Using Thai driving licence in UK for car rental

Hi

I am having to fly back to the Uk next week to attend my Mum’s funeral.

I need to hire a car at Manchester Airport for 8 days, but I’m having trouble finding out exactly which documents are required. 
I have my UK passport and full licence, but no proof of address (utility bill etc). Also I will have no credit history so doubt I’d pass the ‘soft credit check’.

Europcar are saying I can use my UK passport, airline boarding pass and Thai licence instead and it will negate the need for proof of address and credit check. But my Thai licence is the first two year provisional. Can I use this licence in the UK please?

Id be very grateful for any help and advice offered

Thank you

I can't answer your question re. the licence but just a word of warning on payments.

Last year, I paid for my UK car hire about 2 months before I needed the car, at the time of booking online, and paid in full (apart from some small extras that had to be paid at pick-up) with my UK debit card. No problems there.

When picking-up the car and after having presented Thai licence, flight boarding pass etc., I tried to pay the small extras with the same UK card I'd used for booking. The computer just spat it out - couldn't accept that UK card. It seems to have been that my UK card was registered to a UK address (true and not normally a problem) but the computer, via the licence, had now registered me as 'Thai' and couldn't reconcile that with a UK address. I had to use my Bangkok Bank card, with Thai address, to pay and that sailed through with no hitches whatsoever.

How is the OP paying for the rental? Usually that form of payment has to have the same address as the driving licence.

The 2-year 'provisional' Thai licence is generally NOT accepted by UK car rental shops.

5 minutes ago, howerde said:

As i understand it the initial 2 year license is a provisional license, the 5 year license is a full license, would the UK know that?  I can not remember the wording on the 2 year license'

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

Using the link above it says you can drive on a full license, does not mention provisional as an option

My licence definitely says ‘Provisional’. It expires in October, and I assume I’ll then get a 5 year replacement.

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

How is the OP paying for the rental? Usually that form of payment has to have the same address as the driving licence.

The 2-year 'provisional' Thai licence is generally NOT accepted by UK car rental shops.

I’m intending to pay all amounts due with my Uk debit card which Europcar say is fine. 

3 minutes ago, Ian Roberts said:

My licence definitely says ‘Provisional’. It expires in October, and I assume I’ll then get a 5 year replacement.

Yes when you renew your 2 year license, you get a 5 year license, assuming you are not on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry if so then you get another 2 year

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

I can't answer your question re. the licence but just a word of warning on payments.

Last year, I paid for my UK car hire about 2 months before I needed the car, at the time of booking online, and paid in full (apart from some small extras that had to be paid at pick-up) with my UK debit card. No problems there.

When picking-up the car and after having presented Thai licence, flight boarding pass etc., I tried to pay the small extras with the same UK card I'd used for booking. The computer just spat it out - couldn't accept that UK card. It seems to have been that my UK card was registered to a UK address (true and not normally a problem) but the computer, via the licence, had now registered me as 'Thai' and couldn't reconcile that with a UK address. I had to use my Bangkok Bank card, with Thai address, to pay and that sailed through with no hitches whatsoever.

Thank you. I have specified that I need to pay with a Uk debit card and have been told that this is no problem. But I’m still not sure I can actually arrange this. 

47 minutes ago, howerde said:

Yes when you renew your 2 year license, you get a 5 year license, assuming you are not on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry if so then you get another 2 year

Thank you. I’m on a 12 month extension based on marriage 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Ian Roberts said:

I’m intending to pay all amounts due with my Uk debit card which Europcar say is fine. 

If you are dealing direct with Europcar (not a car trawler website) and Europcar have confirmed that the debit card is OK, then there shouldn't be an issue as long as the debit card account balance covers the total cost plus any add-on security deposits, insurance, etc..

Can you download an account statement for the debit card, and does it show a UK address? That should serve as additional ID in lieu of utility or tax bills.

For information: If you are no longer UK resident, it is illegal to drive there on the UK driving licence. Using a relative or friend's address doesn't make it legal either. The fine is £1000*, but the police don't go looking for foreigners flaunting this rule. But, in the event of an accident, and your identifying as non-resident, the UK driving licence will be declared invalid and this may open a can of worms regarding any insurance.

* The fine is for not keeping your home address current on your UK driving licence, not being non-resident. The DVLC doesn't accept overseas addresses or UK addresses where you don't live so it is Catch 22.

Drive safely for your 8 days there and I send my condolences.

Edited by NanLaew

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If you are dealing direct with Europcar (not a car trawler website) and Europcar have confirmed that the debit card is OK, then there shouldn't be an issue as long as the debit card account balance covers the total cost plus any add-on security deposits, insurance, etc..

Can you download an account statement for the debit card, and does it show a UK address? That should serve as additional ID in lieu of utility or tax bills.

For information: If you are no longer UK resident, it is illegal to drive there on the UK driving licence. Using a relative or friend's address doesn't make it legal either. The fine is £1000*, but the police don't go looking for foreigners flaunting this rule. But, in the event of an accident, and your identifying as non-resident, the UK driving licence will be declared invalid and this may open a can of worms regarding any insurance.

* The fine is for not keeping your home address current on your UK driving licence, not being non-resident. The DVLC doesn't accept overseas addresses or UK addresses where you don't live so it is Catch 22.

Drive safely for your 8 days there and I send my condolences.

Firstly, many thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it.

My Uk licence is up to date address wise. I own the property that it registered to. Not a friends or relatives address.

I spoke to Europcar again yesterday and yet again they changed the requirements. 
So I contacted Enterprise in a town near my property. They stated that I should use my Uk licence, passport and debit card. However, they also said that they would run an electoral register check to confirm that I am registered at the address quoted. I know that I am not registered as we bought the property 2 months before we left for Thailand and rent it to my nephew and his wife. So, another hurdle that I can’t get over. 
I’ve now given up on the idea of renting a car. Have arranged return taxis from the airport and we’ll use buses and taxis to get around locally for the 8 days back there. 
Hopefully it’s a long time before I need to return to the UK!

Thanks once again 

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 3:53 AM, Ian Roberts said:

Thai licence is the first two year provisional. Can I use this licence in the UK please?

I would say no.

PS - your UK licence - the plastic part has to be up to date - it only lasts 10 years - not up to the age 70 as on the paper part - if you still have that.

Edited by kwilco