Holiday idea, fast train to China.

surreybloke

Thinking of driving up to Laos border and getting to western China via the fast train.     Has anyone done it.      Re  getting into Laos.    Will I need a multi entry visa  of do transit visas exist.    any thoughts

Apply Visa in Advance

To travel between China and Laos via the cross-border train, foreign tourists need to obtain a visa in advance. The Mohan Railway Station Port and the Boten Railway Station Port  do not provide visa-on-arrival services. Make sure to check the visa requirements and apply for a visa in a timely manner before your trip.

In Kunming, you need to go to the Consulate of Laos in Kunming in Caiyunbei Lu in Guandu District to  apply for a visa to Laos. Office hour:

• Monday to Friday
  • Morning: 09:00 – 11:30
  • Afternoon: 14:00 – 16:00

Appart from Laos Consulate in Kunming, you can also apply visa to Laos via Laos Consulate in Jinghong, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Nanning, Changsha and Hong Kong.

http://chinatrain12306.com/travel/kunming-vientiane-train.htm

Sounds like an interesting trip.

If you do this, please post details.

Posted (edited)

There are rumours of extending the friendship bridge rail connection to the Vientiane rail station.      We wait.     I have emailed elaos visa website.    .   

Seat61.com has some info. 

To be honest   I want to travel out of isaan to somewhere  apart from Thailand.   The drive to myanmar is a marathon .   Vietnam involves a long drive and a Laos visa.   

Would be good to fly from KK or Udon thani  without going back to BKK or DMK    .   

What will happen when the fast railway finally open to BKK.    

Those concrete pillars are going up fast.    

Edited by surreybloke