Devastating Road Accident in Phetchaburi Ends Family Trip in Tragedy

image.jpeg

File photo for reference only.

PHETCHABURI, Thailand - A gruesome vehicle accident took place yesterday in Phetchaburi's Khao Yoi district seriously wounding an 11-year-old boy and hospitalizing a family of four.

The driver, identified as Kai, dozed off while driving causing their van to slam into a roadside metal barrier. The collision was severe, leading to a metal fragment puncturing the van, creating a dangerous situation for the passengers inside.

The Khao Yoi Police promptly informed emergency services from Khao Yoi Hospital and the Sawang Sarnphet Thammasathan Foundation, who rushed to the scene. The rescue team found a bronze Toyota van impaled by a steel rod and needed hydraulic tools to free the trapped family.

The 11-year-old boy suffered serious head injuries from the metal rod and was rushed to Phra Chom Klao Hospital for urgent treatment. His 4-year-old sister and mother, both also onboard, suffered minor injuries.

The driver, Kai, admitted to feeling sluggish and losing consciousness briefly due to lack of sleep, which led to the accident. Police Colonel Thip Khengkum, emphasized the risk of driving while tired as a cause of many serious road accidents.

The ongoing investigation and this heartbreaking incident have highlighted the importance of road safety, including the dangers of driving while fatigued. It has also triggered community conversations about enhanced safety measures on highways to avoid such tragedies in the future.

TOP File photo for reference only.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-30

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

52 minutes ago, webfact said:

The ongoing investigation and this heartbreaking incident have highlighted the importance of road safety, including the dangers of driving while fatigued. It has also triggered community conversations about enhanced safety measures on highways to avoid such tragedies in the future.

i wish this were true but the carnage will continue. 

• Agree 2

Proper driving education and responsibiltity of the drivers are far away... Why drive with a lack of sleep...?? If feel tired stop the car and sleep don't continue. And what punishment is given?? probably not much so it is no example for other drivers, and the family has their problems now...If it were rich people it would be another story

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

First, it´s very sad that so many passengers got hurt. However, this is not any heartbreaking incident. It´s poor stupidity of the driver and father, who jeopardize his familiy´s life´s and his own. He admitted feeling sleepy. Hell yeah! Then you take a break from driving. After that, it doesn´t matter how many enhanced safety measures they invent. That people are so stupid when talking about something is horrible. Safety measures will not end this. The only thing that will end further deaths is that Thai drivers understand how to drive and when to take a break.

Well, if Thailand would have been colonized for some decades you would have teach them a lesson I suppose, wouldn't you?🤗

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver, Kai, admitted to feeling sluggish and losing consciousness briefly due to lack of sleep, which led to the accident.

Reflect on this for the rest of your life, it's so easy to pull over and take a nap.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Well, if Thailand would have been colonized for some decades you would have teach them a lesson I suppose, wouldn't you?🤗

Taught them a lesson ?

15 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Reflect on this for the rest of your life, it's so easy to pull over and take a nap.

When I used to drive any long distance I would stop every couple of hours and take a break.

In Thailand every second stop I would have a sleep for a while.

Arriving safely matters, time doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

So, what does a colonized Thailand have to do with my post?

6 hours ago, watchcat said:

Yes i have notised this several times on this forum, that a thai person can't stay awake in a car, train, bus, mc etc.  why are the doctors not concerned about this?

I have to agree. If my missus goes to BKK on the bus she sleeps the whole 4-5 hour journey, no problem. Same goes for a car journey to Korat, one and a half hours away. Same applies to return journey.

How do Thai people fall asleep so easily?

Every Thai person I've ever known can fall asleep in under 5 seconds in any environment. Doesn't matter if they're comfortable, hot, cold, or sitting straight up. I've even seen some able to sleep while standing.

How can they do this?

Edited by IvorBiggun2

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

So, what does a colonized Thailand have to do with my post?

Hmh, pity that you can't imagine. Maybe driving schools? Maybe education in schools anyway? Is that something you can follow now?

7 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Hmh, pity that you can't imagine. Maybe driving schools? Maybe education in schools anyway? Is that something you can follow now?

There is no problem with me staying on topic. That problem only rest in your unstable hands.

9 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

If you want to have the last word (not say).....you got it now😵‍💫

So, good boy! Now go colonize another member.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, good boy! Now go colonize another member.

According to your wording, you're either extremely stubborn, or didn't get any education. Or both. Or being demented. Anyway, it's useless for me to continue this "conversation"😵‍💫

Thai roads are a danger for driving at night. Twin trailer truck are a menace on winding 

roads especially lamphang highland. I always try not to drive at night on rural hilly terrain if possible. For a long distance trip up north from Bangkok to chiangmai or chiangrai , try to have a pit stop at a transit hotel after 4/5 hours driving. Having a good night rest is essential too. A good back up plan is having a missus along to drive if feeling too tired . Works well for me for more than 25 years of living in Thailand. 
If thailand has less than adequate road conditions and doggy drivers, work to our benefit to have a preemptive attitude and situational awareness at all times. 
take care out there … 

5 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

According to your wording, you're either extremely stubborn, or didn't get any education. Or both. Or being demented. Anyway, it's useless for me to continue this "conversation"😵‍💫

Yes, it is. Good of you to come to that conclusion. You won a gold star!