Travel while UK passport is being renewed.

I need to renew my UK passport very soon. Am I correct in thinking VFS take your old passport while they are doing the renewal?

If so, how does one travel without it? As I understand it, a passport is now required for all domestic travel inside Thailand.

TIA

I'd imagine most sensible people would sort out a renewal when they have no scheduled travel coming up, the same as we do within the UK

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No, they do not take your old passport, you can still travel on it in the interim (since it is still valid) and it is only cancelled when the new one comes in and the old one is 'eared' in front of you. Don't sweat it. Perfectly valid, albeit if under 6 months careful when travelling overseas. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 10:37 PM, Chivas said:

I'd imagine most sensible people would sort out a renewal when they have no scheduled travel coming up, the same as we do within the UK

I’d imagine the same. But I was asking about flying domestically to and, more to the point “from BKK” after doing the renewal.

On 5/14/2024 at 4:22 AM, phetphet said:

I’d imagine the same. But I was asking about flying domestically to and, more to the point “from BKK” after doing the renewal.

That's fine. 

You'll be able to use it for ID on domestic flights. You won't be able to use it on international flights. I believe the passport is cancelled when your application is at processing stage.

• Thanks 1