car ramp anyone using it?

Hi folks, i've came across this on shopee, which looks like a rip off of rhihno ramp for the US.

I would like to try changing my oil, transmission fluid by myself which i was keen on doing it for a loooong time.

https://shopee.co.th/Car-ramp-หนุ่นล้อ-ยกสูง(-20-cm)-ซ่อมบำรุง-ล้างทำความสะอาด-1950-B-ต่อคู่-ส่งไว-1-2-วัน--i.115329010.23981802012

Anyone used them before? What its like? Is it safe?

I can't be arsed to jack the car up and i dont have the knowledghe of jacking it.

and im quite worried being crushed by the car. its gonna be a slow painful death i assume....

I would not trust those things. If you really want that go get the metal ones. 

I Jack my car and it’s honestly not easy. The Jack points are very easy to find but then it’s difficult to get the stands under the same Jack point. I think I am supposed to Jack it up from the crossmember but the car is so low and it’s so dark under there I have trouble finding the Jack spot, although I can see it easy when I’m under the car. 

if you can find a curb to park near and lay on the lower ground that’s really about all the space you need for an oil change. You would just run your front tires right up to the curb. I wanted to try this but it’s hard to find a good spot. 

I mean I’d be inspecting the crap out of that plastic thing for 5 minutes b4 every use. Not worth it. Metal ramps if you want ramps. If I personally had to guess those plastic things would be the best way to kill yourself under a car

• Agree 2

When changing the oil in high end older sports cars (Porsche, Benz) I use a pump because Im changing oil every 4,ooo miles, then once a year I lube up my butt and take it to the dealership.

Otherwise I use Jiffy lube.

I dont go under cars, thats not in my job description.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

i just want to see the gooey dirty liquid pouring out from the hole.  

my intial plan was when ramped up, put some dead mags underneath for safety.

these dead mags are like 200-500 a pop.

oh and i saw those metal ramps on shoppe for like 3KB, but its heavy ass like 6 kgs a pcs

442011763_889324526572615_6568026923887770833_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s960x960&_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=247b10&_nc_ohc=IOdeUk3_NeIQ7kNvgGZZHny&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkk6-1.fna&oh=00_AYDm9fgdx46HJLKeGDzlBBtxxV4NGwngyY5zywejfY0g5g&oe=664CBDA7

Edited by villageidiotY2K
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yagoda said:

When changing the oil in high end older sports cars (Porsche, Benz) I use a pump because Im changing oil every 4,ooo miles, then once a year I lube up my butt and take it to the dealership.

Otherwise I use Jiffy lube.

I dont go under cars, thats not in my job description.

Ditto - I use an oil extractor every 4 months and then to the shop once a year where the boys drain the oil fully and replace the oil filter - I am now too old to get under and back up without discomfort for days afterwards 😞   I can still change the engine air and cabin filters myself.  When I can no longer do those things myself, then I know I am officially 'very old'.  

Something lik works fine - 60W 12V ไฟฟ้ารถปั๊มน้ำมันน้ำมันดิบปั๊ม Extractor Transfer เครื่องยนต์ปั๊มดูด + ท่อสำหรับรถยนต์เรือรถจักรยานยนต์ | Lazada.co.th

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Ditto - I use an oil extractor every 4 months and then to the shop once a year where the boys drain the oil fully and replace the oil filter - I am now too old to get under and back up without discomfort for days afterwards 😞   I can still change the engine air and cabin filters myself.  When I can no longer do those things myself, then I know I am officially 'very old'.  

Something lik works fine - 60W 12V ไฟฟ้ารถปั๊มน้ำมันน้ำมันดิบปั๊ม Extractor Transfer เครื่องยนต์ปั๊มดูด + ท่อสำหรับรถยนต์เรือรถจักรยานยนต์ | Lazada.co.th

Draining from the pan sucks the large hairy ladyboy when you have to take off 8 bolts and a cover to get at the drain plug. Do that on your back.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Hi folks, i've came across this on shopee, which looks like a rip off of rhihno ramp for the US.

I would like to try changing my oil, transmission fluid by myself which i was keen on doing it for a loooong time.

https://shopee.co.th/Car-ramp-หนุ่นล้อ-ยกสูง(-20-cm)-ซ่อมบำรุง-ล้างทำความสะอาด-1950-B-ต่อคู่-ส่งไว-1-2-วัน--i.115329010.23981802012

I can't be arsed to jack the car up and i dont have the knowledghe of jacking it.

and im quite worried being crushed by the car. its gonna be a slow painful death i assume....

The point is it depends on where your drain plugs are and access to the filter, as they will make the car tilt back. I do most repairs my self but oil changes I take elsewhere, They make money on the oil and filter, so it only costs about 500b labour (not dealerships). as for jacking, your handbook should show you where, What would you do in the event of a puncture ?

On 5/17/2024 at 4:28 PM, Yagoda said:

Draining from the pan sucks the large hairy ladyboy when you have to take off 8 bolts and a cover to get at the drain plug. Do that on your back.

Yep.  And I had the stupid rattling plastic 'protection covers' removed when I got the car. It is a 4WD SUV - but I have abolutely no intention of ever going 'off road' in a Honda CRV. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 11:23 AM, brianthainess said:

as for jacking, your handbook should show you where, What would you do in the event of a puncture ?

I'd never crawl under a car that's jacked up using the car's own jack.  I've never needed to get under the car or pickup, in order to change a flat.  I've seen too many fall off the old timey bumper jacks.  Even on solid concrete, the jacks tend to slide out from under the car if you push in any direction.  On a gravelly and/or uneven road, they're death traps for anyone climbing under the car.  In my driveway, I jack the car onto a tripod jackstand.  On the side of the road, I cross my fingers and stay out from under any part of a car on a jack.

Back home, I have a nice set of Walmart Rhino plastic ramps that I used all the time.  I can't open Shopee from here so I don't know if they're comparable to the OP's link.  But they're plenty stout to change oil, shocks, etc on a normal size vehicle.  In fact, I prefer them to my old steel ramps because they have better traction.  Rated to 12,000 lb GVW, I wouldn't push them anywhere near that, but they are well engineered and work great on my soccer Mom Sienna van, front or back.

Most of my recent cars (after 2000), the oil filter is accessible from the top so I may eventually go to a siphon oil change system.  I'm almost old enough.  But I still like to get the dregs out the drainhole and see what grew in my oilpan since the last change.

Edited by impulse

On 5/17/2024 at 10:22 AM, villageidiotY2K said:

I have a pair of those I bought from Shopee. Supports the front of my pickup no problem and not flimsy at all.

3 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Yep.  And I had the stupid rattling plastic 'protection covers' removed when I got the car. It is a 4WD SUV - but I have abolutely no intention of ever going 'off road' in a Honda CRV. 

My cover takes 90% ofthe time for my oil changes. 

even when I’m being ultra careful it is next to impossible to get all the little clips back on my Honda. The design is so poor. I know if I ever let a Thai change the oil every clip will be gone. I have a system I use masking tape and it sorta keeps the clip things from moving. I guess you have to have a bloody Honda to know what I mean. It’s a pain even with my system

On 5/19/2024 at 5:37 PM, Robert Paulson said:

My cover takes 90% ofthe time for my oil changes. 

even when I’m being ultra careful it is next to impossible to get all the little clips back on my Honda. The design is so poor. I know if I ever let a Thai change the oil every clip will be gone. I have a system I use masking tape and it sorta keeps the clip things from moving. I guess you have to have a bloody Honda to know what I mean. It’s a pain even with my system

Think about getting rid of the middle/rear one - basically all they do is to protect the under car parts for those driving on dirt/rocky roads. The front one for the engine cover is useful - but the rest are rubbish and badly designed - they come loose a lot and rattle/vibrate. There is some argument they improve airflow under the car and therefore save fuel - but I doubt it make any real difference at 60-80ks which is by far the majority of speed at which we all drive.