Why are Thais short-changed on new car warranties?

I see the MG brand (and many other brands) in Australia  give a 7 year, unlimited klms warranty on new cars, yet Thailand only gets 4 years. Why?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I see the MG brand (and many other brands) in Australia  give a 7 year, unlimited klms warranty on new cars, yet Thailand only gets 4 years. Why?

Perhaps lack of proper servicing in LOS after the free stuff is known about.....🤔

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps lack of proper servicing in LOS after the free stuff is known about.....🤔

Not 100% sure but I would imagine you'd have to show required service records to qualify for a 7 year warranty, as you probably have to do to even get 4 years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Not 100% sure but I would imagine you'd have to show required service records to qualify for a 7 year warranty, as you probably have to do to even get 4 years.

But, perhaps they do not follow the rules of warranty here, so it saves a lot of hassle to give 4 years, then take their money for a problem due to lack of following the rules..🤗

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

But, perhaps they do not follow the rules of warranty here, so it saves a lot of hassle to give 4 years, then take their money for a problem due to lack of following the rules..🤗

It also seems that the Thais get shafted on equipment levels as well. It's not as though the prices are lower, therefore less specs, quite the opposite in fact.

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What ever the market will allow.   I guess people drive less in UK, as battery is 8 yrs / 150k kms, vs TH's 180k kms.

image.png.e4f0dce4b944bf1e722394150dcd6170.png

We got 5 yr on 2022, and it did change to 4 yrs in 2023.  Apparently back to 5 years again. image.png.c5c4db3c1dbf451cdc8a7c2cd7248af3.png

Least of Thai auto buyer's issues, as the domestic excise/sales tax is about 27% of the vehicle price, for the 1.5 ICEV.

Edited by KhunLA

Just now, giddyup said:

It also seems that the Thais get shafted on equipment levels as well. It's not as though the prices are lower, therefore less specs, quite the opposite in fact.

Perhaps folk here don't need all the gismo's and working out how it works....🤗

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps folk here don't need all the gismo's and working out how it works....🤗

But yet pay the same price, or generally more.

Edited by giddyup
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Could be, I don't know, but I wouldn't buy an MG, it's a fake...............😂

Many other brands get the same 7 year warranty, not just MG.

5 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

most are cheaper in Thailand, UK suzuki swift start at £18699 (840kbaht) Thailand 580k baht

A Swift starts from $22,000 in Australia, same price as here, and gets a 5 year warranty.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

most are cheaper in Thailand, UK suzuki swift start at £18699 (840kbaht) Thailand 580k baht

So they pay for the extra 3 years, perhaps you can pay extra in LOS, I don't know, but I would expect the over heads in the UK to be waaaaay higher, building rates for one are astronomical, wages waaaaay higher for staff, it's all just waaay higher.........🤗

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

And here it must be 'Serviced' by dealers, who add so much unnecessary/expensive 'work' and parts. They call it a Guarantee, but it aint free, Air filters, cabin filters both 1,000+ each Lazada 198b delivered, inspection 500b ? I always thought that was part of a service not an added charge, Go in for just an oil/filter change cost around 2k, presented with a bill for 4.5 K ........:shock1: Oh but we flushed it, and put some additive in the fuel tank, was not what I asked for. Ripoff is the only guarantee you get.

My experience has been the opposite. When my Triton was still under warranty I never paid for anything other than oil change and filter (usually around 1000 baht), they never tried to push anything I didn't need.

• Like 2

Warranty is just another part of the package like chrome door handles or window defroster.  They package the parts based on what they the customers want and will pay for.  They do not think longer warranties are good in the Thai market so do not include them.  A change of mind and an increase in cost and they could be included.

Longer warranty higher cost.

• Agree 1

Service fees are so cheap here and brands like Toyota have great employees I had a Camry for 12 years and every time I go it’s done quick and it cost nothing my VW Golf in Ireland costs me 25k THB for a service assuming nothing is wrong In Thailand it’s about 5K and thats mostly for the oil.

Edited by BangkokAlan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Warranty is just another part of the package like chrome door handles or window defroster.  They package the parts based on what they the customers want and will pay for.  They do not think longer warranties are good in the Thai market so do not include them.  A change of mind and an increase in cost and they could be included.

Longer warranty higher cost.

Why would you not want a longer warranty? And if a car can sell for the same price, or cheaper in other countries with longer warranties, then obviously price is not a factor. Same for equipment levels. I think the manufacturer is just giving less because no one complains so they get away with it.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

If I were of a suspicious nature, I'd guess that the paint wouldn't last as long in the tropical sun, and that's one of the more spendy warranty items.

But that's just a suspicious guess.  More likely, it's just what the market competition demands...

5 hours ago, transam said:

So they pay for the extra 3 years, perhaps you can pay extra in LOS, I don't know, but I would expect the over heads in the UK to be waaaaay higher, building rates for one are astronomical, wages waaaaay higher for staff, it's all just waaay higher.........🤗

I agree, and thought that way myself, till I priced the Vios & Mazda 2 here, vs USA, and both cheaper there/USA, along with needing more to be certified emissions worthy.   Considering the cost all around more in USA; wages, taxes, utilities, everything across the board, but yet, a better product (assuming) but cheaper.  Quite surprised me.

As I couldn't imagine either one of those 'made in TH' POS being sold in USA.   Take away the TH excise tax, and they might be the same price, but still inferior.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, petermik said:

I`ve owned Nissan and MG cars here....4 in total....and your comments are ridiculous cabin and air filters for both come in at 240 baht or less and fitted.....500 baht inspection,you`re in cloud cuckoo land.

BS Nissan wanted 1,200b for a cabin filter. Nissan Juke. 

They try everything on, before it goes in the workshop they give you a bill to sign, I have to cross out all the items I haven't asked for. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, giddyup said:

Is there something like the NRMA in Thailand? Consumer protection associations? Too subversive for this place IMHO.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, BangkokAlan said:

for a service assuming nothing is wrong In Thailand it’s about 5K and thats mostly for the oil.

Edited 23 hours ago by BangkokAlan

Oil and filter is around 2k and that's for synthetic oil.