EU-Thailand Pact: Visa-Free Access for Thai Passport Holders

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He emphasized the mutual benefits of the FTA and expressed hope for EU support in granting visa-free access to Thai nationals in the Schengen zone.

He expressed hope, so this hasn't even been agreed upon yet and the article seems premature. I wonder if the EU does even know about Thailand's hopes and dreams. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He emphasized the mutual benefits of the FTA and expressed hope for EU support in granting visa-free access to Thai nationals in the Schengen zone.

He expressed hope, so this hasn't even been agreed upon yet and the article seems premature. I wonder if the EU does even know about Thailand's hopes and dreams. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Why not let Thais and other SE Asians have visa free travel to the EU , far better than what’s already been entering over the last 10/15 years with no visa or even ID for that matter.

Well said!

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, freeworld said:

Well maybe because of ETIAS in Europe, all travellers to Europe will in future need a pre travel authorisation and make a payment

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias/what-you-need-apply_en

Information

When filling out the application, you will be asked to provide the following information:

• Personal information including your name(s), surname, date and place of birth, nationality, home address, parents’ first names, email address and phone number;
  • Travel document details;
  • Details about your level of education and current occupation;
  • Details about your intended travel and stay in any of the countries requiring ETIAS;
  • Details about any criminal convictions, any past travels to war or conflict zones, and whether you have recently been subject of a decision requiring you to leave the territory of any country.

You will need to declare that the data you submit and the statements you make are correct. You will also need to confirm that you understand the entry conditions

to the territories of the European countries requiring ETIAS and that you may be requested to provide the relevant supporting documents each time you cross the external border.

".........parents’ first names, email address and phone number"

Bit difficult - they're both dead! 🙂 

Edited by sambum
Spelling

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Especially in view of immigration being such a 'hot topic'.

I wonder how many people in the EU/Schengen still think that having no borders is really a good thing?

I believe they have come to that conclusion already. They are also looking at ways to deport thousands of illegal immigrants, after  Merkal  opened the door to at least a million.

A lot of people entering Europe now have no Passports or papers and they are allowed to stay

They get a weekly allowance free accommodation free food and  health care. They have  no intention of working 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

When he was P M Khun Abhisit said that he pushed for the 90 days on arrival, but to no avail.

He has  British passport. 

11 minutes ago, sambum said:

".........parents’ first names, email address and phone number"

Bit difficult - they're both dead! 🙂 

They surely can't discriminate against orphans. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The government is positive about finalizing a trade and cooperation framework with the EU, which will include visa-free travel to the Schengen zone for Thai citizens. This agreement is expected to boost investment opportunities for Thailand.

The government being positive, means stuff all if the EU 'aint.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

As a Thai passport holder, I'd be over the moon as planning a European trip next year. Can also go to Russia without a visa. 

Why would anyone "WANT" to go to Russia?

Edited by sambum
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, bkk_mike said:

That's probably the other side of the deal.

I.e. Russians gets visa free entry for 90 days because Thais can go to Russia.

They can also go to the Ukraine, yet Ukrainians do not get 90 days for Thailand.  

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

As a Thai passport holder, I'd be over the moon as planning a European trip next year. Can also go to Russia without a visa. 

And the Ukraine, take a hard hat though.

• Haha 1

I'm planning - well, beginning to think about - a 3-week trip to France, Austria & Italy next May. Accompanied by my Thai b/f. Will he - on the current arrangement, still likely to be in place - have to apply separately for each Schengen country? or just once for all 3 (or more)?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I'm planning - well, beginning to think about - a 3-week trip to France, Austria & Italy next May. Accompanied by my Thai b/f. Will he - on the current arrangement, still likely to be in place - have to apply separately for each Schengen country? or just once for all 3 (or more)?

Just once for all three - that's how the Schengen system works. But keep in mind that the visa tends to be issued for exactly the number of days requested on the application, and not an hour more than that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

You would think there is no way the EU would be that naive, especially after recent issues with Thai's overstaying in South Korea and Japan, but who knows.

Not only Thais. The Aussies gave Malaysians the same easy visa option as Westerners. Guess what, after that they had about 10,500 overstaying Malaysians working illegally...

Just imagine, what would happen if it became true. There would be a serious labour shortage in Thailand within days...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

11 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Just once for all three - that's how the Schengen system works. But keep in mind that the visa tends to be issued for exactly the number of days requested on the application, and not an hour more than that.

Noted, thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VirgoSG said:

I think you significantly underestimate the number of Thais who can afford such travel.  Apart from the Covid period, the number of Thais visiting Japan, as an example, has been running at over a million a year.  This year's number looks like it will be about 1.3 million.  

Cheap airfare to Japan is a big reason for this I think. A trip to Tokyo from BKK is $300 vs $1200 to get to Hamburg. Thai people can afford that? If they got 100k Thais per year I would be impressed.

24 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

As Khun Jeff mentioned it is just one Schengen visa and that allows you free passage within the member countries. But when you apply you must apply to the country where you will spend the most time. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Meme123 said:

A lot of people entering Europe now have no Passports or papers and they are allowed to stay

They get a weekly allowance free accommodation free food and  health care. They have  no intention of working 

Same in the US. I would have serious costs and time spent to get my Thai wife to America but peasants and gang members from South America can literally just step over the border and get released into the country. In my home state of Colorado they're facilitating them to find housing and food at tax payer expense. Bunch of god damned traitors.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:
2 hours ago, VirgoSG said:

I think you significantly underestimate the number of Thais who can afford such travel.  Apart from the Covid period, the number of Thais visiting Japan, as an example, has been running at over a million a year.  This year's number looks like it will be about 1.3 million.  

Cheap airfare to Japan is a big reason for this I think. A trip to Tokyo from BKK is $300 vs $1200 to get to Hamburg. Thai people can afford that? If they got 100k Thais per year I would be impressed.

I don't think this would be a problem. Just look at the eye-watering amounts of cash South Asians and Africans pay to people-smugglers to be taken to Europe. They sometimes have to work years to pay the borrowed money back to relatives and others.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Just now, josephbloggs said:

As Khun Jeff mentioned it is just one Schengen visa and that allows you free passage within the member countries. But when you apply you must apply to the country where you will spend the most time. 

OK, that'll be France. I need at least a week to show him all the sights and to fill my suitcase with books that - because we live in Thailand - I can't buy here on Kindle. 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I don't think this would be a problem. Just look at the eye-watering amounts of cash South Asians and Africans pay to people-smugglers to be taken to Europe. They sometimes have to work years to pay the borrowed money back to relatives and others.

sure but this is a one time investment which lets them get in and then go illegal where they can work for years and send money back home (no taxes even!). tons of people doing that in America and that's what the Thai's will be doing if they get visa free travel. This is in fact the primary concern and why they need to be kept out unless they're actually tourists which plan to go home.

3 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

Thats quite a blinkered viewpoint. Many Thais can afford to travel to Europe. This would benefit those seeking employment too.

Small  number and their tourism dollars will be negated by Thai's coming to work illegally.

Those seeking employment??? this is for tourists not so a Thai can come and work. No idea what you're getting at here.

• Agree 1