Travel Insurance for Australia from Thailand

Hello,

I am an Australian expat and have lived in Thailand last 10 years. I need to visit Australia soon for family health reasons.

On my last visit I found out  I had been "kicked out" of Medicare due to being outside Australia for more than 5 years. I need to re-apply if I go back including proving I have left Thailand like closed bank accounts, rental lease terminations, etc.

So I am looking for travel insurance for travel to Australia, mainly to cover me for any medical emergencies. Most policies I have looked at are for travel from Australia, even Thai companies.

So has anyone had experience and who di they buy from?

Both AIG Thailand and AXA Thailand offer outbound travel polices.  AIG offers slightly higher limits for medical expenses if I recall correctly, although the limits are fairly low: 5 million and 4 million baht respectively. I would avoid the smaller Thai companies' offerings.

There are a number of insurers offering better coverage and higher limits, but they aren't based in Thailand. I think Allianz offers travel policies from Europe and there are a number of specialty insurers that do. I think you can find them if you search on the internet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I use a company called MCIG. I don't know whether it is any good because I have never made a claim. It is cheap and I have been to the US, Japan with them. Just type MCIG into your web browser, you can apply on line. Have your passport and CC ready.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2024 at 6:03 PM, retarius said:

I use a company called MCIG. I don't know whether it is any good because I have never made a claim. It is cheap and I have been to the US, Japan with them. Just type MCIG into your web browser, you can apply on line. Have your passport and CC ready.

From Thailand? I looked on their site and a Singapore address needed.