UK visa invitation letter proof of finances

When submitting supporting evidence for a UK visitor visa application, is there a need to disclose banking details. I'm happy enough to submit a P60, and a redacted front page of a bank statement (obscuring the account number), showing savings balance, because I don't really trust someone at VFS to safeguard that data. They don't need to know my bank account number, do they?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, you do need to include your banking details if you are acting as a financial sponsor, whether an obscured account number is acceptable, I know not.  A P60 whilst helpful, is only proof of what you have earned, it doesn't prove you still have the money or that its available to sponsor the visit.

I've only ever submitted un-altered bank statements so can't comment on whether they will have anything to say on that.  However, many people including myself, regularly give their bank details to complete strangers on the phone etc.  Your bank should have safeguards in place such as One Time Passwords that will prevent your account number alone from being useful to fraudsters.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ian carman said:

Of course you have to show it otherwise it could be a copy of someone else’s account.I think you need about £2k balance to be a sponsor 

You need to show the appropriate amount to cover the costs of the proposed visit. 

Unlike Schengen visas there is not a specified amount per day - £2k would not come close in my case so you need to satisfy the ECO that the amount is sufficient.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, bank statements needed. When I sponsored my wife some years ago, I gave 6 months of bank statements printed from my online bank and highlighted my salary payment.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ian carman said:

Of course you have to show it otherwise it could be a copy of someone else’s account.I think you need about £2k balance to be a sponsor 

There is no specified amount for UK visitor visa sponsor. 

Edited by roo860

VFS staff don’t have sight of the statements if the applicant uploads the supporting evidence themselves, only the UKVI decision maker will have access.

As the previous poster has rightly pointed out, there is no minimum figure required to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that you have sufficient funds available, you and the applicant need to satisfy the ECO that there are sufficient funds available for the trip declared in the application, it’s affordable to you and that it’s reasonable for you to do so.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ade591 said:

Yes, bank statements needed. When I sponsored my wife some years ago, I gave 6 months of bank statements printed from my online bank and highlighted my salary payment.

One month would have achieved the same result.

Less paperwork (but enough to evidence financial adequacy) is best.

Edited by hotandsticky

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

There is no specified amount for UK visitor visa sponsor. 

Correct.

And what would be considered adequate will depend on length of stay, stated purpose of visit, stated itinerary and planned activities  etc etc.

A month or two visit to see family, staying the whole time in the family home, obviously needs much less in way of funds than a 6 month visit for tourism with stays in hotels etc.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Please forgive my ignorance - I may have missed something in the guidelines.

I intend taking my wife to the UK in December for 3 weeks to visit family.  I have been on the Government website and started filling out the Application Form [I know it is too early yet but it can be saved and sent later].

My question is - the form seems clear enough but where and how do you submit all the supporting documents and who to?  We have all the documents scanned but I don't know what to do with them.

Thank you for any help and guidance.

12 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

My question is - the form seems clear enough but where and how do you submit all the supporting documents and who to?  We have all the documents scanned but I don't know what to do with them.

The opportunity to upload your supporting evidence will present itself as part of the actual submission process, you cannot upload and save in advance.