HUMAX iCORD satellite receiver with built-in 160GB hard drive and it works fine, can record up to 4 channels simultaneously, has time shifting capability, basically the works.

Pattaya David

You're completely correct!

Most probably the card alone will work! Failing that, moving your box over will work 100% sure!

It definately works as I borrowed my friends pre paid platinum card whilst he was away in the USA. Popped it into my decoder and all the channels where available so i suspended my gold account for a couple of months. When the pre pay contract came to its end, I simply asked them to reconnect my signal on my old card and carried on paying for the gold package............ no problems

well no problems other than the program content is dire on the gold package, especially the movie channels and the price is exhorbitant too. With UBC you get neither quality or quantity, with UTorrent, you get both and you can choose your own programming schedules...........

JAF

What is UTorrent?  I've never heard of it, but if it is better than UBC Platinum then I would certainly be interested.  What kind of programming is available?  Do they have their own website for viewing?

I just goggled UTorrent, I don't get it, what does it have to do with satellite TV?

Pattaya David

Edited by PattayaDavid

Maybe he meant you can download practically any program you want - movies or TV shows. Not so much sports, though.

Downloaded movies are far better quality than UBC crap. In fact latest zoom zoom camera jobs are excellent by UBC standards. Spiderman was near perfect, as so was Die Hard and Transformers and Shrek3 etc etc.

Maybe he meant you can download practically any program you want - movies or TV shows. Not so much sports, though.

Downloaded movies are far better quality than UBC crap. In fact latest zoom zoom camera jobs are excellent by UBC standards. Spiderman was near perfect, as so was Die Hard and Transformers and Shrek3 etc etc.

all of those movies are cams and telesyncs. perfect you say?

Comparing to UBC - yes. You won't tell the difference if there was no HBO logo.

Some are still crap, like Harry Potter 5, some are passable, like Ratatoille, but the ones I mentioned were near perfect. If you are used to watching HBO, switch to cams will be unnoticeable, and we are not even talking about proper DVD rips and screeners like Sicko.

Some are still crap, like Harry Potter 5, some are passable, like Ratatoille, but the ones I mentioned were near perfect. If you are used to watching HBO, switch to cams will be unnoticeable, and we are not even talking about proper DVD rips and screeners like Sicko.

Patience is a virtue when it comes to movies on UTorrent, cams are poor quality on the whole but screeners are good quality and a welcome bonus if you can find them (Torrent Harvester is my choice file finder here to locate anything you want to see). Wait a month or 3 and the dvdrips are excellent quality and in great abundance. Of course you can also find the latest series such as The Sopranos and The Wire which I would highly recommend. But be warned, UTorrent is highly addictive so make plenty of space on your hardisk or buy a spindle of dvds, you are gonna need them.

Patience is not a virtue with UBC. It just get worse. They are complacent due to lack of competition and will continue to offer offal whilst charging you the price of beef.

Long live UTorrent

JAF

Careful gentlemen, while we all agree that UBC's programing is not too brilliant, downloading, watching and especially sharing copyrighted material is highly illegal.

Any reference on how to go about this will result in deleted posts, this thread closed and warnings issued!

Monty

The moderation team

I dropped UBC completely. Same 30 movies on five channels, no shows that arn,t out of date. Re runs re runs and they mess up all the sports covage. The worse thing was they dropped NASCAR this season and I dropped them flat. My daughter in seattle gets 500 channels plus Movies and shows on demand and highspeed internet 1m plus for 800 Baht a month. And her cable company pays the same price for inrternet that Thailand companys do. So don't blame US for that too. They just arn't taxed 75% by the gov.

OK - a further question. Will a cable decoder card work in a satellite box? I have UBC cable in Bangkok, and would buy a UBC-ready satellite system for my 'weekend' place in Pattaya, if the card was ransferable between the two. I'm not willing to pay for two subscriptions.

Just my couple of cents worth, but with people saying that the UBC is a dumb system (OK which it is!) how is it that the one time I was a few days late in my payment a notice kept flashing on the screen to remind me?

There is obviously some system that identifies every subscriber to each box top. or was I just unlucky ????????? :o

D.D

Yes it works perfectly well if you use your card in another machine

sure I said this earlier but I dont mind repeating myself if it helps you to understand

JAF

I read your other message, and I think you were referring to using the card in another decoder of the same type (correct me if I've misunderstood). I assumed that will work.

My question, to repeat it, is whether a cable card will work in a satellite decoder box?

G

Patience is a virtue when it comes to movies on UTorrent, cams are poor quality on the whole but screeners are good quality and a welcome bonus if you can find them (Torrent Harvester is my choice file finder here to locate anything you want to see). Wait a month or 3 and the dvdrips are excellent quality and in great abundance. Of course you can also find the latest series such as The Sopranos and The Wire which I would highly recommend. But be warned, UTorrent is highly addictive so make plenty of space on your hardisk or buy a spindle of dvds, you are gonna need them.

Patience is not a virtue with UBC. It just get worse. They are complacent due to lack of competition and will continue to offer offal whilst charging you the price of beef.

Long live UTorrent

JAF

correct. search for axxo while you are at it. :o

hello all

I know for most of you this will not really matter but i just wanted to know if Truevisions will be showing American Football this year. With the way they are cutting programming it would not surprise me. They used to show games at 1am 4am and 830am on early monday mornings and show a game tuesday morning during the season. Does anyone have any info

If anyone from UBC is reading this, swapping a smartcard from one decoder to another it DOES NOT WORK.!!!!!!!!

For everyone else :o

It most certainly does have tried it on two different decoders !!

Nobody seems to be reading my question properly here - so I will have one last go.

YES - I know it works if the two decoders are the same type: cable->cable or satellite->satellite

QUESTION - Will a CABLE card work in a SATELLITE decoder???

G