Open a bank account on a tourist visa for the purpose of buying a condo (Not Bangkok Bank)

Posted (edited)

I think that in Thailand in order to open a bank account you should present work permission in Thai region otherwise you are not permitted to open tourist visa because you can use your Bank card in any transaction.

I have worked temporarily in Bangkok each year for six months since 2014 until corona holocaust period and I wanted to open Bank account for my salary and the Banks hesitated because I am European foreigner so I drop over to Kuala Lumpur to Malay region and I open a Bank account in a branch of May Bank as well as in Laos.

If you are a foreigner from Europe States Thailand banks treat you like criminals and you feel uncomfortable like a victim.

But if you are in legal marriage with Thai woman you should not have the same treatment and unacceptable behaviour like me.

Otherwise you drop over to Malaysia and Laos and Malays are very -very polite (gentle manner) employees. (moderate Muslims excellent very good people)

I am talking about until corona period because from corona period onwards I am affraid to visit Thailand because of possible mandatory medical insurance or check ups although I am healthy no any drugs many decates ago I hate dirt hospitals.

Edited by Paris333
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Paris333 said:

If you are a foreigner from Europe States Thailand banks treat you like criminals and you feel uncomfortable like a victim.

But if you are in legal marriage with Thai woman you should not have the same treatment and unacceptable behaviour like me.

The OP was asking about opening a Bank Account with only a Tourist Visa - and as noted, today, that is VERY very difficult. (It was not so difficult a decade ago).

However, today, for someone on a non-immigrant Type-OA or Type-O visa, it is entirely doable to open a bank account in Thailand.  One need not be married to a Thai.   And now that banks are more familiar with the LTR visa, it also very doable for foreigners on that Visa to open accounts in Thailand.

Thailand Banks do NOT treat foreigners from European states as criminals.  If one has an appropriate Visa, the banks WILL open a bank account - as they want your money ... but only if you meet their conditions for the type of Visa a foreigner must have.  The banks do not want to open accounts for tourists.

Those tourists trying to buy a condo in Thailand do have a valid point - that its very difficult for them to buy such (without a Thai bank account) if the condo purchase is not direct from the developer. If the purchase is direct from the developer, then typically a Thai bank account is not needed.

In Bangkok Bank HQ I saw old farang and his Thai wife who asked to open joined account for the "condo" purpose. Refused. No more joint accounts. Than he asked only for himself to transfer money. Refused as well. 

I spoke with big manager and he told me that my bank abroad has to send SWIFT message to BBL that I have the saving account there and they "endorse" opening an account in Thailand. Very nice and kind guy.

Even to open account to pay for hospital bills is impossible. 

He said there were some regulations last April (2023) to prohibit new accounts for tourists. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

All the agents that I talked to only help with Bangkok Bank

you've still not said which ones, but have you tried central festival and offer to buy their insurance? Kasikorn, Krungsri, usually it's a way round the problem

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

you've still not said which ones, but have you tried central festival and offer to buy their insurance? Kasikorn, Krungsri, usually it's a way round the problem

Again, the insurance trick works only with Bangkok Bank. The other ones don't offer this option. They call sell you insurance of course, but won't open an account for you.

5 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

You think I remember all their names? Pattaya Concierge was one of them. That's what I can remember

Maybe try MOTs and Maneerat if you haven't already

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe try MOTs and Maneerat if you haven't already

I recently contacted Maneerat about opening up several bank accounts.

They can only open Bkk Bank if on a tourist visa (I have Bkk Bank already).

Even pre-covid on a marriage extension I found it very difficult to open a bank account - only managed Bkk Bank because the women in the branch lived next door!

There are other options if on a "retirement visa" etc

oldcpu member

Thanks for aswering all my questions I appreciate it but I dont figure it out Banks unwillingness to open tourist Bank account at the time where tourists can tranfer electronically all of their deposit legally.

Anyway as I wrote you I open my Bank account in Malay region and in Laos tranfering my money with Revolut transaction in order to make purchases not only in Thai region but also in Malay region. (legal cash receipts)

If Authorities announce you "no" in something that means something is wrong criminal at the time you are a legal entity.

person. 

50 minutes ago, Paris333 said:

oldcpu member

Thanks for aswering all my questions I appreciate it but I dont figure it out Banks unwillingness to open tourist Bank account at the time where tourists can tranfer electronically all of their deposit legally.

Anyway as I wrote you I open my Bank account in Malay region and in Laos tranfering my money with Revolut transaction in order to make purchases not only in Thai region but also in Malay region. (legal cash receipts)

If Authorities announce you "no" in something that means something is wrong criminal at the time you are a legal entity.

person. 

What are the requirements to open a bank account in Malaysia?

Go with somebody who knows a bank clerk. Perhaps your condo seller ? Got a bank account in 30 minutes opened in Hua Hin on tourist 30 day visa waiver, some time back. 😜. Rules in Thailand are mainly there to be broken or to pull out when the clerk at the counter wants to harass a foreigner. Nothing else.

I had been an existing customer in Malay region since......2013 or 2014 and I had forgotten and employeees found my tourist account.(passport and they gave me some documents I am the only one owner of my account)

So I take Banks registered letter with a typical user name and password.

When I returned back I access my account online and I change user name/password and thats it.

I am referring during 2017 year because for new accounts 2018 onwards I have no idea furthermore Malay is under European jurisdiction cooperation (ECB board) and I do not send all of my money.(I remembered they had low Banks fees).

They have also my mobile phone international number and e-mail so if at anytime I will be notified that my account will be online deactivated I will drop over to withdraw all of my money in cash with official Bank receipt and I will directly invest them in gold Bonds in order to be disappeared from Bank΄s system as many of my friends did.

In one hand I have no something to hide from Authorities because I have my legal work and in other hand I hate and I dont like to have my money in European States to feed illegal migrants from Ukrain - African - Bangladeshians -Pakistanis -Indians etc furthermore from Arabian region disperate migrants who found their "american dream" at the expense of idiots Europeans.