Looking For Pitbull Cross

I've been looking for a Pitbull cross for a while, I don't want a pure bred because of issues with dog aggression. While I realize that anything with Pitbull may still be dog agressive I believe the chances will be reduced. I also plan to have proper training, nueter and socialize the dog with other dogs.

There are many Pitbulls advertised, but I can't find anyone who has cross breeds (preferably I'd like a Pitbull crossed with common thai dog or even a labrador).

In other countries it's easy to find cross breeds, but here it seems they are either pure bred or 'Ma Thai'. I believe alot of the 'pure breds' are actually cross breeds, but I can't find anyone honest enough to tell me what they are. I've spoken to the shelters, but of course they don't really know what kind of dogs their pups are.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

hi, i got two dogs here of which i think they have pitt's in their genes... lovely personalities, so i can understand why you would like to go for such dog.

all i can suggest is to ask around all the time, esp at petshops and pit breeders as they have more contacts and might rather know of some mixes...

here are my two (suspected :o ) pit mixes :D

post-1514-1185518251_thumb.jpg

post-1514-1185517683_thumb.jpg

hi, i got two dogs here of which i think they have pitt's in their genes... lovely personalities, so i can understand why you would like to go for such dog.

all i can suggest is to ask around all the time, esp at petshops and pit breeders as they have more contacts and might rather know of some mixes...

here are my two (suspected :o ) pit mixes :D

post-1514-1185518251_thumb.jpg

post-1514-1185517683_thumb.jpg

Nice pics! The white one is really nice, and I think definetely a Pitbull cross, those half floppy ears are a dead give away. This is one of the things I really like about the breed, but all so many ppl cut them off.

I saw 2 Thai x Pitbulls the other day at the market, they were brindle and looked great.

How old are the dogs? Do they fight with the others? I've done alot of research, despite all the bad press Pitbulls have good temperaments, dog aggression is the only problem. All the responsible websites say you can never trust them 100% with other dogs, so they should be seperated when left alone.

I'll keep looking, I was considering trying Pattaya as there might be a some x breed in the shelters there.

I've done alot of research, despite all the bad press Pitbulls have good temperaments, dog aggression is the only problem. All the responsible websites say you can never trust them 100% with other dogs, so they should be seperated when left alone.

I was watching the other day a DVD where they were (clicker)training a rescued pitbull bitch for assistent dog. Among things like pushing buttons, light switches etc, she was trained to be around other dogs and able to play with them. The latter was a training that took a considerable amount of time, talking about many months.

The training with the other dogs included perfect obedience of the pitbull, knowing when play becomes too heated up, and stopping the play in time and in a gentle way.

An absolute wonderful dog it was. And fantastic trainers!

I thought that November Rain once mentioned she has a pitbull (mix?) in her shelter as well.

Nienke

hi, nice you like 'chichi' the white one :D she's only been here for about 6 weeks, she's about 1 yr old. she has already had a litter of 9 at her former owners, beautiful pups but i don't know the father.

with ringo, the black one, male, about 2yrs old, i had some problems in the past. as he is living here in a pack with many dogs, there are some minor fights sometimes and that's when he gets triggered. not so much causing fights himself but then joining other minor fights and he would be the one who really bites hard causing wholes in the backs or backlegs of inferior dogs. so i had to put him in the part of my garden which is joint to the open terrasse and open balcony door and i have more control over him, also there are no dogs which he would be likely to have problems with... he's been fine since and also more happy always being close to me. also before that he had a fight with one of the other males here and would not stop and bite hard even the other dog already on his back and giving in... this i don't know of my other dogs. otherwise lovely playing with most of the dogs and no problem, but i would not count on that 100%.

chichi hasn't been here long enough to say very much, as the real 'face' mostly shows after a few months :o but for now she is lovely with puppies, playful with all others. the same as ringo though, if there's trouble somewhere she needs to join and wants to bite, too. also if i'm angry at one of the other dogs or do grooming or anything else with them, she comes up and wants to 'help'. but she's very soft and easy to tell off.

so both can live in a pack with many dogs and puppies and cause not much more problems as any other dog here would do sometimes :D

I've been looking for a Pitbull cross for a while, I don't want a pure bred because of issues with dog aggression. While I realize that anything with Pitbull may still be dog agressive I believe the chances will be reduced. I also plan to have proper training, nueter and socialize the dog with other dogs.

There are many Pitbulls advertised, but I can't find anyone who has cross breeds (preferably I'd like a Pitbull crossed with common thai dog or even a labrador).

In other countries it's easy to find cross breeds, but here it seems they are either pure bred or 'Ma Thai'. I believe alot of the 'pure breds' are actually cross breeds, but I can't find anyone honest enough to tell me what they are. I've spoken to the shelters, but of course they don't really know what kind of dogs their pups are.

Hi There,

I ,do agree on nienke reply and why won t u go for the real thing anyway its well worth it as long as you know what you are doing. If you want a mongrel then get one from a shelter I have been training and still am currently having a rather pleasing experience with em..pits are great but only for experienced dog owners I recommend.

Good luck

Hi There,

I ,do agree on nienke reply and why won t u go for the real thing anyway its well worth it as long as you know what you are doing. If you want a mongrel then get one from a shelter I have been training and still am currently having a rather pleasing experience with em..pits are great but only for experienced dog owners I recommend.

Good luck

There's several reasons I'd like a mixed breed, but the main is because I already have 2 dogs and have read that Pits can't ever be trusted 100% with other dogs and should not be left alone with them. I'm experienced with dogs and would take all efforts for proper training etc. I've seen several ppl over here with Pits who have no idea how to train dogs, their dogs seem to have great temperaments and are left to run around and don't start fights, however the dogs have been 2 years or younger.

So I'd like cross-breed so it would be a bit more settled.

There's several reasons I'd like a mixed breed, but the main is because I already have 2 dogs and have read that Pits can't ever be trusted 100% with other dogs and should not be left alone with them. I'm experienced with dogs and would take all efforts for proper training etc. I've seen several ppl over here with Pits who have no idea how to train dogs, their dogs seem to have great temperaments and are left to run around and don't start fights, however the dogs have been 2 years or younger.

I find it actually quite enlightening to read a post as of mixed. Mixed knows what s/he wants, is full aware of the consequences that come with having/caring for a dog and with having a (mixed) pitbull breed and shows responsibility.

That cross-bred pitbulls will not have similar traits as the full-bred pitbull depends, I think, on how much the pups inherit from the mother and father dogs.

I had several years ago a lovely mixed lab with pitbull in boarding. He was wonderful until the moment he got pissed of. It was as the coin flipped, he changed from a nice out-going dog into a ready to attack dog. That part certainly came from the pitbull side. Now I don't want to say that this will happen with every cross-bred pitbull, just that by being a cross-bred doesnot necessarily rules out that particular part of it.

Nienke

I had several years ago a lovely mixed lab with pitbull in boarding. .....by being a cross-bred doesnot necessarily rules out that particular part of it.

Nienke

I agree 100%, so in regards to training etc. I would treat the dog like a Pitbull.

I agree 100%, so in regards to training etc. I would treat the dog like a Pitbull.

:o Not with those huge spikey collars around their necks, I hope :D:D

Although ... actually I like those big broad leather collars much more than the narrow ones, but the spikes they can keep. :D

Nienke

One of the dangers of owning and breeding Pit Bulls in Thailand is getting them bred into the local soi dog population. If someone does find any pit bull crosses they should have them neutered or spayed and not let them breed. I dont think any explanation is needed as to why a Wat full of half breed Pit Bulls is a very bad idea.

Furthermore anyone breeding half breed pits here is completely irresponsible when one considers the dangers of such things. If your in Louisiana and breeding hog dogs cross breeds make some sense but in Thailand keeping the price above 5,000 baht even for unregistered but well known 100% Pit Bulls gives some insurance they will not be running loose up and down the streets getting into trouble. I personally just turned down one family from owning one of my dogs for this very reason, Irresponsible.

One of the dangers of owning and breeding Pit Bulls in Thailand is getting them bred into the local soi dog population. If someone does find any pit bull crosses they should have them neutered or spayed and not let them breed. I dont think any explanation is needed as to why a Wat full of half breed Pit Bulls is a very bad idea.

Furthermore anyone breeding half breed pits here is completely irresponsible when one considers the dangers of such things. If your in Louisiana and breeding hog dogs cross breeds make some sense but in Thailand keeping the price above 5,000 baht even for unregistered but well known 100% Pit Bulls gives some insurance they will not be running loose up and down the streets getting into trouble. I personally just turned down one family from owning one of my dogs for this very reason, Irresponsible.

Good post. Agree completely. :o

Good post. Agree completely. :o

I agree also, if someone finds Pitbull cross pls let me know, I would like to have one and would definetely have it neutered. As can be seen in the photos above it appears that Pitbull crosses are around and are making it into the Soi dog population. I've also seen Thais with Pitbulls let them run around outside. Their are ppl selling them in markets and on the internet who will tell you they are not dog aggressive.

Hi There,

Good luck

A cross can be all good of some.....but WHY Pit?.....you want personality forget the pits.....pits offer zip compared to other breads, even street muts are better! Stop listening to people that know zip about dogs. Check it out...How did this Pit thing come in to being popular with people that love pets? What breading was done to come up with those arm Pits of the dog world. Some day some people gone start understanding the truth.......sorry but so many people are getting steared in the wrong direction and end up in a f...ed up fix......give your self a chance......forget the Pit.

There are many ppl who are knowledgeable about dogs who like pits, the big drawback with the breed is dog aggression. They have a higher than average temprement rating, are intelligent, strong and athletic.

I'm talking about the smaller, compact dogs, not the 50kg plus ones with huge heads.

i have many dogs here with me, purebreeds (golden, dalmatians, gsds, labrador, great dane) and all kind of mixes, also (suspected) pit mixes. i have to admit, the dogs which touch my heart the most and have the most 'soul' amongst them, are small, ordinary mixes, goldens and my great dane :o

but i love them all, and all are special :D

Edited by elfe

A cross can be all good of some.....but WHY Pit?.....you want personality forget the pits.....pits offer zip compared to other breads, even street muts are better! Stop listening to people that know zip about dogs. Check it out...How did this Pit thing come in to being popular with people that love pets? What breading was done to come up with those arm Pits of the dog world. Some day some people gone start understanding the truth.......sorry but so many people are getting steared in the wrong direction and end up in a f...ed up fix......give your self a chance......forget the Pit.

I suspect you have never owned a Pit Bull in your life and furthermore I suspect you have no understanding of the breed or its history. You are simply typing over the top, If you have something to say negative, back it up with personal experience, science, statistics, eye witness accounts or anything but emotion like you have done here, its a bore.

It makes me sick to my stomach the way some people go on about subjects that are beyond their undrstanding. Pit Bulls can make fine pets or they can make horrible pets, mostly it depends on the owner. In order to train dogs there is only one requirement, you must be smarter than the dog!

I suspect you have never owned a Pit Bull in your life and furthermore I suspect you have no understanding of the breed or its history. You are simply typing over the top, If you have something to say negative, back it up with personal experience, science, statistics, eye witness accounts or anything but emotion like you have done here, its a bore.

It makes me sick to my stomach the way some people go on about subjects that are beyond their undrstanding. Pit Bulls can make fine pets or they can make horrible pets, mostly it depends on the owner. In order to train dogs there is only one requirement, you must be smarter than the dog!

The main reason I'm worried about Pitbulls is that I have another dog, responsible Pitbull websites say you can never trust them 100% with other dogs, so they should never be left alone with other dogs. However I've seen Pitbull owners over here who say it's not a problem. Who do you think?

By looking for a cross breed I was hoping to tone down the aggressive tendencies, a cross with a Thai dog would hopefully make strong dog well suited to local conditions.

hi, physically stronger ok, could be. but don't forget that thai dogs are very territorial and no lambs either! from my experience here with my many dogs i would definately say that most occuring aggression comes from my thai dogs and pit mixes and my labrador male. the pit mixes (how much of this gene is in them at all i don't know but i can see it from features and BEHAVIOUR) play a lot 'harder' than the other dogs, also get triggered easier and bite harder if it comes to biting than the others. as you will have only two dogs then things could be smoother if they get along well, but there is still risk, it also depends on your dog you got now and how it will train and accept the other and also about personal liking between the dogs etc in the future which no one will know at first.

so to be on the safe side, if i was looking for an addition to my dog, i would not chose one necessarily to prevent possible problems later which could be nervewretching for you as well... it does not have to be the case but it could.

if you really want one by any means, then go for a puppy of opposite sex to your existing dog.

good luck!