5 Tips for dating a Thai - understanding culture

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's say what she describes are polite ways how Thais like to see themselves.

It seems reality is often very different from those ideals. 

Indeed the way she talks about hygiene and table manners concerns hygiene.

There is sometimes a problem with that, even washing hands is often too much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Indeed the way she talks about hygiene and table manners concerns hygiene.

There is sometimes a problem with that, even washing hands is often too much.

And up country everybody seems to use their own spoon or their fingers for everything.

But then again, I guess she talks about the good, educated Thai people, just like herself. 😉 

• Agree 1

Rule #6. Ignore their timetable, play things out exactly as you want to play things out, and take your time. If it's good it's only going to get better, if there are issues they're going to reveal themselves over time. Two years minimum, before you can call it serious. Never use the love word, within the first year or two. Do you love me baby? No. I do like you. There is potential here. But, I need time. Never allow yourself to succumb to her time table, as they always seem to want push things. Don't let that happen, push back, and do whatever you can to make her aware of this.

I am not a wallflower, and we're going to do things at my pace. Don't like that? OK, no problem. I am moving on. See ya. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

My best tip

Find a mature realistic girl/woman who already had a relationship with a decent gentleman who teached her everything.

Good language and good etiquette! 

She will know and appreciate a good relationship. 

2. Know her family and friends

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Rule #6. Ignore their timetable, play things out exactly as you want to play things out, and take your time. If it's good it's only going to get better, if there are issues they're going to reveal themselves over time. Two years minimum, before you can call it serious. Never use the love word, within the first year or two. Do you love me baby? No. I do like you. There is potential here. But, I need time. Never allow yourself to succumb to her time table, as they always seem to want push things. Don't let that happen, push back, and do whatever you can to make her aware of this.

I am not a wallflower, and we're going to do things at my pace. Don't like that? OK, no problem. I am moving on. See ya. 

So true!

5 hours ago, alien365 said:

For those who prefer to read rather than watch videos:

1. Thai's want/like gifts. 

2. Thai's share food. 

3. Thai family is number 1.

4. Thai people don't like public displays of affection. 

5. Thai people are open to having relationships with others/giks. 

i like gifts

i'm ok about sharing food

my family is extremely important to me

this one difficult as i'm happy snogging in public

i have been known to have a bit on the side.

am i so different from other foreigners here?

10 hours ago, it is what it is said:

i like gifts

i'm ok about sharing food

my family is extremely important to me

this one difficult as i'm happy snogging in public

i have been known to have a bit on the side.

am i so different from other foreigners here?

1. Are gifts important to your love for someone? Are they integral to your relationships?

2.Sharing food, fair enough. I don't have any problems either, but I wasn't /am not arguing that we are different on all counts  

3. Do you do what your mum and dad want you to do rather than doing what you want to do as an adult? If your parents did not like your gf would you dump her?  

4. The more I live here, the more difficult I find pda. I get a lot of stares anyway living in an area without many westerners. 

5. Did your gf/wife accept to you having a bit on the side. Would you be okay with your lady having sex with another man? 

Ultimately, the answers to the above make little difference, but for me there are some points I can accept and others not. If she expect gifts in return for love, this is a transaction, not a relationship to me. If she did what her parents wanted her to do rather than what we as a couple wanted to do, once again, end of relationship. If she want to bend over for other men on the side, once again it's not gonna work with me, but we all have our own boundaries. 

Some of this agree with.

The gift thing, totally on board with, but it's little different in the West when you go visit you take a bottle of wine or the like.

I've never liked holding hand and certainly not kissing in public, so that for me is a given

I supported my parents in their old age, but maybe an Hispanic thing not totally Asian.

Food ditto

Gik thing. Well pretty sure my wife would chop off my balls in my sleep if I even thought about it!