Man drowns after getting caught in a rip at Kata Noi Beach

snoop1130

I never go into the sea without a life jacket, even in High Season weather. I used to train staff at resorts in the Maldives. I would go snorkeling after classes but never without a life jacket on. Most tourists didn't wear one. They had the "Nothing can happen to me. I'm on holiday!" attitude. But even when the sea is calm there is usually a current running parallel to the island and if you don't turn towards the shore in time because you're admiring the fish and coral beneath you, you can float past the island easily. Only with a life jacket on can you get back via the other side of the island. 

• Confused 1

Many Europeans come to Thailand for the beautiful beaches . The tourists are probably used to swimming in the much safer non tidal Mediterranean . Not only are there rip tides in Thai waters but further out there can be whirlpools which are deadly unless you know what to do and are a very strong swimmer . In my 12 plus years in Thailand I have never swam in the sea because of the dangers . I even remember beach vendors taking down red flags because they would not get customers . We are now nearing the season for box jelly fish which can be fatal . Also sea snakes and other venomous fish along with coral that can cut your skin and will give you an infection . There are also sharks and barracuda in some Thai waters . I stick to the hotel swimming pools . Very few Thai beaches have life guards .

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

Why are people replying to this guy?  He is 100% a troll.  

If he was just random trolling then it would be OK. But his "advise" can mislead people into dangerous situations. We are not argueing for his sake but for the random readers sake.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

You are right . I should have said " almost non tidal " as the tides are hardly noticeable in most of the med, 20-30 cm tides are common .I had many holidays in the Balerics where the sea levels appear to be constant .

• Like 1