Drunk Driver Kills Traffic Policeman at Bangkok Charity Event

webfact

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

I think an accident is an unintentional incident. 

Your definition would seem to infer there aren't many accidents, as in most cases, there IS somebody at fault. 

Yes, you are correct there are not many accidents. An accident (in this sense) is not an unintentional incident. An accident is an incident with no fault on either side.  (e.g.  if someone drove on the wrong side of the road and aimed at pedestrians to force them to jump out of the way, because he didn't intend to kill anyone, when he kills someone it is an accident according to your definition). Don't be daft

2 hours ago, DrMJA said:

Let us remember  Wichien Klanprasert,💔 a police officer on his motorcycle responding to a robbery call when HiSo (Low-Life)Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya dragged the officer's body for around 100 meters and then lied and fled the country -literally getting away with murder. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkgg87/red-bull-heir-thailand-killing

how could we ever forget about the red bull guy ?  It seems to be an obligation to mention the incident on every single thread regarding traffic incidents. The family and the police have been well compensated and will have put the matter behind them and are getting on with life Yet a few foreigners on here just can't let it go.  It is never mentioned on Thai Tv why it has to be brought up on this forum nearly every single day is beyond me Some people really need to get over themselves and try harder to understand how things work over here. Failure to do so will result in permanent unhappiness.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OldmanJ said:

There's no excuse for drunk driving,make a tough example of this poor alleged person.30 years in jail and banned from driving any vehicle for life.

Well with the 30 Years Jail Sentence,I Don't think he'll be doing much driving in the Nick !!

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

I think an accident is an unintentional incident. 

Your definition would seem to infer there aren't many accidents, as in most cases, there IS somebody at fault. 

That rings true with me...   When someone is speeding in the rain, spins out of control and crashes, his behavior is deliberate, the potential consequences of such actions are know, the actual consequence is not accidental - it is an 'incident'...   as accident implies a lack of fault.

A child falling into a chair and knocking the tea-pot off the table is an accident !!!

I read a lot these stories where the car spun of the road and killed xxx in a terrible accident - it seems to verbalise the avoidance of blame at a specific individual whose actions were deliberate.

In this case we have a tax drive who was 6x the legal driving limit - his action do drink that much and then drive was deliberate, it was no accident that he was in that state, it was no accident that he got in the car, the consequences while not deliberate have a degree if predicability when someone is that drunk - I think 'incident' is a more appropriate wording.

43 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

how could we ever forget about the red bull guy ?  It seems to be an obligation to mention the incident on every single thread regarding traffic incidents. The family and the police have been well compensated and will have put the matter behind them and are getting on with life Yet a few foreigners on here just can't let it go.  It is never mentioned on Thai Tv why it has to be brought up on this forum nearly every single day is beyond me Some people really need to get over themselves and try harder to understand how things work over here. Failure to do so will result in permanent unhappiness.

Rubbish - read the Thai Forums....    i.e. Pantip.com...  Thai's have not forgotten and that incident is brought up in response to similar incidents (drug / drink driving) etc and when the wealth are involved in an incident in much the same manner and frequency its brought up on this forum.

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Rubbish - read the Thai Forums....    i.e. Pantip.com...  Thai's have not forgotten and that incident is brought up in response to similar incidents (drug / drink driving) etc and when the wealth are involved in an incident in much the same manner and frequency its brought up on this forum.

I  think the "outrage" of a few virtue signalling  "netizens" represents nothing other than , well, the outrage of a few virtue signalling  "netizens"  There are bound to be a few Thais who just can't let it go either, hardly indicative of the whole nation. merely the views of a few social justice warriors,  The family of the unfortunate victim will have been well compensated for their loss, by the family of the perpetrator, in excess of what they would have received had justice been allowed to take its course.

Do you honestly think they would be happy to return the difference in return for a bit of jail time for the driver ?   They will have spent it all by now anyway.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kevozman1 said:

Oddly enough this incident where a Thai was killed by another Thai gets way less traction than some Brit guy who crashed into a few parked cars/bikes.  Really highlights the trash that circulate this site. Probably the one's in their condo 167 hours in a week and the one hour they come out they wouldn't say say boo to a goose. Stay low.

This is the same all over the world.
Not only in Thailand.
I remember a case where a policeman was murdered by a drunk driver in Belgium and the case was not even reported in the newspapers.
The driver was a member of the national football team.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Following this incident, Police Major General Anant Worrasat, chief of the Bang Khen Police Station, ordered a comprehensive review of entitlements and benefits for government officials.

Huh?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

If that had been the case this thread would have reached 20 pages of outrage already

There are different standards of reporting in Thailand (and other Asian countries). The farang incidents that cause "outrage" among the locals, and many foreigners, are usually "Tuesday at 15:30:15" on local Thai TV news. 

Edited by elzach

For those who seem to misunderstand what an "accident" is in the context of this topic:

An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally. I accept the principle of "an accident waiting to happen"

An event that happens by chance or that it is without apparent or deliberate cause.

The replies to my earlier point suggest that if someone is drunk or speeding for example and subsequently cause a collision that it is not an accident. It is!

It's true, the offending driver caused the collision but whether someone is to blame or not, it is still an accident - unless the incident was deliberately motivated.

;

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, elzach said:

There are different standards of reporting in Thailand (and other Asian countries). The farang incidents that cause "outrage" among the locals, and many foreigners, are usually "Tuesday at 15:30:15" on local Thai TV news. 

Wow there are different standards of reporting here and elsewhere in Asia ? I never would have believed it, thanks for the information.

What exactly does that have to do with the number of pages in this thread

The outrage you refer to is restricted to a hand full of people who spend most of their miserable lives in a state of outrage

Define "local " Thai tv news.   local to which provinces ?  As far as I am aware there is are no "local " tv channels in Thailand, they are all broadcast nationally, Are you quite sure about the exact timing 15:30:15 ?   sounds very precise, is it not 15:30:14  or 15:30:16 

Care to enlighten me further?

10 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Murder with a vehicle. This guy should get at least 25 years in a jail, if not a death sentence.

IMO.

....he can also make a run like the Red Bull guy

You can't drink and drive and when you drink then don't drive.
Αlthough I don΄t drink alchool but only Campari Lemon soda !
A Greek proverb says that: The madman saw the drunken man and was afraid...........you are a willful criminal when you know you are going to drink and you take car΄s key to drive.

I had bad experiences at Greek Santorini island where I worked for many years when I was drunk with my girlfriends from Germany or Sweden and England I drove my sport expensive car BMW from capital Fira to Oia.

I was driving on a road next to  1km cliffs and the next morning when I woke up with my girlfriends on my bed I couldnt remember who.....brings me to the houses where my girlfriends lived.
I gave a promise to myself and stopped drinking and have kept that promise to myself ever since.

No no.gif

Edited by Paris333
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2024 at 6:06 AM, scottdavio said:

Succumbed to extremely low blood pressure ? Nothing to do with the injuries he sustained? Road traffic control,Probably the most dangerous job for a police officer in Thailand. RIP. 

To the very end, Thais always trying to save face even for guilty parties

he died b/c blunt force trauma due to being hit by a drunk driver

But let’s make a bigger deal of a guy kicking someone in the back or a guy getting his car stuck in the sand…

if a Thai is involved, the issue is downplayed…and not dealt with properly…so like driving, burning, garbage, alcoholism, domestic violence, and a host of other issues, never the focus on preventing or improving 

• Like 1