Mah Jong Solataire keeping my brain sharp after retirement - here's hoping!

Diet, physical activity and human interaction is imperative for a healthy brain and body. Staring at a television is probably one of the worst things to do to a brain, we don’t have one those things in our home. I’m never bored, always busy with something whether I’m out and about meeting strangers, swimming, walking in the hills leaning about various species or helping the wife with her business. I like the challenge of strategy for the day and week ahead. Poor diet is probably the worst thing for the brain as well, sugar, high amounts of carbohydrates, alcohol and tobacco, all brain poison. 

2 hours ago, RT555 said:

And most of all - keep away from all the Hippocrates

So anyone who took the Hippocratic oath - basically  a doctor? You're saying stay away from all the medical professionals?

You wouldn't be meaning "hypocrites" by any chance? 😀

On 5/12/2024 at 4:38 AM, nglodnig said:

Yeah but I can't walk about all the time with a stiff willie. 😀

Exercise yes I do minimum half hour bicycling every day but keeping the brain active is a major if not THE major key.

Listening to experts, exercise not only increases blood flow to the muscles but also to the brain.  Some international studies have found various methods of exercise that can stem the progress of dementia sothat one doesn't reach Alzheimer's.  Yes, just like studying another language or other mental exercises increase the Synapses within the brain, thus helping to prevent Alzheimer's.  DIet can also affect the health of one's brain, the proof is out there.

• 3 months later...

It’s great that you’re keeping your brain active. I’ve found that playing solitaire can be surprisingly engaging and good for mental exercise. I once got really into it during a long flight, and it was a fantastic way to pass the time and stay sharp. As for learning languages, that’s a fantastic idea. I took up a bit of Spanish for fun, and even though I'm far from fluent, it’s been a fun challenge. Your approach with Thai sounds promising—just knowing a few phrases can make a big difference.

Edited by Catw3lk
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2024 at 4:18 AM, nglodnig said:

I have recently retired after spending more than forty years in IT in a technical role, my brain being my tool (plus hands of course as keyboard jockey). My worry is I  read stories that the dementia can quickly come if you stop using your brain - "Use it or lose it" basically.

My sainted mother lived until 86 doing the Daily Mirror crossword every day and was in full possession of her marbles up to her sad demise. 

So I spend a LOT of time doing Mah Jong Solataire. Maybe it'll help.

Learning another language can also help - as it exercises different parts of your brain apparently. I have already learnt German (badly, people compliment me on how bad it is after spending so long in a German-speaking country). Next once I am full-time here I will endeavour to learn Thai PROPERLY (I speak "survival Thai" - I learnt the numbers and can barter effecitively and I can ask where the toilet is but cannot understand the answer so they need to point where it is).

I have recently retired after spending more than forty years in IT in a technical role. Oh wait I just said that. 😀

https://www.ask.com/culture/benefits-playing-mahjong-solitaire-stress-relief-mental-health

Spent 35 years working very technical roles in IT & missed the mental challenge of it, then I discovered Cracking The Cryptic YouTube channel

https://m.youtube.com/@CrackingTheCryptic

Which lead to a few others… (Sudoku Sleuth, Bremster & Lucian’s place are great if you’re new to Variant Sudoku) & now I have at least 2-3 hours every day exercising the old grey matter. 

In addition to the YouTube stuff, also enjoy the New York Times mobile puzzles (Wordle, Connections, Strands) & https://www.dailykillersudoku.com/m/?

Oh nearly forgot, CTC also does Friday videos where they solve the Times Cryptic Crossword.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/13/2024 at 3:54 PM, ChrisKC said:

Every week I complete a cryptic crossword (Everyman on Sundays)

Very impressed, Everyman was my Nemesis when i did the daily Guardian crossword, honestly don’t think I’ve ever completed one of their puzzles without having to look something up 😔

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Very impressed, Everyman was my Nemesis when i did the daily Guardian crossword, honestly don’t think I’ve ever completed one of their puzzles without having to look something up 😔

Hello Mike, I first started the Everyman in 1965, from then on I did Daily Telegraph nearly every day for more than 30 years, graduating to The Times, but I only ever completed one without help. 

From the beginning of this year, I decided to go back to the Everyman online and I have completed every Sunday since then. I can finish in about one hour. Occasionally I need to research something to confirm I am on the right track. 

Thank you for the compliment. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/12/2024 at 10:35 AM, HighPriority said:

Taking dementia advice from a cardiologist…?

Ummm, ok.

Just nothing like a stroke or a heart attack-induced oxygen deprivation to guarantee instant cognitive decline. No doubt many of our members have observed, or experienced, that phenomenon. 

Learn Thai Chess (makruk) and play it online. Or, for that matter, Chinese Chess or Cambodian Chess, or how about Shogi?

You can buy electronic boards (like the Chessnut Go or Chessnut Evo) that link up with an online chess game and can show you moves or recommend moves with LCD lights on the board. This is great if you don't want to stare at a computer screen.