Sunday afternoon/evening: Forum will be down for scheduled maintenance

george

55 minutes ago, champers said:

It was down last night. Will it still be down tonight as well?

Yes, forum will be down today/this evening as well, to do part 2 of the maintenance. It's a huge forum database that must be moved and it will take hours, and database must be offline when work is in progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, george said:

Yes, forum will be down today/this evening as well, to do part 2 of the maintenance. It's a huge forum database that must be moved and it will take hours, and database must be offline when work is in progress.

I work with computers, and with databases, since decades.

And when I read something like above, then I have my doubts.

How big can a database for a forum be? Not huge!

If it is so big, can't all old data, i.e. everything until last month or last year, be transferred first, and only a little new data later offline?

If you do it right it isn't that complicated and it isn't that time consuming.

9 hours ago, george said:

22 years of data = ~300GB MySQL database, ~350GB user pics etc. Moving from Canada to Singapore. Slow internet due to underwater cable issues. Professional people doing this migration, don't worry.

No, unfortunately part of database can't be moved as forum software is very special, impossible to set to read-only, and we can't risk losing any data.

A necessary database maintenance is also being done while migrating. This very time consuming indeed (mysql dump + transfer of db plus import of MySQL dump into new server database with 4x better prestanda.

We are doing this process during low traffic (weekend). No other way to do this.

After move it could be a bumpy ride for a day or so as we optimize database and fix any software issues.

It's not only to "copy things over" I can assure you...

We will continue maintenance at some point tomorrow, as it’s late and datacenter guys does not work overtime.