Rats,insects, And Others But What About The Thais?

Zeid

i have seen rats being grilled, ate live actopus in South korea, and untill this day i do not know if my host said duck or dog.

but what have you found out Thais get shocken when they see us eat.

for me what stciks out is

Lamb,

Lamb/Beef head and feet

Fried Cheese

I like to eat rabbit when i mentioned it to the wife she said you cant eat rabbit they are for pet :o .

JB

Funny, my husband was horrified when he overheard a conversation between me and a friend. "Bunnies? You eat bunnies??" Was his response :D

My wife loves rabit and I am sure if it moves she will eat it,if it dont move give it a shove and she will have a go!

Loves kangaroo and asks me to stop for road kill (she kids me)

My wife loves rabit and I am sure if it moves she will eat it,if it dont move give it a shove and she will have a go!

Loves kangaroo and asks me to stop for road kill (she kids me)

Where I lived for about 14 years before moving here, was in rural Perthshire, Scotland.

It was a regular occurance for me to run over rabbits, pheasants and (at great repair costs and thankfully not so often!) the odd deer.

My Thai wife was at first horrified when after striking such animals with the car and them not being dead I would always stop and put them out their misery. (for the deer I fortunately always carried my golf clubs in the back of my car)

The Law in Scotland is that you can not pick up what you just run over/killed yourself as that is seen as illegal hunting, however this is often unobserved if you phone a friend of just reverse! Or you see that car in front take one out.

There is nothing better than fresh killed rabbit - (glancing blow!) and a rabbit stew.

Deer and pheasant must be hung for a few weeks - in this climate not practical!! But fine in the cool outhouse in Scotland!!

There are no wild animals left in 95% of Thailand (How many times have you seen a rabbit here outwith a cage?)

I spend a few months in the Negev area of Israel next to the Gaza Border in the mid 90's and the Thais working there would spend the Sabbath hunting rabbits (no wonder as their pay was so poor) - now the rabbit there is extinct.

So, yes Thais eat Rabbits here (but as there are very few left apart from the fat fluffy ones) they prefer deer and pheasant!

raw pork (makes almost every Thai gag)

In my darkest moments (like after having been challenged for the umptieth time into a 'who can eat the spiciest'-match) I trick them into eating the harmless looking Wasabi.

This isn't really a Thai thing, but my wife can't stand the smell of beef and always waits outside the butcher and sends me in. However she is also very picky about the meat I buy and stands at the window pointing out to the butcher the piece of pork etc that she wants (While he grumbles under his breath that they are all the same).

post-18138-1185509501_thumb.jpg
Vegemite :o

Yep. Definately.

But they were trying it by the spoonfull and I dont know anyone that could stomach that.

They ate everything else that I threw at them though.

i love my vegemite thick as can be. and i can eat it by the spoonful no worries. love it.

Vegamite! ewwwww My mom is an Aussie so even in the states we always had it in the fridge and I always thought my mums batch had just gone rancid. I am NOT a real picky eater and love the Som Tum and many dishes other Farang will pass on but...

Choice #1 a spoonfull of Pla Ra

Choice #2 a spoonfull of Vegamite

Choice #3 a revolver with just one bullet in the chamber

I think I will take my chances with #3.

If it was available and was protein, the early residents of Isaan found a way to make it edible, and then brought their kids up on it.

Having had a boyhood in Ashton-Under-Lyne, I am very fond of tripe.

But, not having got to the Arctic till my early twenties, I could not stomach raw seal meat.

There was a man who arrived at a hotel after the dining room had closed. The night porter offered to make him a sandwich with some ox tongue that the chef had in the fridge.

"Oh, I couldn't eat something that has been in an animal's mouth" he said. "Just bring me a glass of milk and and egg sandwich."

There was a man who arrived at a hotel after the dining room had closed. The night porter offered to make him a sandwich with some ox tongue that the chef had in the fridge.

"Oh, I couldn't eat something that has been in an animal's mouth" he said. "Just bring me a glass of milk and and egg sandwich."

:o:D :D

Large cups of coffee, we own a shop in our village and when the locals come at 6.00 am to have their ten baht shot of Loa Koa (paint stripper) before going to work they look in disgust at my big mug of coffee telling me it's bad for me.

If it was available and was protein, the early residents of Isaan found a way to make it edible, and then brought their kids up on it.

Having had a boyhood in Ashton-Under-Lyne, I am very fond of tripe.

But, not having got to the Arctic till my early twenties, I could not stomach raw seal meat.

Before I went to France I'd never eaten frog, before I went to America I'd never eaten shark, before I came to Isaan I'd never eaten snake.

It's just a question of availability and hunger..... put anything on a plate in-front of my wife, she will eat it.

And that old 'Thais don't like lamb' saying is about as inaccurate as you can get, 'Thais don't know lamb' would be better. On my wife's first visit to the UK I served her some grilled lamb chops, she didn't know what it was but tentatively tried it, instantly hooked. Now, any time we are in a major conurbation, we both go on a lamb chop hunt, and usually end up disappointed when they smother them in steak sauce.

(a few days after her first sampling I googled for a picture of a lamb...... her words "oh, pretty, tasty too")

On the vegamite/marmite score, I don't know how anyone can actually like that, but I put jam and salt on corn-flakes.... each to their own :o

I can always remember going into the kitchen where the girls were eating Pla Ra. As I passed I said " Urghhh" and made myself a cheese sandwich.

As I was eating it, one of the girls came out. looked at me and said" Urghhh"

:o she wasnt referring to the food :D

My Thai wife and I travel a lot for my work. In recent weeks we have been on the move consistently and the first thing she looks for on the hotel menu is lamb chops. She is totally hooked on NZ gae. We spend a fair bit of time in Arab countries and if no lamb she will eat goat - and that is pretty good eating let me tell you.

So gae or pae is OK with my Thai girl.

Living in the Northwest of the United States, we have lots of wildlife left to supplement our diet. My favorite by far is ELK. It is gamey and very very low in fat. The backstrap cut is prized here and oh so gooooood. I happen to have some that I was cooking up and my wife asked if she could have some since it smelled so good, not knowing what it was. I gave her a little steak which she devoured thinking it was some kind of prime beef. I then told her that it was ELK and she starting gagging. She liked it until she knew what it was. Eating DEER and ELK in the US is fairly standard outside of the large cities. I imagine if there was any large wildlife left in Thailand it would be the same there. Too bad for her and more for me.

Mike in Seattle

post-27383-1185766523_thumb.jpg

Driving back from Tesco lotus in Korat city onetime going south along route 304 with the wife & her sister when i drove over a huge snake in the road.

The sister in the back starts shouting in Thai.

At first i thought she was upset some buddhist custom had to be done ie-re start my journey(Been told thats wot u have to do if you run over a Dog).

So i asked the wife wot was the problem?

She said "Sister love snake meat very aloi can go back get snake?" :D

I didnt drive back but i offered to stop the car & let her sister out to get the snake & catch the Bus back to the Village :o:D