International Driving License with Thailand Driving License

On 5/13/2024 at 1:52 PM, claffey said:
On 5/13/2024 at 12:41 PM, richard_smith237 said:

As above...   I've read numerous times that UK rental companies will accept a Thai DL as there is bilateral agreement between the licensing authorities of both nations that an IDP is not necessary....

... That said - many seem to want to have an IDP as a 'just in case'... so it doesn't hurt, its simple and cheap enough to get one and may be useful when travelling elsewhere (the 1968 one is valid for 3 years)

If you have an accident your insurance could be invalid if you don't have an IDP. Thailand requires one too but most people don't bother. Not worth the risk really as they are easily obtained. 

There are agreements in place.

From the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic

Contracting parties shall recognize as valid for driving in their territories:

Thailands Motor Vehicle Act: Section 42-2
In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

https://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/

12 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

They don't. All those treaties are multilateral. A bilateral treaty involves TWO countries. ASEAN Treaty (10 countries), 1949 Geneva Treaty (102 Countries), 1968 Vienna Treaty (89 Countries)

The Double Tax Agreement (DTA) Thailand has with the UK is an example of a bilateral agreement.

A poorly worded translation of the law does not change the meaning of the word bilateral.

"A bilateral treaty is a treaty strictly between two state entities. It is an agreement made by negotiations between two parties"

Fair enough if you want to argue semantics... 

.. I was using the 'official translation'......      feel free to continue getting hung up on the difference between a bilateral vs multilateral agreement when its clear - Thailand and the UK have an agreement in place which is the point.

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2024 at 4:30 PM, Upnotover said:

You don't need one.  I have rented from Avis in the UK, including at LHR, with my Thai license only.  If you still want to try and get a IDP I believe you have to go to the Chonburi DLT, not Regent School.

I have gotten several and never needed it while travelling. However, the process is quite simple. Go to the drivers license office and show them your Thai license. You will need a letter from immigration showing your residence. Easily gotten for a couple hundred baht. You will not need take any tests. Bring photos (if i recall correctly) 

That's it really. They just do the paperwork and issue you a paper permit. Probably best to get one if you are ever stopped while driving. But do not think need one if using to make a rental when there. 

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough if you want to argue semantics... 

.. I was using the 'official translation'......      feel free to continue getting hung up on the difference between a bilateral vs multilateral agreement when its clear - Thailand and the UK have an agreement in place which is the point.

If this were true. Thai police would not be able to issue tickets to drive rentals when you are in Thailand. Yet hundreds of foreigners daily get stopped and fined and made to pay for no license in Thailand. The police here do not even accept the international one I think. 

• Confused 1